All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 4:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Release date for hobbit minis?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Adanedhel88 wrote:
well that seriously saddens the mood and my anticipation for the new release...might as well give us a date then and avoid the speculation online.

Good point, they should give a date - no more needed than that yet. We all know it's coming anyway.
Humph... this has left us all a bit deflated! Good things come to those who wait I suppose :) (that was an attempt at cheerfulness...)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I guess this means that they'll announce the Hobbit stuff at the end of November. Disappoint.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Again, what's with the secrecy? Judging from the responses here, the waiting frustrates more people than it draws in. Has anyone ever heard a person say "oh, another week with no news? I'M SOOO EXCITED!!!!" It just seems like silly marketing strategies to me, especially for the adaptation of a 75 year-old book.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:33 am 
Lord Hurin wrote:
Again, what's with the secrecy? Judging from the responses here, the waiting frustrates more people than it draws in. Has anyone ever heard a person say "oh, another week with no news? I'M SOOO EXCITED!!!!" It just seems like silly marketing strategies to me, especially for the adaptation of a 75 year-old book.

Well I think it's not too much of a problem...but in the internet days everyone wants to know everything before it's even officially released-what's the point in that? In my opinion it just spoils everything...you know that the minis are coming very soon now, but 1 or 2 weeks more don't really make a difference. Why is everyone so busy and impatient then? Most of us have tons of minis to paint from the LOTR range, so perhaps it might be an idea working a bit on reducing the backlog before purchasing new stuff ;)

I'm very exited for the new Hobbit stuff, but I can wait :) Plus, the movie is the biggest advertising for the minis anyway, so no silly marketing strategies!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Guys don't be put down! The Hobbit miniatures WILL be released. Just because its going to be released a few weeks later doesn't really matter. I was hoping as well for previews to start but oh well its not the end of the world. There are a lot of things you can critisise GW about, but this is not one of them.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:47 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GW did introduce false hope by putting a picture of Gandalf on the back cover of the current White Dwarf.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Firstly, like almost everyone here I'm gutted that it now seems the models won't be out this month. I've been eagerly checking the forums relentlessly for the last few days desperate for a peek and been ridiculously excited about getting WD on Saturday and drooling over all the lovely new figures. The news that we've got to wait another month is very frustrating.

BUT

I don't see any way whatsoever you can blame GW for this let alone say they're damaging customer relations. GW have never hinted, implied or suggested that the Hobbit figures would be out in November (beyond the odd mention of GW Managers saying 'prepare for Nov 3rd' which was obviously them taking the same best guess we were). As 'certain' as we were, the 'preview on the 27th on sale on the 3rd' dates all came from the forums and us based on when the new WD was coming out! Granted they released the original LOTR stuff in the November before the films but that was 10 years ago and hardly proof of their current marketing strategy.

GW have moved to this 1 week preview cycle that they seem to like for ALL their systems, whilst they haven't given us a date for the Hobbit, they don't give us dates for any other releases either. Frustrating as it may seem, GW have actually had nothing to do with all the excitement over the last 2 weeks, it's just been us working ourselves up and deciding the figs should be released next Saturday!

So lets all just relax a bit, enjoy November, try and clear the painting backlog and look forward to (presumably) Friday 30th Nov and a whole host of new toys for Christmas! 8)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I might need a hand clearing my painting backlog!!!
Still I agree - it will come :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If I was to wait until my back log was clear before the hobbit was released then it would be another 30 years minimum

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

They definitely had something in mind for 3rd November which now has vanished from the local store's schedule, so you do get the feeling that there's been a problem, and then speculation kicks in (problems with early castings? legal problems over the Radagast leak? etc)
However I concede that they never promised anything for this weekend so I guess I should put the pitchfork and flaming torch away and concentrate on something else instead.
Feanor has inspired me to start a Moria board so I may focus on that now instead. Hopefully I can use it for some Misty Mountain scenarios from the Hobbit soon enough too!!
Thanks for the injection of some sanity.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

elliodoc wrote:

Amen to that!, I'm also thinking about building that board after Feanors example, please share your progress :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Ordered extra White Dwarfs anticipating Hobbit stuff.. Now I'm stuck with a ton of Devlan Mud about Chaos Warriors... Fail.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

, its more of the 'neglect' for the hobby the last few months that annoys me. the last release of a new miniature was a bit of the moria range,and alteration to the entire system by means of new rules, a repackaging of the mini's pay more for less. that 'release' was somewhere in march this year. white dwarf coverage of the hobby has been close to non.i was tempted to get a subcription but decided not to. even if they didnt release any miniature pre-orders this weekend,or in november it would be just nice to see some sort of content anywhere. a sneak peek, or some preview pics. id be more than happy than look at the same pic's of whats to come for 2 months than all this secrecy.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aye, thanks Dr Grant for putting it back into perspective. I'd forgotten that GW hadn't actually made an announcement and that it was all guesswork... :oops:

I still don't like GW's new policy of waiting until the last possible moment. I'm a budgeter with more than one hobby, and if I know a few weeks in advance that something is coming out, I'll put some money aside for it. It doesn't help that the nearest GW is a 45 minute drive in good traffic and that I have a weakness for Orks and Orcs (meaning I'll buy them and never paint or play with them!)

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bartelomeus wrote:
elliodoc wrote:

Amen to that!, I'm also thinking about building that board after Feanors example, please share your progress :oops:

Sounds good, do you have a link?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bartelomeus wrote:
I'm also thinking about building that board after Feanors example, please share your progress :oops:

me too :D . I got a bit stuck in the planning stages a few weeks ago though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GW online article on the new WD

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/b ... id=5400004

Oh well, another month to save up for the new release.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

[quote="Mad_Dan on TLA]Hi

I lifted this from GW website

New products
For those of you who are Games Workshop Hobbyists, our new products pipeline is probably what
interests you most. Sadly this is not something that I can say too much about: keeping details of our
future releases secret until just before they are available to buy adds to the excitement and success of
each launch. In the last 12 months we have narrowed the disclosure window to the weekend before
release and sales of new products - and of White Dwarf which showcases the new products - have
been significantly higher as a result.
What I can say is that we will release some amazing products this year. Products that will surprise and
delight Hobbyists. We plan to do so every month, including December 2012 when we will release our
new Hobbit range to coincide with the film. And... ahh, but that would spoil the surprise. You will just
have to wait and see. You will not be disappointed.

Mark Wells, CEO of Games Workshop

Its from a press release issued July this year so is safely in the public domain[/quote]

i wonder what the suprise is... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Interesting read indeed... Thanks for the info Sid 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

SidTheSloth wrote:
[quote="Mad_Dan on TLA]Hi
We plan to do so every month, including December 2012 when we will release our
new Hobbit range to coincide with the film. And... ahh, but that would spoil the surprise. You will just
have to wait and see. You will not be disappointed.

[/quote]

So pretty much this entire time, we've kinda known that it would be December? FAIL.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next