All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oct_7_update_Orc of the red eye + Uruk warband
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like large armies :D
Good luck with the painting.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the positive comments - much appreciated :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Superb painting on your work. Very clean. 8)

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent work, the grey Uruks are really nice and something different.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

At first I thought the grey was too bland, but when I saw it mixed in with the others I thought they looked good!
 Post subject: Re: Nov_16_update_Knight_Model_Boromir
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:28 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Glad you guys liked the grey uruks. I have nearly finished the last 40 of the massive army and will post pics soon. In the mean time a few have asked to see photos of the Knight Models and I purchased Boromir so have added some pics. The model comes in pieces in a 'presentation' tin. It is very well packed with dense foam. You also get a card with your model # (I think they produce 500 of each sculpt?) and mine was #260. On the back of the card is a story about the character, but this is in Spanish. There was also a plactic stand for the model (well I think it was a stand), but I can't find this at the moment (its in the pile somewhere!).

Anyway, I have glued him together with photos below. Obviously I have a bit of green stuffing to do, but nothing I can't manage. The parts fit together quite well. The mini is very, very heavy! The detail is superb. Bottom line - this is an exquisite miniature. I know someone will say 'hurry up and paint him' but I am going to take my time over this. My painting skills are not that great so I will just work on small sections at a time doing the very best job I can.

The plan is to have him standing over a camp fire (which I will need to sculpt) so the painting will involve some OSL which I have never done before. It will likely take me a year to finish this so don't hold your breath!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Ah! Edge67 shows his courage!

Yes, this is a 500 piece limited edition, though I think I read somewhere that all the new minis they produce are no longer limited. Can't seem to find any reference to it now, so I might have dreamed that. :/

Have you considered not attaching all the parts right from the start? It's something I hate doing but in some of these big miniatures sometimes it really is necessary so that the brush can reach all the areas without any problems (these pieces can be very tough to lift and position as they are so big and heavy!).

Also, you might also want to polish it a bit with really fine steel wool (proper to use with miniatures) to get an extra smooth surface. Its a bit messy and dusty (the mini will need a good wash and scrubing before priming!) but it really pays of in the end.

And you are 200% right. Great miniatures like these need to be treated as such and taking your time with it is definetely a great idea.

I'll follow this one with much interest mate!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:14 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

MacGothmog wrote:
Ah! Edge67 shows is courage!

Yes, this is a 500 piece limited edition, though I think I read somewhere that all the new minis they produce are no longer limited. Can't seem to find any reference to it now, so I might have dreamed that. :/

Have you considered not attaching all the parts right from the start? It's something I hate doing but in some of these big miniatures sometimes it really is necessary so that the brush can reach all the areas without any problems (these pieces can be very tough to lift and position as they are so big and heavy!).

Also, you might also want to polish it a bit with really fine steel wool (proper to use with miniatures) to get an extra smooth surface. Its a bit messy and dusty (the mini will need a good wash and scrubing before priming!) but it really pays of in the end.

And you are 200% right. Great miniatures like these need to be treated as such and taking your time with it is definetely a great idea.

I'll follow this one with much interest mate!

Yes - courage or stupidity! Don't know which one yet :dmf:

I didn't really consider trying to paint the separate parts and then attaching, and it's too late now (doh!?). Also, there are gaps that need green stuff so trying to fill and sculpt these with painted parts (and then having to re-paint) would be a major pain (for me at least). It's heavy and painting as one piece will certainly be a challenge - but I've done it with other minis (eg metal cave drake) so fingers crossed it will work.

Thanks for the tip about the steel wool. I have seen others use this. Is there actual special steel wool for minis or do you just use very fine steel wool made for other purposes?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Hmm. Looking at the miniature from the pics it would probably be a good idea to leave the arms (maybe just the sword hand, really) off and just attach after the long coat is done. It looks to be in the way to paint some of the inner parts. Of course, the mini is so big that it might actually be possible to do it. I dont have the miniature and pictures can be a bit deceiving.
The same goes for the 'flying' cloak that goes in the back.

The steel wool I have is from Andrea Miniatures, so I guess is 'special' in that way. Its just like any other steel wool, but its really fine and soft and doesnt leave scratches (wich would be counterproductive, really). Really good for big flat surfaces like the cloak and such.

PS. Did you buy any other minis from them or just this one?

Post subject: Re: Nov_18_update_120_uruks_done!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the tips! I agree that the sword hand looks like it might cause problems. Oh well - it will be an adventure whatever happens! I'll get some of that steel wool. Should use it on all my metal minis.

I only bought Boromir. They are expensive models (though well worth it) and I really wanted this one. I'll save the rest of my money to add to my armies and pay for the over-priced Hobbit boxed set when it comes out. Thanks again 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:10 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

They said it couldn't be done. But we showed them...didn't we kitty :kitten: maw haw haw.....
So I've finished 120 plastic uruks. Pics of whole army below. I tried to do a panorama shot but it didn't stitch together very well - but you get the idea. I used gretchen green for the final skin tone.
Now on to the 50 metal uruks...and then...TO WAR!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To war? I think you mean To basing! :P
Nice job on these. It's good to see a huge army of well painted guys, and I can appreciate the effort it took to paint them all up... :yay:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great army, would be a good opponent for my rohan forces I'm painting atm. It will be painfull to base.

I hope you show us more pics when there based.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

120 uruk-hai all in one pic - I must be dreaming. Very well done!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Amazing Uruk force! How many point is your army? Would look great on the field :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Awesome. So tidy too on every model.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Now that's a horde worthy of Isengard :yay:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for all the positive comments :) I'll post some pics of the first bunch of metal uruks soon.

theavenger001 wrote:
To war? I think you mean To basing! :P
Nice job on these. It's good to see a huge army of well painted guys, and I can appreciate the effort it took to paint them all up... :yay:

Basing shmasing... :P :P Actually, all the minis I paint will eventually be placed in huge battlescene dioramas. So that little rectangle of plastic/metal stuck to their feet will be removed and they will be glued directly to the scenery. So basing is a waste of time for me - unless I enter something in the painting challenge.

John Wayne wrote:
Amazing Uruk force! How many point is your army? Would look great on the field :)

Points...points...what is points precious?
OK - this will make some of you cry (and others laugh uncontrollably) - but I have never ever played the LOTR game so I have no idea how many points any of my armies are worth. I just collect all the minis and try to paint them. It is an affliction. :meh:

Last edited by edge67 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow, I don't think I could have the motivation of paitning without having the joy of using them on the table as an army. :o
 Post subject: Re: Nov_29_metal_uruk_warband
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I finished a bunch of metal uruks to add to my plastic horde. These were done pretty quick but I'm fairly happy with the results. A few highlights need smoothing out as they are too bright. I really want the uruks (and eventually my orc army) to be nice and dark and dirty and hopefully I've achieved that. I took a few close up photos as well as the entire group.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next