Which version of Galadriel is best?
Galadriel 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Galadriel, Protectress of Lothlorien 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Galadriel vs. Galadriel, Protectress of Lothlorien
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've been wondering which version of Galadriel is best; I'm planning to get one of them, but I don't want to get both yet.
:galadriel: :Smackdown: :galadriel:
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to who is best, and in what circumstances?

Thanks in advance,
Ithillien :kitten:
 Post subject: Re: Galadriel vs. Galadriel, Protectress of Lothlorien
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It depends on your play style and the role you want her to fill. I typically don't play heavy magic, and when I do I prefer Gandalf the Gray or Saruman the White in my Good forces. So I have played the Protectress far more than I have played her more mystical counterpart.

As the Protectress she has a lot of benefit. She is a very formidable combat model on her own. I have had a few games where I've even gone 1v1 with her against a Mordor Troll or Spider Queen (sometimes because of no choice, other times because the game was pretty much a wrap and I wanted to have some extra fun). Her Defense isn't very good but her high Fight and 3 Attacks means she usually will win the Fight roll. Cast Blinding Light right at the start of the game to help limit the threat of ranged fire and you still have Will left to counter spells if needed. If she does take a hit her special rule gives Fate rerolls and combined with her good Wound count she can stay in the battle a long time.

But one of my favorite factors is the War Aspect special rule. Most Evil models already have poor Courage, but the -1 is candy. Since I usually have one (maybe two) Sentinels in my army her -1 makes using Eldamar Madrigal a snap. And when I do break my opponent that -1 has them scurrying even faster than normal.

There is a lot to be said positive about her other aspect as well though, so if I was playing a Lothlorien force with some good combat heroes already I might use her.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:04 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Remember that War Aspect only has a 6in range, so the only ones that will be running are the ones that are right next to Galadriel, who should be dead anyway. While I've never played with either, combat version seems too delicate to be a good fighter, where as her hubby is great at combat and can do some pretty good magic. Her magic version can pretty much immobilise people every single turn, leaving dangerous models wide open for attack. Granted, it depends on what you want to use her for, but I would go with magic Galadriel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The war aspect version is good in a all hero army but her str 3 really does let her down against anything Def 6 or higher.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the help, It's much appreciated. I think I'm going to get the War Aspect one to start with simply because I love the model and also hereo heavy armies.
Her Cast Blinding light is death to anyone who is reliant on missile troops, and reducing most enemy units to Courage 1 is just stupidly amusing.
The Mirror is also useful in an all hero army, but then for similar points you can take Bombadil ...