All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:30 pm

Post subject: What's thecheapest 500 pt army with the Fellowship box?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I lucked out and got the original Fellowship box. Moneywise, what's the most affordable way to make a 500pt army
 Post subject: Re: What's thecheapest 500 pt army with the Fellowship box?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You cant really use the fellowship box in a 500 point army mate, unless youre going all hero :P.

If you're looking to put together a 500 pt army for as little money as possible you're probably best off buying some plastic warriors and a command box or some blister heroes, which are available for almost every army.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Bartelomeus wrote:
You cant really use the fellowship box in a 500 point army mate, unless youre going all hero :P.

If you're looking to put together a 500 pt army for as little money as possible you're probably best off buying some plastic warriors and a command box or some blister heroes, which are available for almost every army.

I have the very first box' which is only warriors' like elven swordsmen and archers along with humans. It's got 16 ekves and 16 men along with Moria goblins.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I hate to say it, but unfortunately those old boxed sets don't give you everything you need to make a legal army.

You didn't say whether you wanted a Good or Evil army, but it sounds like you're closest to a high elf army, and they can ally with the Fellowship. If you want an army of high elves, you'll probably need another box of "last alliance", and at least a couple of elf captains and a hero like Arwen (for her Nature's wrath). But they'll be hard to win with, unless you spring for some high elves with shield+spear...but these are finecast and somewhat expensive.

Really, the cheapest thing you can do is get the following:
1 box wood elves
1 blister Gildor (he can upgrade wood elves to numenorian exiles, and they can bring wood elf spears and throwing daggers plus they move fast)
1 blister high elf captain + banner
1 blister Arwen
Either 1 box last alliance, or preferably 1 to 2 blisters high elves with shield+spear.

That combo should get you to around 500 points, maybe more, give you a mobile wood elf force, plenty of bow fire, and enough magic to cause havoc in the right places. Later on you can add in the Twins for even more combat mayhem. Or you can attach Gandalf or Aragorn to the force to make use of their abilities...with one warning: bit heroes eat lots of points, and often aren't worth it until you're in the 700+ range unless you make an "all hero" army.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Any of the Fellowship sets are great for the variety of heroes you get. Aragorn and Gandalf are good for high level Heroes. Boromir, Legolas and Gimli can be used more often. The Hobbits have their places but I actually have never played them myself except for specific scenarios.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think he doesn't mean the Fellowship of the Ring (ie Frodo & co), but the box set with 16 High Elves, 8 Numenoreans and 24 Goblins (IRC), which has been loooooong out of production, but can still be found on Ebay incidentally.

The cheapest would be (I think) to buy the Elrond & Gil-Galad blister and scour Ebay for some more High Elves and a captain or stormcaller.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:30 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Telchar wrote:
The cheapest would be (I think) to buy the Elrond & Gil-Galad blister and scour Ebay for some more High Elves and a captain or stormcaller.

The local GW store manager is saying something similar. What would the captain and stormcaller do since the blister puts me to 478? (just learning the game.)

He's been a big help and is trying to get LOTR started at the store.

Telchar wrote:
I think he doesn't mean the Fellowship of the Ring (ie Frodo & co), but the box set with 16 High Elves, 8 Numenoreans and 24 Goblins (IRC), which has been loooooong out of production, but can still be found on Ebay incidentally.

Yep. Snagged it for $25 bucks. Though I can see where it's confusing. The original Fellowship Of The Ring box has none of the fellowship in it, yet the Good army in Mines of Moria is nothing but the Fellowship.

And I didn't care which army, Good or Bad, as long as turned my good fortune into a solid fighting force.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gotcha. I hadn't heard of that box referenced by that name before.

I started my LotR collection with the MoM set and the Last Alliance box. About the same combo overall. The Elves became Galadrim for my purposes because so many of our local players already had Rivendell forces, but the recommendations above are solid ones.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com