All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:36 pm

Post subject: Hi Everyone, a Few Questions if you don't mind!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all,

It is good to meet everybody (I didn't see an introductory section of the forum, but I very well could have just overlooked it!)! I am posting because I have recently been considering returning to the LoTR SBG, and was looking for some advice. I quit playing a while ago (shortly after the blue hardcover rulebook came out, maybe 2007 or 08?), and have lately been looking to get into a skirmish game with a more traditional fantasy setting. I have found I don't have time any more to play huge army battles, nor do I have the space for a 6' x4' table.

This has led to me searching out a good fantasy skirmish game with a nice range of models ( I found some nice rulesets, but many didn't have backgrounds/ models) that plays relatively quickly and cleanly. Unfortunately I searched high and low before I realized I had played one before....

That all said I'm looking at getting back into SBG and probably Battle Companies as well (I love the Campaign aspect of Mordheim/ Necromunda).

Unfortunately I don't have any of my LOTR stuff anymore, and I had a few questions regarding the game.

1) Should I pick up the Blue SBG rulebook again, or should I wait until GW releases their Hobbit boxed set (I'm wondering if it is likely they'll change or update the rules)?

2) Would I be correct in my guess that the forces books (The Fallen Realms, Mordor, The Free Kingdoms, etc), would be where I would find army building information? When I played last we had lots of soft cover books like "Shadows in the East" and "The Siege of Gondor," and what not.

3) What is a good point cost to start at? Assume I know nothing of the rules, it has been quite a while since I played.

4) Does the basic rulebook have a fair deal of scenarios? I can't remember and I get bored of "Destroy the other army" type games rather quickly.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help, It is much appreciated!
 Post subject: Re: Hi Everyone, a Few Questions if you don't mind!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

First of all, welcome back to the hobby Sabo!

1. Nothing is set in stone at the moment, but my instinct is that the rules will more than likely stay the same, with The Hobbit rules and updates being released in a Journeybook similar to the latest editions of FOTR, TTT and ROTK. But again, I wouldn't want you to go out and buy the rather pricey One Rulebook based on my advice only to find out it becomes redundant in a months time. So, although 99.9% would say buy it, it might be best to be patient and see what exactly The Hobbit will bring us.

2. You're right there. Each book is simply a compilation of all the profiles required for said faction. It also explains the rules for warbands, and there are six standard scenarios found in all sourcebooks along with a number of 'historic' scenarios that are unique to that particular sourcebook.

3. I've heard 600-750 being described as the 'sweet spot' for sbg - a good variety of standard troops, a number of special heroes and a smooth, not-dragged-out game speed. However, that's just hearsay; I've not actually played a game myself in a long time, so maybe that question is best left to someone with more experience.

4. I think it does, I'd have to check just to make sure, but the standard six scenarios you'd find in any of the sourcebooks replace them now and offer a decent variety anyway.

I hope that helps, and that you enjoy your time here. If you do pick up LOTR again, do you have an idea which faction you'd be going with?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The main "hardback" rulebook only has one example scenario which uses set participants, being Balin's Tomb. It does however include 4 various Battle Scenarios for point matches (The Relief Force, Take and Hold, Cornered! and Pitched Battle.) There is also rules for river and coastal raids and sieges. Oh there's an example of a points match siege battle in there to0...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Greetings, Sabotage! and welcome to the One Ring. Great to see you returning. I too have wandered to other game systems, but always come back to the best. Let me offer some suggestions for you:

Sabotage! wrote:
That all said I'm looking at getting back into SBG and probably Battle Companies as well (I love the Campaign aspect of Mordheim/ Necromunda).

If you enjoy Battle Companies-style gaming, check out the link in my signature to see some updated Battle Companies rules. I am currently working on some final tweaks and visual layout to make them into a full player-made supplement.

Sabotage! wrote:
1) Should I pick up the Blue SBG rulebook again, or should I wait until GW releases their Hobbit boxed set (I'm wondering if it is likely they'll change or update the rules)?

My guess is that there will be an updated mini-rulebook in the new Hobbit boxed set, as that has been GW's modus operandi to this point. So I would hold off on purchasing the big expensive "One Rulebook"

Sabotage! wrote:
2) Would I be correct in my guess that the forces books (The Fallen Realms, Mordor, The Free Kingdoms, etc), would be where I would find army building information? When I played last we had lots of soft cover books like "Shadows in the East" and "The Siege of Gondor," and what not.

Yes, the "Force" books have the new army construction rules in them (i.e. Warbands).

I like to collect all of the rulebooks, because of the various hobby bits, maps, scenarios, etc. However, if I were starting over right now, I would purchase the "Force" book for the army that I was choosing and some basic troops to start painting until I knew what GW is doing with the main ruleset. The Hobbit release is just around the corner, so it wouldn't be a long wait.

Sabotage! wrote:
3) What is a good point cost to start at? Assume I know nothing of the rules, it has been quite a while since I played.

I find about 300 points to be a good introductory level when I'm teaching new players. After that we generally expand up to 500 points, and then up to 750 points (which I like best). Once you get up to 1,000 points, you probably need to have some big gribblies (like dragons, trolls, or ents) or some heavy hitters (Aragorn, Gandalf, the Witch-king) to keep the game to a reasonable time length.

Sabotage! wrote:
4) Does the basic rulebook have a fair deal of scenarios? I can't remember and I get bored of "Destroy the other army" type games rather quickly.

The "Forces" books each have the six new standard scenarios in them, as well as some historical scenarios related to the armies in each book.

I hope that helps you out, sir!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies, they are much appreciated!

I think I'm going to hold off on the "One rulebook to rule them all," just to see what the Hobbit release contains (I definitely want to do Dwarves anyways, and probably Misty Mountain Goblins too).

That's really good news on the forces books, and I'm really glad they each contain scenarios, definitely need some scenarios! I've not decided which to pick up first, as I like at least one of the groups represented in each book (I'm thinking of working on some Easterlings first, then probably Dwarves or Gondor next, but honestly I wouldn't mind have a force from pretty much everywhere, except maybe the different elf groups). I'll probably try to pick up the Fallen Realms book first.

I think I'll work on building up two 300 point groups up, so I can play with some of my buddies (who hopefully will get involved, a couple love LoTR), and my Girlfriend (who also loves LoTR and enjoys small scale miniature games).

Erunion, your work on Battle Companies looks fantastic! I definitely don't remember it being so well developed when I last played (though I was just using the GW rules if I remember right). I favorited your site and will definitely have to give them game a go when I get a few figures.

I'm really excited to be back, and thanks Knighty, Tabletop, and Erunion for the greetings and replies!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just to chuck in my 2 cents:

1) I would definitely hold off buying the main rulebook, the profiles and character rules in it are now out of date and I think (purely based on my own opinion, no insider info) that when the Hobbit comes out this main rulebook will be re-released and rebranded to bring it up to date. Even if they don't change the core rules (which I hope they don't) there'll definitely be some updated info in there to bring it in line with the new sourcebooks. If you buy it at present, there's about 100 pages (from the 240 page book) that are full of out of date characters and scenarios. December is going to be the big Hobbit launch month so hopefully we'll see what they're up to in a couple of weeks.

3) I agree that about 300 points is a good place to start, this allows most races to have 2 healthy warbands and allows you to play some really quick, entertaining games. One of my favourite things about SBG is how well the game scales up and down and 300 point games with the new scenarios can be really good fun.

4) Some of the 6 new scenarios in the sourcebooks are, IMO, better than others but I think Hold Ground, Domination and Reconnoitre in particular offer some very interesting tactical challenges and are not simply 'Destroy the Enemy' type games.

Welcome back to the game, it really is great!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dr Grant wrote:
Just to chuck in my 2 cents:

1) I would definitely hold off buying the main rulebook, the profiles and character rules in it are now out of date and I think (purely based on my own opinion, no insider info) that when the Hobbit comes out this main rulebook will be re-released and rebranded to bring it up to date. Even if they don't change the core rules (which I hope they don't) there'll definitely be some updated info in there to bring it in line with the new sourcebooks. If you buy it at present, there's about 100 pages (from the 240 page book) that are full of out of date characters and scenarios. December is going to be the big Hobbit launch month so hopefully we'll see what they're up to in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Dr. Grant, that is really good to know that a lot of the profiles aren't up to date either. A very useful bit of information. This definitely means I'm waiting on the Hobbit release.

I definitely think I'll start with 300, and I'm glad that there is some tactical diversity in the scenarios!

Thanks for your insight!