All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Release date for hobbit minis?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ukfreddybear wrote:
Hoho! I have tickets for the 4pm showing on the 13th :)

I'm going to be in Ireland on business that week. I'm going to try to catch a show on Thursday night before I fly home on Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

And here we go guys, at long, long last, courtesy of Tholanan on Warseer:

http://s1358.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... n/library/

First impressions are I love the dwarves and the starter set but am a little underwhelmed by the orcs and the trolls, still, given time and more pics that could change!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm not a big fan of the goblins either- very warhammer fantasy imo.

Scenery looks brilliant though and the dwarves look pretty cool so I'll definitely be buying it.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well well, what wonderful surprise do we have here!

First off, I love the White Council - though I'll still need to see it up close that's just jumped high up my purchases list.

Kinda disappointed with the orcs/goblins, was expecting something.... else, shall we say. I do like the Orc Hunters on Wargs though, they look rather good.

The Dwarves, Bilbo and starter set Gandalf all look superb! Very excited to get them, the Dwarves are brilliant both individually and look as if they'd be quite dynamic as a group on the battlefield.

All in all great stuff, the only downer being it seems I'll be sticking with the old goblins mainly and only using a few of these new'uns.

EDIT: One other thing upon having a closer look at those new Wargs, wow! I can't stress how impressed I am with them. They look far more feral and dangerous. If there isn't the option to have them riderless with a fur insert like the old/current Wargs then I'll definitely have to greenstuff some on and have a wild pack. Haha, suddenly the first of December can't come soon enough!

Last edited by KnightyKnight on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:00 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I love it all. Definitely doing the run on opening day. I'm glad the Goblins look different, I think they're more in line with my vision when I first read the books than the little moria goblins. Good stuff.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm not a big fan of the goblins, but they might grow on me. I love the goblin king though! I also think the orc hunters are cool and each dwarf looks great - full of character. The trolls look pretty bleh - I won't be bothering with those unless they come in the boxed set and I have no choice. I'm not bowled over by the white council but there are a couple of good alternative sculpts of Gandalf and the Radagast model actually looks ok painted up (from what I can see). Better start saving some money....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:17 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It almost seems like GW is making these models just so that Warhammer players will buy them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
It almost seems like GW is making these models just so that Warhammer players will buy them.

This of course does not make sense. These would require approval by the film company and those that own the liscense. They matched Alan Lee's and Peter Jackson's design. If you look at Alan Lee's illustration of the Goblins these look exactly like those. Can't blame GW for this one; if you don't like them go after Alan Lee.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

White council: The faces are good, but the arms and hands? Seem all out of proportion. I will have to see them in person.
Orcs/hunters: like the look of them, more like a random group of meanies than an organized army.
trolls: nice, I like them- looks like a pretty bad mold/building line on the wrists though.
goblins/great goblin: me no like but they seem sculpted well for plastic
dwarves/bb/gandalf: dwarves seem a bit tall and I like the gandalf, bb is too small

Last edited by Jobu on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very interesting minis
The goblins seems a mix bettewn hoblin and plaguebearers of warhammer however, but I dont complain, in fact goblin appearances are so diferent depending from region to region.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:34 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Definitely liking the scenery and the Dwarves (And Bilbo and Gandalf), not too keen on the goblins, but in part that might be the painting. It feels very troglodytish to me (kind of like the creatures in the movie "The Descent.").
Bolg - Actually I kind of like this guy.
The White Council is alright, but not for the price.
The Trolls are okay, they look like they fit the characters (at least from the book) pretty well.
Orc Hunters are decent - but nothing to write home about.
The Warg though, oh the wargs! Can we get a box of just these? They are so much better than the current ones. Can't wait to get my mitts of some of them.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:35 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Something else that has caught my eye - reading the text it seems that there are a couple of different configurations for the Dwarven Company:

Bilbo can be equipped with either Sting or a walking cane.
Thorin can be equipped with either Orcrist or the Oakenshield

I can't see any mentions other than those two for the moment, but thought it was an interesting note nonetheless.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

KnightyKnight wrote:
Something else that has caught my eye - reading the text it seems that there are a couple of different configurations for the Dwarven Company:

Bilbo can be equipped with either Sting or a walking cane.
Thorin can be equipped with either Orcrist or the Oakenshield

I can't see any mentions other than those two for the moment, but thought it was an interesting note nonetheless.

And the trolls can have treebranches, or cooking utensils it seems.

Also, according to some of the text the camfire will make the trolls much better in the game. Possibly a galadriel's mirror type thing? (You place it down, and then it has an area effect...)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ahh, thank you Avenger I didn't look back to those picture, being so focused on Bilbo & co. :lol:

You're right about hinting an in-game effect for the campfire. Hmm... Get your thinking caps on lads!

The only other items that remains to be seen are the rulebook and the scenery division. By that I mean, what exactly do we get in the starter set and is the 'upgrade pack' additional pieces of the same kit or something different and unique to itself?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:31 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

IsleStaggerholm wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

This of course does not make sense. These would require approval by the film company and those that own the liscense. They matched Alan Lee's and Peter Jackson's design. If you look at Alan Lee's illustration of the Goblins these look exactly like those. Can't blame GW for this one; if you don't like them go after Alan Lee.

I know that, I'm just saying that they do look like something you would find in WHFB. I'm not going to judge them til I see how they stack up with what's in the movie. Of course, that'll be after I buy them. :rofl:

Post subject: Re: GW 'The Hobbit'!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

.:Gunslinger:. wrote:
I want pictures noooooooooooow!!!! I'm so curious about the look of those orcs and goblins! Definately going to get the set!

If you google 'Hobbit Goblin' and look for images you will find quite a few spoilerific photos from the movie and the action figures. Haven't spied any miniatures yet though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:29 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Interesting. Not sure on the goblins, will get some anyway tho. May look better in the flesh. Liking the WC and the dwarves aswell.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

:D :D we have pictures!! :D

I have to say I'm rather disapointed with the goboes... by the descriptions they sounded really cool but the ones in the pics aren't really to my liking :(

I really like the looks of the dwarfs... they look supremely detailed and there is some great conversion material there.

To me it looks like a totally different style than LoTR :roll: If you were to take a way the bases then i dont think i would have recognised them as GW :roll: :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:23 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I see good things. I am feeling more optimistic about the standard of the minis we will be getting.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:40 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thorin & Co. and the wargs look great, but the goblins and those orc hunters I dont like so much. The orcs remind me of feral Uruk-Hai... I hate those.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 41  Next