All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 2:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Release thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Feint means that you are faking an attack to kind of throw your opponent off guard.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Feint allows you to re-roll 1s on wounds. However, to declare a feint it costs you a d3 penalty to your fight value. Useful if you way outfight or are under the FV of your opponent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just finished reading all the SBG stuff in the new WD, I'll try and be careful about direct rules/points values etc. but obviously spoilers abound about the contents of the WD below:

The UK price for the starter set is £75. Contains:

13 Dwarves
Bilbo
Gandalf
Radagast (limited)
36 goblins (2 of the boxes available separately, implication is they're 1 piece models but all 18 are unique - pretty cool)
Goblin King
Grinnah (very cool sculpt not shown in leaked photos)
Teeny Tiny Goblin
Goblin Scribe (an incredibly cool mini with a weird foetus-type goblin hanging in a wooden swing)

Goblin King's throne (very cool model)
2 big platforms and 4 walkways of Goblin town scenery (looks like 1 set from the leaked photo, implication is that the separate set for £35 gives you the same stuff again and you can build it up, the board they use for the battle report looks incredible)

Note, despite rumours, all the starter set models and scenery are sculpted by the Perrys.

Small version of the rules manual
Getting started booklet
2 new style range rulers (they actually look like old wooden rulers
Dice

This really does represent a very good deal; Goblin town is £35 and 2 boxes of goblins would cost £40. So comparatively you get all the characters, throne and books etc. for free.

The new Hardback book is 288 pages, £50, looks very nice, all the rules pages have been completely redesigned (although the core rules remain the same). It contains all the new profiles for the Hobbit figures and there are 7 narrative scenarios recreating the events of the film. It also heavily implies that LOTR is not forgotten with a War of the Ring section that I think contains more scenarios and lots of new pictures of classic LOTR figures. The sourcebooks are absolutely not invalidated, there's even a page in WD advertising them as being compatible with THAUJ:SBG - Damn, what a hideous new acronym...

The old plastic MOM fellowship is released for £30!!! errr, no thank-you

As an aside I already like almost every figure more in these official photos than I did in the leaked ones, the 360 degree pics are really nice, Bilbo looks like Martin Freeman and I really like the new Gandalf figure. Fimbul the hunter also has an (excellent) pose on a warg and is £25 for both versions.

Rules

The main rules changes are mainly only hinted at rather than explained (Adam Troke is the author of the new book and his 'designers notes' are two pages long :-( He writes more about his intent than about the actual rules) but they are largely as Jobu describes.

Surprising amount of new heroic actions (4), for heroic march think Mordor War drum and heroic channeling makes Gandalf's spells more powerful somehow (incidentally there's an implication that some magic powers may have changed slightly). As overwhelming as this may seem (3 to 7 is a big jump) it should allow for some interesting new tactical options and hopefully Heroic Accuracy will give some worthwhile options in the shoot phase.

Troke says that the changes to monsters are 'to counter traditional tactics against them' I would guess (and it's only a guess) that this means that barge and maybe hurl can be used before combat to kill single models and possibly let the monster move again to prevent the single sacrificial warrior tactic.

One of the most interesting things was reading about how the company of Dwarves would work, how powerful they are etc. Obviously there are no profiles but I think we can safely assume that each dwarf at least has 1 might point so the company is a heroic action behemoth, i think a few of them will have two points and then the 'big 3 fighters' (Dwalin, Thorin and Gloin) could have 3. In addition each dwarf seems to have 1 special rule that seems to enhance the company so that they are greater than the sum of their parts, it's pretty cool. The key seems to be combining them to best advantage, there's an implication that one of the abilities uses up Will whilst one of the dwarves can restore Will in some way so you would pair them up etc.

Think that's about it, overall I'm very impressed, the figures look incredible in the new scenery and the changes in the rules seem to be interesting enough to change up tactics whilst retaining the core mechanics of the game I love so much. I'll be picking up the starter set, rulebook, trolls and finecast goblin captain with a big smile on my face.

Hope this helps guys!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks for writing a really good post Dr Grant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The new range is up on the web site, Yay!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... e=athletic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:40 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Just for those people hopping on the thread. All the Hobbit products are now finally online over here http://www.greendragongames.co.uk/games ... obbit.html

Code "oneringexclusive" will get one-ringers free shipping over £10, I ship with Hermes Courier which is 3-4 days delivery (Depending on where you live) from next weds/thurs depending on when the goods arrive! So happy ordering, and if you send me a PM with your order number on orders over £80 i'll throw in NOVEMBER'S white dwarf for free (the one with all the chaos in) if you want :).

Any questions, email info@greendragongames.co.uk or PM away!

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:20 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The White Council still has the same stats. Check GW for them. AND BOLG!!!!!! HE CAN TIE WITH GLORFINDEL IN A FIGHT!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Update: 1 Limited Ed left at time of typing, grab it while its hot =P

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Lookit that, the Canadian prices jumped a uniform 10 bucks over the estimates from earlier today.

The Orcs are separate, and there's a Whole Whack O' Goblins in the core set. Almost too many Goblins. The high prices for the plastic things means I'd think twice about mutilating them, but using them for bits is a key usage for that many of the buggers.

Kinda wanted the smaller rulebook for now until I can figure out if the new Hobbit rulebook is worth it. Wanted the Dwarves and Gandalf. The scenery might be vaguely useful elsewhere. I had, for example, imagined using these new miniatures, along with older ones to create a War of the Dwarves and Orcs collection (preferably in plastic for easy transport), maybe converting some of the new Dwarf heroes to create younger Dwarven heroes.

All these big plans. All whacking up against the solid wall of reality that is GW's prices, the way these things are released and so on.

Harumph, I say, harumph!

Gavin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well after having a look today at the new mini's I was rather disappointed. I don't think I'll be collecting any of the new miniatures - and the pricing is just a joke. I was expecting the quality to be much better! I'll pop into town to have a look at the miniatures in person at the GW shop, but some of them just look awful. I feel very let down.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Most of my doubts concerning detail has been erased when looking at the sprues. That is a much better indicator of the quality. I really want the Escape from Goblin Town set but I'm going to wait until all the Hobbit Sets are released after all the films so I get the final update of the rules (if they follow what they did with the three LOTR films)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am defiantly going to be grabbing the box set. Even if I don't get to play much with it, it will make a nice center piece.

The only models that I would say look a little disappointing would be the Trolls. Though I think the paint job has a lot to do with the blandness of the model. I have noticed it before recently, where GW isn't going there own models justice
GW uninspiring painting
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1710146a

Some poor slob.... who brings the model to life!
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/b ... 900002-gws
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I knew i would be disappointed over the prices...Tbh I'd rather get more Gripping Beast plastic Anglo Saxons and just call them Rohirrim, or Rhovanion Northmen or something.

For now, the only thing I will definately get (though not in the near fure - certainly not Xmas) is the rulebook. But at this price, £50 for a rulebook its fast approaching the point at which I'd actually considering pirating it...By the time the 3rd film is released, I'm betting the rulebook will have gone up to £70.

And its a little annoying that theres only the Company and the White Council for the good side...I was hoping for some new Dunedain Rangers as teased by the "leaked release list" / hoax.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, just some comments. Aelfwine, I hear you on Canadian prices! I was thinking about $30-35 for the plastic infantry, and less for the cavalry. $40 for infantry and $50 for the cavalry is insane! $100 for the Trolls and $90 for the White Council?! Ouch.

The Escape from Goblin Town is actually reasonable by comparison, but it's still $150. Does anyone know what will change between the special edition and the regular version, besides that awkward looking Radagast? And when the regular version would be out and the price of it? Just a guess based on the recent 40K one...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh and one last musing: If you buy "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - The Ultimate Bundle" you save a whopping $0. Yep, nada. Zip. Thaaaaaaanks GW, but I think I'll pick it up in bits and pieces and, you know, continue to afford eating and gassing up the car... :roll: These guys. Gotta admire the balls though.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well after loggin in before gotta say i orderd my new miniatures. not all of m some were very dissapointing...the white council most of all...
now we wait till it gets deliverd.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I ordered the boxed set and the trolls. ill see how.they are but im looking forward to playing through the film. ill see if and how i get other sets as well.and yes, pricing of gw is always a little bit annoying....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Anyone know the cheapest place to get the limited edition... Green dragon has sold out!?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

wow!
the goblin set is... dare i say it... cheap!
about the same as the old times now (les than a pound a model)

does anyone know if the others will be so cheap?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Do we know if the new rulebook has later release rules in it, or whether we'll be spending £50+ a year?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 41  Next