All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Release thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Erurainon the Trombonist wrote:
Is the inclusion of Radagast the only difference between the two editions of Escape from Goblin Town?

Yes that is the only difference. He will not be available separately (in this pose at least)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Am I reading this right? £20 for just TWELVE Orcs? GW, you've sunk to a new low...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1830018a

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:
Am I reading this right? £20 for just TWELVE Orcs? GW, you've sunk to a new low...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1830018a

and yet the new goboes are less than £1 a model :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

1egolas wrote:
haven't been on here for a looooong time but the hobbit release makes me want to get involved again! I think the only problem is we havent seen the films yet! by the time you see the film and fall in love with the characters you'll fall in love with the film. BTW who is painting these minis for gw, the council ones are shocking! look at elronds eyes he looks like hes had too much pipe weed!

Galadriel too. "DERP!"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've though it about the Lotr stuff do a while now, it's a different style to all the other lines. 40k and fb have amazing minis that draw you in. The Lotr minis always look boring and don't make me want to paint them. It's not the sculpts it's the crappy paint jobs.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
I dunno, I like the designs but what annoys me is how incompatible they are with existing Moria Goblins, they look TOO different. At least mordor orcs, morannon orcs etc kind of works together. Nevertheless, I'll be giving my gobbos a slightly darker color scheme. I'm more of a gamer at heart though, so I look forward to some of the special terrain pieces such as the campfire and seeing what kind of bonus it might give the trolls in that scenario. Thorin's company are also a great starting point for taking kili and fili and as warband leaders.

Also, did you see the quotes in White Dwarf anyone? One of the Perry Brothers said that radagast and the goblin town box set was his proudest and in his opinion, best work yet - or something similar (that wasn't the exact quote). But they seem very chuffed over at the big gee dub.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I started getting into the hobby again for one reason - the anticipation of Thorin's Company. I had waited on it for so long, I figured I'd get one just for old time's sake if it ever came out, maybe make a diorama. Never thought I'd see the day It came out.

I'm more than pleased with the entire range. Minor criticisms - Plastic Gandalf's face, Kili's paint job, Fili's raised arm. White Council Saruman just doesn't sit right either. Not overly mad on the individual goblins, they seem a bit Jim Henson or something, but that's down to the design. We'll see how they fit in the film, the models are fine.

All the rest are a massive coup for plastic, I can't believe how far they've come along since I gave up about 7 years ago. Also that Bolg is a knockout. It looks like a 6" model let alone 28mm or thereabouts.

It also has to be said that the prices are bordering on criminal though. There should be an organised campaign over it, it's a total joke.

Post subject: Re: Stolen picutres from the Hobbit miniatures! (Spoiler ala
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:28 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
I heavily doubt any of Del Toro's influences remained after he left.

Very late response, but considering the division over the film designs (and their miniature counterparts), I thought it would still be appropriate to address this. I thought I had read somewhere that PJ had decided to keep all of del Toro's designs for the project, for one reason or another. The actual story is completely different--PJ looked at del Toro's designs and realized he wouldn't be able to direct a del Toro movie, so he redesigned all of them, keeping some of del Toro's "DNA" intact. So, you were right--I don't know how I got it so messed up!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Someone commented in another thread that, barring Thorin and a couple others the Dwarves were NOT professional warriors, and were actually quite reluctant to fight until they were defending their treasures. On reflection I quite agree with this, so I want to see non-martial versions, so I hope that GW does a stand alone Company box (I don't want to spend £70 on a bunch of Evil models that I don't like or want) with all the characters in non-combat poses but to represent them at the start of their journey. (Travelling, with packs, food, the famous coloured cloaks, ponies etc).

That said, it will of course be finecast and be a ridiculous price so I won't buy it anyway.

Also, I have to add that I'm bitterly disappointed with GW's practice in recent years of making lots of expensive scenery kit instead of teaching us how to make our own scratch built terrain like they used to. I miss the great tutorials and articles in White Dwarf from years ago which showed you how to make your own terrain and unique models. Nowdays they just want you to buy it at a premium.

The "GW Hobby" today is very lacking in Hobby-ness.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hmm... I've got a gift card to spend, but do I REALLY want those Orcs?? They don't quite fit in with any of the others...

I've already got my order for the big box in with my FLGS. They'll have it Saturday, supposedly.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree with the terrain, I think its all great, but I wish they told you how to make your own like they used to. The only pre-made terrain I have are trees (because they are so difficult to make on your own) and I kind of feel that pre-made terrain is almost.... cheating, like buying prepainted armies. That's just how I personally feel, I don't mean that it applies to everyone. I'm sure if you're in the hobby just for gaming, then pre-painted armies are great.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
...and I kind of feel that pre-made terrain is almost.... cheating, like buying prepainted armies.

Yes, I agree. I have the plastic osgiliath ruins, but when I look at my self-made osgiliath ruins, I feel much more proud of them, since I completely made them myself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Drumstick wrote:
Well after having a look today at the new mini's I was rather disappointed. I don't think I'll be collecting any of the new miniatures.

I'm with you there. The price of £75 quickly ruled it out for me (especially as I don't like the limited Radagast model). I like the models from the White Council set, Galadriel particularly, but finecast is a no for me, certainly for the moment. It might be nice to have the Dwarves but they are all on the same sprue, a sprue that will probably appear on ebay when all the fuss dies down. I would much prefer metal versions of those characters, but that ship has well and truly sailed sadly.

The Orcs and Goblins look a bit too different from the LOTR versions to me, to the point where I probably wouldn't want to use these models in LOTR SBG.

Nevermind, there is plenty more LOTR lying around that needs painting, and definitely more to buy :)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I ordered the new box set direct from GW. It seems that the independent online discounters (Wayland etc) can only offer 10-15% off this range (I wonder if this will be a permanent thing??) so once postage is taken into account, it is almost as cheap to order direct from GW and you get it much earlier (probably part of their plan....)

I think the box set models look good apart from the goblins which I reserve judgement on. The dwarves are fantastically well produced (sculpting and casting in plastic) - in fact my worry is they'll look so detailed next to the old LOTR dwarf range that they won't fit. I don't think one can argue with the objective quality of the models produced - the subjective design is another issue though...

Having read the new White Dwarf the goblins are starting to grow on me. I don't think the film designers are taking them too seriously (did anyone else notice what the bucket under the scribe's seat and under the king's throne are for...?)

I have to say though that the overall quality of painting in White Dwarf and on the GW online store is poor and really does the models a disservice.

I would love to have the trolls and would also like the hunter orcs and wargs but the cost is just too steep at the moment for their perceived value (this is coming from someone who has spent many £000s on the LOTR range over the past 10 years....)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Envinyatar wrote:
I ordered the new box set direct from GW. It seems that the independent online discounters (Wayland etc) can only offer 10-15% off this range (I wonder if this will be a permanent thing??) so once postage is taken into account, it is almost as cheap to order direct from GW and unter orcs and wargs but the cost is just too steep at the moment for their perceived value (this is coming from someone who has spent many £000s on the LOTR range over the past 10 years....)

You missed out on my 10-20% discount and free shipping that loads of others on here benefited from! =O Write down "oneringexclusive" code for free shipping on future purchases (exclusive to members of this lovely forum), nevertheless - enjoy your box set! =D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is it just me or did anyone else look at Narzug and think 'cool uruk captain'?
With a bit of converting he could be pretty cool.. shame about the price :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nope, I thought that too! Very good idea...

I love Narzug's sword/bow - great concept for a weapon and it looks convincing in the sculpt as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

@ greendragon - I was ready to order the limited box set from you yesterday but it had sold out overnight!

If I order the trolls / orcs I'll come to you first...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah I do apologize for that, they literally sold out within 20 minutes, I was shocked! Next year (if there is a box set for the next film) I'm going to push GW for a greater allocation, it was so small this year ... laughable really!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Guys, lets stay on topic please and keep the business to the PM system or the supplier forums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 41  Next