All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Release thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm most exicted about what profiles we'll find in the rulebook of models yet to come...
Too bad there will be no pics of the models to go with the stats though :(, that bummed me out with each rulebook of the startersets :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is the only thing about the 'limited edition' Radagast? Will the Escape from Goblin Town Set be available later for good without the radagast mini?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Correct above poster, its available from now until probably the next movie without radagast - who I would take a punt at being released in a different pose later on anyway.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i really dont like the limited addition radagast looks horrible
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm really excited about the release of the Hobbit, are there going to be new pieces for other armies as well? I'm busy painting and collecting Elves right now, wondered if there is going to be any new elves too?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As I understand it, no elves are set to be released in December other than the "White Council" versions of Elrond and Galadriel, but we may well see some other Rivindell elves sometime after that. Obviously it depends heavily on what's in the movies.

For Mirkwood, I think we have to hold our breath until next year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So what are we expecting to be released this year then? Any ideas?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

NotLegolasJustTipsy wrote:
So what are we expecting to be released this year then? Any ideas?

The next release will be somewhere in the early part of next year, I think. Hopefully some plastic Eagles, a finecast version of Thorin and Company, a finecast Bilbo either with the 13 Dwarves or on his own. Some Rivendell Elves, perhaps Finecast Radagast foot and mounted on "chariot." Wolves and Wargs, Gollum. Maybe a bit more stuff.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, I suppose I would guess we'll see some Rivindell elves, riderless wargs, gollum, and giant eagles. I don't know (nor do I want to) exactly where the first movie will end, so I don't know how far towards/into Mirkwood they'll get, if at all.

Other possibilities would be finecast versions of Thorin & Co., and probably Radagast too (maybe in his sled).

If there's any kind of flashback to the dwarf and goblin wars then perhaps some dwarf and goblin warriors as well as heroes for both sides. The fact that there is an equipment variant for Thorin that is him wielding a sword and oak shield suggests to me that we might see something along these lines.

I'm not sure what we can expect to see Dol Guldur-wise, but maybe some stuff from that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ooh, I'd forgotten about the War of the Dwarves and Orcs! Young Dain, Nain and Azog would all go on my "must have" list!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think you could reasonably expect a stone giant, some elven cavalry, some new eagles, some flashback stuff from Dale, some flashback dwarves and perhaps some new poses of the heroes (if they go down a similar route to LOTR).

However, my big worry is that as great as (IMO) this big release is, the coverage will all but disappear again over the next few months. GW have changed their release policy to these big, single hit, waves. That works for WHF and 40K as they constantly have new armies coming out but for the Hobbit we've already got the vast majority of the figures we need for the first film so the game's presence in WD is likely to drop very quickly.

In addition, the old LOTR section of WD from back in the day was full of articles about new scenarios, making your own terrain, interviews with the cast and crew of the film and trial rules. None of these kinds of articles are being pushed by WD these days so my big question is this:

Exactly what Hobbit content are they going to put in WD for the next year?

Remember the Jan or Feb WD from this year? Full of LOTR stuff, battle reports, new figures, new books and then essentially nothing at all until this month. Unfortunately I think the same thing is going to happen with the Hobbit, I think we'll get another issue sometime in this year with a strong Hobbit focus and a wave of new figures but other than that I fear it's going to be very quite on the SBG front.

I guess we'll get some idea when we get our hands on the new rulebook on Saturday and see what other profiles are listed that have not been released.

Just to clarify I truly hope I'm wrong about all this and that we get great coverage for the next year, I've just got my pessimistic hat on today! :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The stone giant in the trailer looks massive, to the point that I'd be a bit surprised if they made a figure of it. It doesn't seem like it would be terribly useful, as it's just outside the scope of a skirmish game like LotR. Of course, if they think they can sell it, then they may well make it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well the leaked list sort of implied released from mid year onwards.

Even with the "mega release" schedule, I'd say there's a good chance of seeing maybe two more waves of Hobbit releases for 2013 before the next film. I am guessing, but we'll probably see the balance of stuff from the film in the next release wave. Even if they really work it, there's not a whole lot of "new" figures featured in the upcoming film. Eagles, Giants, Rivendell Elves. The wave after that, if there is such a thing, will probably be "thematic" - maybe releases soldifying some aspect of the background, or extrapolating out some events. Scenarios and figures placing the story in the wider context of middle earth.

A natural fit might be the War of Dwarves and Orcs, as mentioned above, and maybe some re-releases in Finecast of some older things that might fit such a "thematic." release

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wow, haven't been on here for a while...

I spoke to a GW employee last weekend, and he said the company was 'making up for lost time' with the release of The Hobbit. It's been in the works for a while, and he even hinted at the possibility that contractual obligations didn't allow GW to release a whole lot of LotR stuff for a while, as to not distract too much from The Hobbit; gamers would keep running back and forth, and I can see why New Line wouldn't want that just now.

The flipside, of course, is that non-Hobbit stuff may be absent from releases for some time still to come.

Also keep in mind, that anything that COULD be released as a miniature, if it's visually included in the films, it won't be released until New Line says it can (i.e. releases footage themselves). Which is PRECISELY why the current release can be before the film premiere, but not before the final trailers and BTS blog video.

So while Stone Giants or Eagles are possible, Beorn or spiders won't appear till December 2013.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
@ Quendil, glad it arrived okay :) Agre with your points about White Council, and the Trolls are fantastic - I just bought a set, couldn't resist.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Looking at the blog video, the White Council does look better. I really like Galadriel, Gandalf looks good, Saruman looks better, but I still think Elrond’s robes look odd.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Farmer Maggot wrote:
Looking at the blog video, the White Council does look better. I really like Galadriel, Gandalf looks good, Saruman looks better, but I still think Elrond’s robes look odd.

Still though, for that price tag there are different versions of all those characters that I could pick up off eBay (or hell, even from GW directly) for cheaper that I like better...

Gandalf in Rivendell/ Gandalf at Khazad-dum: $14.75 each
Saruman the White (original WC version): $19.75
Galadriel and Celeborn/ Galadriel, Protectress: $26.50/ $19.75, respectively
Elrond, Master of Rivendell: $14.75

Total is $69, as opposed to the $90 Hobbit WC set. I prefer the old Gandalf and Saruman, have no preference on any of the Galadriels and don't like either Elrond.

Last edited by Lord Hurin on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was thinking of buying the trolls after Chrimbo, and probably the hunter Orcs and Fell Wargs. I really like the look of them. More of a rabble than the organised and kitted out troops of Sauron and Saruman. I will be avoiding Finecast wherever possible. I can't stand the stuff.

As for Radagast, I think the miniature is an excellent likeness of PJs take on the character. It's not how I imagined him, but I've always liked Sylvester McCoy, so perhaps there's some Doctor Who nostalgia creeping in there too.

I haven't painted my original Radagast figure yet, and I started thinking about modifying the figure to look a little more dishevelled in keeping with the new film's look.

*Edit* NOT looking forward to the box set arriving since finding how incomplete the rules are and the paint guide is $25.99 (Aus) on the iBookstore!

Last edited by Athelas on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oooh I'm excited now. My order of Escape from Goblin Town was shipped two hours ago. I am expecting it to arrive tomorrow now as it only took a day for my spray paint to arrive after being dispatched on the 26th.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm picking it up at my local GW, I don't think they'll let me take it tomorrow if its there already :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 41  Next