All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit New Rules
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GrashnarTheSecond over on TLA has the rulebook, and is tabling any questions you might have. :D 8)

http://www.thelastalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5829&p=66334#p66334
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

No point values in the small rulebook and no profiles execpt for the models in the set?...
Now I have to get that ridicously expensive rulebook, thanks GW. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My feelings exactly! But I think we should have seen that comming, with all the price rises, why not make it obligatory to buy a100$rule book to go along with a150$ starter set that you can only use to play 7(?)scenarios with and nothing else without the big rule book. Argh! I'm upset:(

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What does the little rule book not have in it, that the big hardback one has?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Apperently no profiles other than what's in the box and no points for the profiles included.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have shared this with GW facebook pages and all my hobbyist friends. Let's try to get GWs attention at the least. Spread this around:

HEY GAMES WORKSHOP BUDDIES!!! Please share this post with your gaming groups and GW friends. This is bad and for once I am not going to sit on my hands and take this. I posted this on the GW Market at Town Center Facebook page for the manager to pass up the chain and I want to make sure it doesn't just end there:

"This post is not aimed at the Sugar Land store. I just want the manager to share my thoughts with someone in the chain of command above him until this gets to whoever is responsible for this horrible, horrible state of The Hobbit game.

Some of us have seen the new rulebook and starter set for the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. What GW has done is the most sickening thing that they have EVER done in my opinion. The starter set rulebook is completely useless due to the fact that there are no rules or point costs for the miniatures within it. This wouldn't be a problem if there were a smaller book (i.e. a Codex) that we could get that would have this information. But no, we have to buy a full priced ($85!!!) book to even be able to play with any of the releases outside of the starter set. Oh wait, INCLUDING the models in the starter set as there are NO POINTS GIVEN for them! Did I mention, the $85 book is the SAME BOOK that is in the starter set, but with the model stats?!?

As someone who loves the LotR game very deeply I am just appalled at this. How on earth am I supposed to get my friends excited about this game and try to get them to play it when there is a $210 price tag to even begin?! How is this making the game accessible to new hobbyists? GW had it right with the format of the starter sets for FotR, TTT, RotK, and even Mines of Moria. All of which shared model stats and points (everything else was in affordable supplements).

I am sickened and incredibly saddened by this development, and while I will try and scrape up the money (because I love this game more than I hate GWs way of presenting it) and buy the $85 book on top of the $125 starter set it truly hurts me that now it will be harder than ever before to share my hobby with others. And that it by far the worst part. Fix this, please. Just this once listen to your customers, because this time we ARE right.

Again, this in no way reflects my opinion of the retail staff of GW. I have the utmost respect for those hobby champions."
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm going to get the boxed set, take my copy of the minirulebook to my nearest FLGS, find the copy of the Hobbit Rulebook that I can browse, and copy down the points of each model in the minirulebook. Then, since everyone I play with just uses my models anyway, and since I don't *need* any of the new models from the Hobbit film (especially at this price value), I'll just stick to using my existing LotR collection plus the contents of the box set.

When the cumulative rulebook for all three films is out, I'll get that one to get all the profiles, getting each boxed set along the way to get the basic collections from each film :p

Because as much as I love this game, GW does not deserve to succeed at pricing these products so high!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dammit! If they are gong to make changes like that, they should mention it in the product description. The mini 'one ring' book had all the model stats and rules in it, it is a logical assumption that the next mini rule-book in the series would follow the same format!

So now we have to buy the new Rulebook in order to play the new rule set with our LotR miniatures. If I'd known that I would have ordered the book at the same time and saved on postage.

If I didn't love LotR so much, it would be an easy decision to walk away from GW completely and start buying Mantic, or PP products. GW are rapidly draining the dregs of my consumer confidence in them.

Last edited by Athelas on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It's really depressing. I've been playing LotR since day one. I've spent $10,000 easy on it since then. I've played in tournaments, entered tons of painting contests, judged and played in Grand Tournaments and I have always loved Tolkien...but this is really getting to me. I'm pretty hardcore into this game, but I'm second guessing myself and I wish I wasn't.

I was so excited about this release, but now I'm dreading it. This isn't the attitude you want to leave your customers with GW.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

And my God is it getting hard not to start cussing and screaming about GWs lack of any kind of business knowledge. Too late for that. They are running our hobby into the ground and there is nothing we can do about it.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think I'm going to skip the Escape from Goblin Town box set and just by the rule book. I don't like the new goblins anyway. And I can't justify buying both at these prices!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

DavFlamerock wrote:
I'm going to get the boxed set, take my copy of the minirulebook to my nearest FLGS, find the copy of the Hobbit Rulebook that I can browse, and copy down the points of each model in the minirulebook. Then, since everyone I play with just uses my models anyway, and since I don't *need* any of the new models from the Hobbit film (especially at this price value), I'll just stick to using my existing LotR collection plus the contents of the box set.

When the cumulative rulebook for all three films is out, I'll get that one to get all the profiles, getting each boxed set along the way to get the basic collections from each film :p

Because as much as I love this game, GW does not deserve to succeed at pricing these products so high!

Same. I'll also write down/memorize some of the other stats incase I ever want the minis.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:36 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Might have to engage rant mode on Sunday when I am in. This is absolute Devlan Mud. That's part of the reason I got the starter set was to have the small book and be able to use it.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I already posted on my local GW's facebook, this really bums me out.
Everyone agrees the prices for the mini's are steep and now we have to separately buy the rules for them too... hold on... not the rules but for most of us (with Goblin Town) this means spending 65 euro's just to get to the couple of pages with profiles and point cost.

I'm already scared for the releases with the next films and what will we have to buy then to be able to play.

Grrrrr :x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:28 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My god am I glad I didn't preorder anything. So far my intention of maybe spending money on the starter set.

Somewhere, one day, one of the higher ups at GW went: "Oh guys you know what we should do? Since primarly young people and kids will try to get into this game, we will make it so you have to spend a @§£#ç%' of money to even get started. Because they practically bathe in money anyway and would obviously spend it on miniatures and not on new Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed games which cost nearly 4 times less. Cuz kids love painting miniatures so much more than computergaming. Yep I got this one figured. Let's do this! Oh and we will do that again the next 2 years." And the others went: "WHOAH marvelous plan! Extraodrinary! Clap clap!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:30 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

What GW have managed to pull off here is the equivalent of charging you admission to a cinema but only allowing you to see the trailer, not the movie. You have to pay more again for that 'privelege'.
Look at what other companies are doing - offering downloadable rules, army lists - everything to PROMOTE the hobby, whereas GW appear from their action to be entirely PROFIT orientated (short-term profit at that). When other companies have a big rulebook, it tends to have everything in it - rules, points values, scenarios, hobby sections, fluff - the lot! Flames of war give you the miniaturised version of their 3rd edition in the new Open Fire! boxset. Mantic have oodles of free stuff - they Beta test their rules by giving them out for people to test and give feedback!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:36 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dorthonion wrote:
What GW have managed to pull off here is the equivalent of charging you admission to a cinema but only allowing you to see the trailer, not the movie. You have to pay more again for that 'privelege'.
Look at what other companies are doing - offering downloadable rules, army lists - everything to PROMOTE the hobby, whereas GW appear from their action to be entirely PROFIT orientated (short-term profit at that). When other companies have a big rulebook, it tends to have everything in it - rules, points values, scenarios, hobby sections, fluff - the lot! Flames of war give you the miniaturised version of their 3rd edition in the new Open Fire! boxset. Mantic have oodles of free stuff - they Beta test their rules by giving them out for people to test and give feedback!

Yes, add to that the knowledge that the true rulebook probably won't be released till about 3 years from now and we can extend the metaphor to paying a few times for the trailer and paying 3 to 4 times to get to see the actual movie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The tight-fisted gits.

The 40K and WHBF rulebooks don't have points values, and the profiles they have don't include weapon options. Now that SBG has the sourcebooks with profiles and army lists (like 40K and WHFB army books) I'm not totally surprised that they're going in this direction. What I find really stupid is they have profiles in the big book, but not the small one.

Whichever version of the new rules you've got, if you want a different army (like Harad, for example) you'd have to buy a sourcebook anyway. I would expect there to be an 'Unexpected Journey' journeybook coming out at some point.

In the meantime I'll be playing SBG with my Moria and Rohan forces that I have the profiles and points for, and reading the points costs for Thorin's company and the Goblins next time I'm in GW.

I'm getting the boxed set for christmas, so I'm going to have to wait until christmas day to be fully disappointed.

Thanks very much Grinch Workshop.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The OR rulebook is from 2005, I got no problem with a new hardcover.
I think this rulebook is the one for years to come and the profiles of the next movie models will be released in a sourcebook format.

The screwup is not releasing the profiles from An Unexpected Journey as a sourcebook and the fact that we don't know for sure if were gonna end up buying an expensive book each film.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bartelomeus wrote:
The OR rulebook is from 2005, I got no problem with a new hardcover.
I think this rulebook is the one for years to come and the profiles of the next movie models will be released in a sourcebook format.

The only screwup is not releasing the profiles from An Unexpected Journey as a sourcebook...

Well, it is more than that. I personally spent $185.00 on the source books that were released earlier in the year so I could play with the latest army building changes and have all the point values for the models I already own. Well, I purchased the starter set so I cold incorporate some of the starter models that I wanted to use into the armies that I already have as well as get a handle on the new rules. If there are truly no points values for any of the models in the starter set anywhere in the starter set then I will just send it back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next