All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit New Rules
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Maybe it's just a quality control problem (and it wouldn't be GW's first in recent times.... finecast, anyone), perhaps pages are missing from this first run of small rulebooks and nobody noticed.

It's going to suck if you're the kid at christmas who's got Escape from Goblin Town and The Trolls, only to find out that he hasn't got the rules for The Trolls.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Damian wrote:
Maybe it's just a quality control problem (and it wouldn't be GW's first in recent times.... finecast, anyone), perhaps pages are missing from this first run of small rulebooks and nobody noticed.

It's going to suck if you're the kid at christmas who's got Escape from Goblin Town and The Trolls, only to find out that he hasn't got the rules for The Trolls.

... the trolls or the dwarfs apparently :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Damian wrote:

That's the scenario I'm gonna pitch tomorrow! :P

My local GW replied on my complaint trough facebook, nothing special just confirming that i'm correct and that the rules of the releases of the following films "probably" will be in a sourcebook.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was reading the post over on TLA regarding the rule changes and was doing ok until I hit the note about the change to Transfix and Compel. That sucks for those of us that don't like GW's cheezy named Nazgul as it really cripples the traditional Ringwraiths. I can see the conversation:

Marketing Luzr1: Dang...there are still players that like Tolkien's Nazgul more than ours...I don't get that...what can we do to show them just how much better ours are?

Marketing Luzr2: Well, Peter Jackson's Ringwraiths didn't have all these Kool Powerz. If we just make the generic spells less effective then everyone will see just how much better our Kool Powerz are. And who's this Tolkien dude people keep mentioning?

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well...that changes that plan.

I figured there'd be enough rules in there to, I dunno, play a War of the Dwarves and Orcs campaign (ie, Hobbit heroes, basic dwarf rules, points, orc heroes, orc stats, orc points) as well as scenarios from the film. I kind of like the "board game" concept where I could have a collection of figures that I could pull out and play a few games with, all stored in one place.

So, instead, I shall utter a tired sigh and, well, see what's happening in a few weeks. Might just end up buying those Elves we've heard about and the rulebook in the new year.

My bank account is making happy purring noises. Bah! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I was reading the post over on TLA regarding the rule changes and was doing ok until I hit the note about the change to Transfix and Compel. That sucks for those of us that don't like GW's cheezy named Nazgul as it really cripples the traditional Ringwraiths. I can see the conversation:

Marketing Luzr1: Dang...there are still players that like Tolkien's Nazgul more than ours...I don't get that...what can we do to show them just how much better ours are?

Marketing Luzr2: Well, Peter Jackson's Ringwraiths didn't have all these Kool Powerz. If we just make the generic spells less effective then everyone will see just how much better our Kool Powerz are. And who's this Tolkien dude people keep mentioning?

It hinders all models that rely on Transfix and Compel type spells, not just the unnamed Nazgul. The only ones who aren't hurt are the 3 named Nazgul who don't cast spells anyway, like Khamul, the KoU and the Betrayer. Come to think of it, it also hurts the Dwimmerlaik and the Tainted more than anybody because they have such small amounts of might to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was thinking it pretty much nerfs Shaman too...

I thought the idea of the Heroic Accuracy (name?) would be to give a model a chance to do something similar to Legolas's special auto-hit shot, or at least give them a 2+ shoot value for the turn, but spending a point of Might to reroll an 'in the way' that still has a 50% chance of going bad is definitely not worth it.

The weapon options sound interesting, but now I'm going to have to see how they play out. It almost seems overpowered but considering the stat creep we've seen maybe this will help lesser forces level the playing field (start converting your WoMT with hammers and axes!). I look forward to reading more of these and try them out.

Upgraded Dwarf armies are not something I think is really needed. Yes, they have some weaknesses, but ALL forces should have some weaknesses and some strengths. They are already a pretty solid basic army.

Starting to like the Monster changes a lot. Trolls, Ents and even Eagles can be more playable now.

They really do seem to have had a major Fail though with the lack of profiles / points in the starter rules and such an insulting price tag on the core rule book. Maybe GW exists in a time bubble and doesn't realize that a vast number of people in the world have a lot harder time shelling out for 'fun' now than they did a few years ago. A $50 rule book would hurt but is about normal, but $85 is really dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well, sorry Games Workshop, but you have just lost a lot of money. I wanted to buy the boxed set (even if the goblins don't look that great compared to their movie counterparts) and the trolls and I'm sure many more things to come. But forcing me to buy a VERY EXPENSIVE rulebook that will be out of date in one year to get the profiles and point costs I need to play, NO thank you.
I have hundreds of miniatures of the lord of the rings and I have started to buy GW in 1987 with the first 30 plastic Space marines box and Space Hulk.
I have spent thousands and thousands of euros in 25 years in GW products. Warhammer, 40 K, Necromunda, Mordheim. People and players like me have made the GW empire.
We have made it with our wallet, and we will destroy it with our wallet.

It was fair to get a nice rulebook with the profiles and point costs needed in each starter set the last time. Now, what is this ? This release is a joke. GW has changed so much, in such a bad way that i no longer recognize it.
They need to get back to reality. A lot of other companies offer their profiles and rules for FREE to download. I am appauled at what a few d**ks heads at GW management are doing to the conpany, once wonderful, created by Steve jackson and Ian Livingston.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

wargrider wrote:
forcing me to buy a VERY EXPENSIVE rulebook that will be out of date in one year to get the profiles and point costs I need to play, NO thank you.

Thats not the case, that rulebook is like the new ORB (of which the old lasted 7 years). The profiles of models released with the other two movies will PROBABLY be released in sourcebook format. Thats what a GW staffmember told me today.

We might all just want to wait with buying the new rulebook just in case they do release a sourcebook for An Unexpected Journey in a month or so...

Last edited by Bartelomeus on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've never bother using transfix with a shaman, it's not worth the will to try and cast it when the chance that it works is so horrible. I'd rather save it for fury.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
I've never bother using transfix with a shaman, it's not worth the will to try and cast it when the chance that it works is so horrible. I'd rather save it for fury.

Agreed. There was a mention to my initial post of the damage this does to pure (unnamed) Nazgul that it effects other models that rely on Transfix as well. Since I don't play a wide variety of Evil spell casters the Shaman was what initially came to mind.

What about models that are not Heroes so they don't have Might but they have powers like this. For example, the Specters?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The news about there not being profiles in the small rulebook is indeed appalling. :x
Apparently, they did include the stats for the models in the starters set in the seperate 48-page booklet. Why the heck did they NOT put the points values with them too? It's probably not like they needed the space for other stuff, it's not like it otherwise would have been 49 pages.. They just left them out for the sake of people having to buy the big rulebook, which in turn will make the small rulebook obsolete. So why even include the small rulebook in de starters set then? To make people think they have all they need to play? Only to find out that they don't.. Very welcoming to new players indeed.
There is literally no way to make sense of all this, unless they are just trying to grab more money.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Fëanor, the mighty elf wrote:
There is literally no way to make sense of all this, unless they are just trying to grab more money.

Bingo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As someone said already, I imagine the stats/points for new models to appear in a source book. This is standard procedure for Warhammer & Warhammer 40,000 and has been this way for yeeeeears.

The same rants happened when Dark Vengeance was released: "there are no points for Cultists or Helbrutes or anything!!"
Less than a month later the Chaos Codex appeared and all was right with the world.

GW want us to buy their models and play their games- they won't hinder that by not having things available.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bartelomeus wrote:
wargrider wrote:
forcing me to buy a VERY EXPENSIVE rulebook that will be out of date in one year to get the profiles and point costs I need to play, NO thank you.

Thats not the case, that rulebook is like the new ORB (of which the old lasted 7 years). The profiles of models released with the other two movies will PROBABLY be released in sourcebook format. Thats what a GW staffmember told me today.

We might all just want to wait with buying the new rulebook just in case they do release a sourcebook for An Unexpected Journey in a month or so...

The problem is there are no way most people will buy both the starter AND the new rulebook. Most veterans anyway, it makes no sense and goes against the previous starter sets.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:52 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Did I read correctly? That the paperback rulebook doesn't have any of the profiles at all, and that the other boooklet doesn't have the pts values. Mr R. Ippoff alert. I don't mindthe lack of scenarios, but the models.

I will hang my head in shame as I prepare to tell my parents to add that to my list of stuff to buy from greendragon.

Well, at least ot's a start. At least GW have put some sort of effort into it...

... I think.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would just go to a store and get the points. In fact, that's what I'm going to do tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I second that motion. Probably what I'm going to do this weekend. I just need to make I don't get caught :twisted:

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:13 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

But I am also very interested in the Trolls, The hunter orcs, The Fell wargs and Bolg.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:17 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The also get the rules and points for them too. The stats for the Trolls and Bolg are on GW, you just need the points, the amount of M/W/F and rules.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next