All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:21 am

Post subject: The makings of an army Cirith Ungol
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just like to start out by saying thanks for the help in the beginners section. Cleared up all the questions i had about starting an army.

Anyways back to it, I'v decided to start with a small force of 250 points and expand from there after painting and playing some games. I'v brought some miniatures and i'm going down to GW store tomorrow to buy the new rules manual and start painting.

Anyways here is the list i came up with based on the models i thought would be good for the core of an army.

Warband 1
-Shagrat, Captain of Cirith Ungol

Followers
-4 Mordor Uruk-hai with hand weapon & shield
-2 Mordor Urak-hai with 2H weapon
-1 Giant spider

Warband 2
-Orc Shaman

Followers
-4 orc trackers
-6 orcs with hand weapon & shield
-2 orcs with spear

Alright the tactics behind this are:
1. The orc trackers and spear orcs hide behind the shield orcs as i advance
2. Shaman stays near orcs while trying to stay safe
3. I chose Shagrat because he seems like a strong character and for only 5 points i get 1 more might than a Mordor Uruk-hai captain
4. Shield uruk-hai protect the spider and 2H armed uruk until combat where they can move behind the enemy force and target spearmen with their low def killing on a 4+

Anyway not sure how all this sounds, havent played a game yet so ill have to see how it works out.
The only thing im not sure about is if the giant spider is worth the 20 points. I can see the killing potential tho :)

Going to be adding Gorbag and more orcs / another spider (since i have 2) for my next war band.

I welcome any feedback, thanks.
 Post subject: Re: The makings of an army Cirith Ungol
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:12 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Looks like a nice little starting force although I have a couple of suggestions.

Swap the Shaman for either Gorbag or an Orc Captain. The main benefit of Shamans is Fury and it will only work on your Orcs, not the Uruks.

I'd also suggest swapped the Trackers for Orcs with Spears and bows (swapping the Shaman will hopefully get you enough points to do that).
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Spiders are definitely worth the points, just keep them hidden from bow fire. They're soft, but hit hard.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Get some more spears. You have 10 Warriors with shields and a fighty Hero, but only two spears to support. At least you should have enough spears to support all your front line Orcs.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Noob question but what is the real point of having so many spear armed guys? Wouldn't it be better to surround and trap the foe to get even more attacks?

Edit: maybe i should drop the uruk's for more orcs then?
I also have metal Morannon orc models, will these fit with a cirith ungol themed army? Also the miniatures are holding a shield and spear which kinda seems like a waste of points to give them both peices of equipment?

I guess i could use the morannon orcs as normal orcs with shield / spear but is this also a waste of points to have both here?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Spears are always good. Yes, if you can trap someone it's worth it, so just bring your spear guy into base contact, but you won't always have that option. If you can't trap then supporting is better because you only risk losing the front model. More spears gives you more options.