All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:31 am

Post subject: Representing the Men of Dale?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how best to represent the Men of Dale? I'm currently working on my starter armies (Dol Guldur Orcs/ Easterlings from late WoTR vs. Dwarves), and have decided my Dwarves need an ally, and have decide the men of Dale are a good regional ally.

Now, I don't have the Kingdoms of Men book yet, but from my understanding there is no list for the men of Dale in it. How would I go about representing them most accurately?

I was thinking perhaps Warriors of Rohan (using Gripping Beast or Wargames Factory plastics) and Riders of Rohan as I don't imagine them to be the full plate level of equipment like Gondor is, and perhaps Gondor Rangers (or other Rangers) to represent Woodsmen?

Eventually I would like to expand and have the whole region involved in the late WoTR period (Mirkwood Elves, Moria, and all the other goodies), but I think this is where I'll be starting.

Any suggestions?
 Post subject: Re: Representing the Men of Dale?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

A Grey Company army could fit thematically, just call Arathorn Bard (or Brand or whoever you want) and rename Halbarad. I doubt they would have plate armor either, and the rangers could fit pretty well for now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That sounds like a pretty good idea, I'll have to check out the Grey Company list when I get the Kingdoms of Men book. Thanks!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You can use the grey companies list and gripping beast figures.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm guessing that once the final Hobbit movie is released this faction might be added :) looking forward to Beornings personally :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All of that or the Númenor list if it can ally.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

For Men of Dale/Men of Laketown in my Battle of Five Armies games I tend to use Rohirrim to represent the main force. Some WOMT would suit for the Master's bodyguards. Cavalry from Gondor or Rohan would also fit in, although none are mentioned at Five Armies. I use Duinhir for Brand, owing to his special rules - think Black Arrow. Rangers would be suitable for lighter troops and spears, but am not so sure about F4/3+ as stats for a relative backwater force.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No way. I would use an Anor army and fit a colour scheme worthy of the men of laketown. But seriously wait a year and GW will have the miniatures out by then.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

typhoon2 wrote:
For Men of Dale/Men of Laketown in my Battle of Five Armies games I tend to use Rohirrim to represent the main force. Some WOMT would suit for the Master's bodyguards. Cavalry from Gondor or Rohan would also fit in, although none are mentioned at Five Armies. I use Duinhir for Brand, owing to his special rules - think Black Arrow. Rangers would be suitable for lighter troops and spears, but am not so sure about F4/3+ as stats for a relative backwater force.

I think this may be the way to go. I think I would opt for Rohan Calvary as I imagine there probably wouldn't be lots of full plate sets in the area (and those that did would probably belong to lords and what not). I don't think F4/3+ would be too unreasonable, just because a place is backwater doesn't mean they aren't skilled, probably just under-equipped. That and since I was thinking of representing the Woodsmen of Mirkwood - I think they would be pretty skilled. That and the Gondor Ithilien Ranger upgrade would be good to represent woodsmen.

That said, I think that is some very good advice, and I think will probably be the way I go.