All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:33 am

Post subject: The Hobbit FAQ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:20 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... eMode=true Self explanatory title. HIGH ELF CAVALRY ARE FIXED!

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit FAQ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:02 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The other FAQs are updated too. Some interesting updates with them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:34 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No kidding. Easterlings are now 1/2 bows; Transfix is even more nerfed because you can be supported using the supporter's fight characteristics, and use wargear such as Rumil's parry and Boromir's horn...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

:D high :D ELF :D CAVALRY!!! :D
:yay: :twisted: :-D :)
Full mounted bows with maybe some galadhrim acting as scouts! It brings a tear to my eye...
Im sure my opponents will :shock:

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think it would have been cool if, instead of nerfing Transfix by making the old version the new channeled version, they instead made the channeled version Paralyse. Might be somewhat overpowered (easily mitigated by increasing the will/might cost of channeling it) but it would really suit the Ringwraiths. They're supposed to be some of the most terrifying and powerful embodiments of evil bar the Balrog, Shelob, Gulavhar and Sauron himself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Riders on rohan don't count towards bow limit...about time?

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I do find it a bit silly. Book has been out only a qouple of days and already they have 2 pages of fixes :-)
But i guess thats always the case with the GW books.

Conversion options for Gil-galda though... he can be mounted now.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

dctimon wrote:
I do find it a bit silly. Book has been out only a qouple of days and already they have 2 pages of fixes :-)
But i guess thats always the case with the GW books.

Actually it has been the case that the book comes out, the players identify about 2 pages of questions and wait 6 - 18 months for clarifications. This is a nice change. :rofl: Off to read now...

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Can someone help clarify this for me:

Add the following special rule:
Rohan Warband Rules
Riders of Rohan in warbands chosen from the Rohan
army list do not count towards your forceʼs Bow Limit

From: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2850061a_Kingdoms_of_Men_v1.0_DECEMBER12.pdf

Does this mean that you can have (for example) twelve RoR with Bows (actually using them in the game) without it counting toward your bow limit and still have some warbands of WoR with 1/3 bows?

If they just mean that the RoR don't count to the bow limit unless they are the ones actually depicted using bows then it's very poorly written as it really does read the same as the exclusion for Heroes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It means that riders of rohan do not count towards the bow limit. They all come equiped with bows
So this faq just makes them immune to the 1/3 rule. Warriors of rohan and outriders must still follow the 1/3 rule.
i would have liked if this applied to outriders too but that is asking a lot. rohan did need a little boost and along with the throwing spear range increase and the new move and shoot rules i think this will keep rohan playable. Not super competitive but playable.

[/b][/b]quote="Beowulf03809"]Can someone help clarify this for me:

Add the following special rule:
Rohan Warband Rules
Riders of Rohan in warbands chosen from the Rohan
army list do not count towards your forceʼs Bow Limit

From: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2850061a_Kingdoms_of_Men_v1.0_DECEMBER12.pdf

Does this mean that you can have (for example) twelve RoR with Bows (actually using them in the game) without it counting toward your bow limit and still have some warbands of WoR with 1/3 bows?

If they just mean that the RoR don't count to the bow limit unless they are the ones actually depicted using bows then it's very poorly written as it really does read the same as the exclusion for Heroes.[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Beowulf03809 wrote:

That's how I read it. You could have 100% bows in an all RoR army, or 100% bows if you had 2/3rds RoR and 1/3 WoR w.bows (the RoR count as warriors for the purposes of calculating WoR limits).

It's overkill IMHO. 50% limit would have been fine, or even a "RoR don't suffer a movement penalty" rule.

Maybe they're trying to move some RoR stock...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The -1 shoot value when moving now makes sense. I can see they would be worried about another Grey Company style issue if they allowed RoR (and the new Elf Cav) to be fully bow armed and able to shoot and scoot like before. This may be a risk with the Elves but even without the -1 move penalty a fully mounted RoR force using all bows wouldn't be unbalancing. They were just standard archers with relatively weak bows, only average F/S/D and were nearly unplayable against most current Evil lists.

Even playing 100% bow armed (with the old "only half move can fire" rule) for their points a fully mounted RoR force would be playable with a reasonable chance to win but would be far from Gray Company in threat due to numbers. The -1 here as well as the -1 they now have on Throwing Spears strips a bit of the glory that they were actually becoming a viable force again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The main thing I don't like about the increased bow limits is turning the game into a shoot-fest. Shooting is fun for certain characters (Legolas), but the real tactical part of the game is centered around melee. I'm afraid an all-bow RoR force will be just as boring to play and play against as GC was.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
Transfix is even more nerfed because you can be supported using the supporter's fight characteristics, and use wargear such as Rumil's parry and Boromir's horn...

Also, if you are supported when transfixed, and manage to win the duel, the support can strike blows.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
The main thing I don't like about the increased bow limits is turning the game into a shoot-fest. Shooting is fun for certain characters (Legolas), but the real tactical part of the game is centered around melee. I'm afraid an all-bow RoR force will be just as boring to play and play against as GC was.

But even cav aren't going to hold off for long and their greatest power comes from charging. Spending a couple turns will not do much more than soften up a zone to help with the charge that needs to come. Maybe weakening spear / pike support or such.

A RoR costs twice as much as an Orc or Haradrim on foot and about 50% more than a Morannon or Uruk so you will remain out numbered (usually outnumbered AND out-classed). You can’t use a bow and shield in the same turn so if you choose to shoot your Defense is going to be lessened. Even if you don’t shoot you are still a relatively soft target sitting on top of an even softer horse. You can’t move more than half and still shoot so your critical mobility advantage will fade fast if you try to play a shooting match for too long. Their bows are weak, even more so in the current world where base defenses have gone up steadily.

I think it’s safe to say that with the -1 Move/Shoot penalty a fully mounted and bow armed RoR force (with some decent Heroes) will NOT be over-powerd by far and may still have a chance if played well. If you drop the -1 and just use standard movement restrictions ( ½ move to shoot ) then I think they become competitive but still less so than Black Guard, Isengard Uruk Hai or Morannon Orc forces.

It’s a mostly moot point of course as we have the -1 penalty now and will until at least the next major revision (probably for years to come) unless you want to house rule it away. I am at least encouraged now to paint up a couple dozen RoR and see how they do in fact play out with full bows, harassment tactics and timely charges at weak points (the way they always struck me thru the books).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I may have been playing wrong, but I've never found bows to play a major part in a game- they're mostly too weak and few in number to ever pose a threat to an enemy.
I pretty much never take bowmen unless like the RoR there is no choice.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lorizael wrote:
I may have been playing wrong, but I've never found bows to play a major part in a game- they're mostly too weak and few in number to ever pose a threat to an enemy.
I pretty much never take bowmen unless like the RoR there is no choice.

I think people tend to have too high expectations when it comes to archery. If my archers kill roughly an equal amount of warriors (only one 1 per archer in the game!) and manage to stay alive I consider it a success.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

whafrog wrote:

That's how I read it. You could have 100% bows in an all RoR army, or 100% bows if you had 2/3rds RoR and 1/3 WoR w.bows (the RoR count as warriors for the purposes of calculating WoR limits).

It's overkill IMHO. 50% limit would have been fine, or even a "RoR don't suffer a movement penalty" rule.

Maybe they're trying to move some RoR stock...

I would say that this is wrong, they don't count at all is the way that I read it. So you would need to have 2 WoR without bow for everyone with bow. I may be wrong, but that's how I interpretted it.

Beowulf, you can use Bows and Shields in the same turn, that's the whole point of Expert Rider. Also, you can still only move 1/2 and shoot, the -1 penalty is in addition to that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

"Page 29 – The Spider Queen, Unit Entry.
Change to be an Independent Hero."

Nooooooooooo my Lotr Spider army is now illegal again :(
looks like I'll have another random goblin character leading the spiders along with Ashrâk -_____-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Druzhag should work, lol.