All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Release thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

tcrfelton wrote:
Just for fun, here's some of my progress on the new Hobbit minis:

http://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... Miniatures

looking good. you have done that colour scheme justice. Maybe start a WIP thread if you havent already. Would love to see what you do with the dwarves and the trolls I spied in the background.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

tcrfelton wrote:
Just for fun, here's some of my progress on the new Hobbit minis:

http://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... Miniatures

Wow a decent paint job improves my opinion of those figures. Thanks.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Agreed. That scheme looks much better than the studio minis.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks all, I actually rushed a bit on the gobbos. I'm using them as part of a critique in art school tomorrow, lol.

I might do some articles on the dwarves, trolls, or even how I made my terrain as I finish it all.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Did you get the Goblin Town scenery set as well, or is all that included in the EfGT box set?
Painting looks excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

think the terrain is custom build (thumbs up!). I like the scheme also. I dont think ill go for the official scheme either, thinking about something more greyish (like a cave troll, but then a bit lighter... ill wait and see what ill go for when i get my order in).
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

So I bought the big book on Saturday (bought the LE box too but the wife’s squirreled that away for Chrimbo) and have spent the last week devouring it, here are my thoughts (warning, I have many thoughts, long post incoming):

Firstly I don’t want to get into the whole mini rulebook/lack of profiles thing. I totally get all the arguments and frustrations but for me the starter set was exciting because of the figures, not as a cheap way of getting the rues. I personally don’t mind paying out for the big book separately.

So to the book itself, it’s gorgeous. No buyer’s remorse here, lovely full colour pages chock full of fantastically posed pics. I was particularly impressed by the attention given to LOTR, all the big battle photos are new and there’s a real sense that this is all one big game system, not that LOTR is the poor forgotten older brother. Nice to see some new scenarios for LOTR as well (alongside some reprinted ones), the new Helm’s Deep and Pellenor Fields scenarios look like they’d make great special occasion games.

There’s also quite a few spoilers about the film (and one about the 2nd film) in the book that I found really interesting and exciting but anyone who wants to go into the film blind would do well to stay away from the scenario section until they’ve seen the movie (8 sleeps!)

As for the Hobbit models, they’re amazing, I was pretty happy with what they released this month and had feared (as I’ve written before, perhaps in this thread) that we might get a release drought after this wave but it’s great to be proved wrong. The eagles, Rivendell Knights and Grim Hammers all look staggeringly good. IMO they do what great models should do: they make you want to buy and paint them despite the fact you have no need/use for any of them. I have no elf or dwarf armies but I want them all! :-) The alternate Radagast sculpt is also gorgeous (although probably FC) and the Goblin King throwing the goblin is awesome, so much better than the one in the box. Assuming he’s plastic I’ll pick him up too!

As for the rules, I’m optimistic about almost everything. I like the changes to magic, nerfing spells like Cast Blinding Light which is normally in play for the whole game is a nice touch and the need to expend Might should hopefully at least make Gandalf think carefully before chucking some of those 2+/3+ spells around. I’m on the fence about the weapon rules, I like the idea but do worry that it’ll slow the game down, I would have preferred a straight 1 or 2 bonus/disadvantage rather than D3 to stop all the extra dice rolling. Still, I’m trying the rules out on Saturday so we’ll see how it goes.

Big fan of the changes to monsters, they stop some of the more devious (and entirely unthematic) tactics and might well make monsters viable again, I’ll give my cave troll a run-out at the weekend and see how he gets on. It’s also great to see some age-old questions clarified, they’ve added in sentences like “the loser can back away in any direction” and “a model armed with a spear cannot be wounded or knocked down if he loses the combat” whilst these rulings were well known to us forum-dwellers there’s no doubt they caused confusion with new players and it’s nice to have it clarified in print right from the start.

As an aside, Moria goblins have really benefited from these rules no? the guys with shields and bows have swords as hand weapons and low FV so will always feint, essentially 2 thirds of your warriors can now re-roll 1s to wound all the time! Also, the channelled fury boost is potentially awesome, any thoughts on whether taking Groblog would now increase it to a 4+?!?!? Time to dust off those old Gobbos methinks! :-)

The only thing I really don’t like, no hate, is the -1 to shooting for moving. This, across the board, harms shooting to the point that I imagine most Mordor orc and Moria players will now leave their archers at home (making models largely redundant) and even Rohan players (like myself) might think twice about depending on 5+ to hit for all their shots. Let’s face it, in SBG almost all archers move every turn, just to get better shots, I think this rule is essentially reducing every model’s shoot value by 1. In addition, it’ll be a nightmare to keep track of; in Warhammer it’s easy enough to remember that ‘this block of 20 archers moved’ but imagine you’ve got 15 elf archers dotted all over your battle line mixed in with your other warriors, are you really going to be able to, easily, remember which ones moved? It just seems like needless complication. If they really wanted to add in a Warhammer style shooting variable they could have gone for a long-range modifier, at least that could be worked out from where the model is in the shoot phase and not depend on you remembering every model’s actions. It also has a big effect on shooting based heroes (I’m thinking of Legolas here), for 11 years he’s been darting around, getting into the right position and sniping 3 shots on a 3+, now that will almost always be on a 4+ so his effectiveness in the game has been decreased significantly. It’s a real shame as it’s just about the only thing about the new rules that bugs me but I think it’s a really big game changer both in terms of shooting effectiveness and in-game simplicity.

There’s also a couple of interesting new rules which I haven’t seen mentioned on any of the forums:

Firstly, if a hero calls a heroic action and shouts “with me” then all the models within range either have to move with him or pass on their move for that turn. I like this as it’s both characterful and stops the occasional, IMO, dodgy and not at all heroic tactic of just moving one guy forward to cancel the opponents heroic move and then waiting with everyone else to move for their normal move phase.

There’s also been some changes in the siege section, primarily that you can no no longer blow up walls/towers. The only siege targets that catapults/demolition charges can now target are gates. In the Helm’s Deep scenario if a demolition charge is successfully detonated in the culvert the wall is automatically destroyed, I like this change in context as we played Helm’s Deep recently and I thought the old damage table was really unwieldy and, when the wall wasn’t destroyed, made for a very anticlimactic moment. However, I can see this annoying people who like to play other siege games perhaps?

Anyhoo, that’s more than enough for now, overall I’m thrilled with the release and the upcoming releases, can’t wait to try out the new rules/scenarios and get painting all those lovely new figures!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

After checking another forum I came across this scale comparison pic. I'm a little surprised at the size of Dwalin. Hardly says 'dwarf' to me although nicely sculpted and painted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dwalin actually isn't that big when compared to some of the more recent minis, it's just that that elf is really small. For instance, both the old and the new Gandalf's are a full head taller than him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

That's a good point. The initial plastics from GW were 25mm, not 28mm like they are now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Question for you all.

What profiles /are/ included with the Escape from Goblin Town set?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

aelfwine wrote:
Question for you all.

What profiles /are/ included with the Escape from Goblin Town set?

Profiles for all the models included: Thorin and co, Gandalf, Bilbo, the Goblin King, Grinnah, the Goblin Scribe, Goblin Captain, Goblin Warriors and Radagast the Brown. Full profiles minus the lore/history text and point values.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have just stuck all the Good models from EFGT together and done size comparisons with models from MoM. I was curious to see if there had been a scale creep.

EFGT Gandalf is exactly the same size as MoM Gandalf

Bilbo is the same size as MoM Frodo.

Dwalin is the same size as MoM Boromir. Obviously been on the Ent-Draught.

Thorin is half a head shorter than Dwalin, but still taller than MoM Gimli.

Oin and Kili are fractionally taller than MoM Gimli.

Bofur and Gloin are exactly the same size as Gimli.

The other seven Dwarfs are smaller than Gimli.

So, no scale creep. Most of the Dwarfs are the same size or smaller than Gimli. Dwalin and Thorin are pretty big but that can be accounted for with natural variation in a species. I am average height, but I have a number of friends who are a head taller than me or more.

The EFGT models are stunning, especially Radagast. Thorin's arms stay on quite happily without glue, they grip his shoulders well enough that if you leave both sets of arms off his body and paint them up separately you'll be able to swap them over depending on what you want him armed with. I was going to magnetise them (I have some tiny 2mm x 2mm cylindrical magnets), but I don't think I need to.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Boromir was supposed to be MUCH taller than he was in the movie, there is no way that Dwalin would be 6'3"!

Anyway, I agree that the models look great. I only have Thorin, Balin and Dori painted up and they look pretty good considering my skill level. I also gave Thorin both his Oakenshield and Orcrist. It was a simple matter of clipping off both swords and glueing Orcrist into position. I've already had a few fights between him and the Great Goblin and Orcrist does a number on GG. I imagine it should do the same thing to every other orc hero.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think they purposely made Dwalin big to be the beefy guy.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bought the set, the casting quality is indeed very decent for plastic. That helps a bit to get over the fact that I will not be able to buy some of the heroes due to my strict adherence to my finecast ban.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

After spying some of the finecast Dwarves in various pictures, I'm not at all disappointed that I got the set. Without knowing the price or how they will be released especially. Some have suggested they will be released singly, or as "Brothers" clampacks (ie: Balin and Dwalin; Bifur, Bofur and Bombur; etc) in which case I may buy some of them. I'm a tad iffy on the poses for Balin, Oin and Ori and dislike Fili's pose. Other than that I like them all well enough. Certainly I'd buy the Fili and Kili finecast clampack if it's released in such a manner.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
A friend of mine has a lot of Hobbity stuff on ebay if you don't want to grab the whole box-set. Auctions end Saturday. Hands off the goblin town scenery! lol.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/randomjunk123 ... ksid=p3686

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lord Hurin wrote:
After spying some of the finecast Dwarves in various pictures, I'm not at all disappointed that I got the set.

This is what's tempting me to get the set. I despise the goblins (which is more a commentary on del Toro and PJ), but I'd probably spend close to that getting finecast dwarves, and some poses like Thorin's I like the plastic better.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
I've decided, at last, I am not a Radagast pose fan - I will wait for the finecast pose without his leg leading the way.

- Model Painting Service also available.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 41  Next