All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:28 am

Post subject: Re: Newbie - Getting started advice Arnor/Rohan?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And my first ever LOTR SBG model has arrived :D Meet Halbarad...

I will start a WIP thread and get speaking to Green Dragon about some paints :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hurray!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Are you supposed to get a tingly feeling when you get your first model?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yep :)

Make sure you wash it well with hot soap and water before you prime it...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Top tip from the frog!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Ah, that tingly feeling when you get your first mini :) very exciting!

Good news is that feeling doesn't go away, just opened up our Escape from Goblin Town box set and almost exploded with excitement :).

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Haha look forward to seeing it all painted GD

On another note, I've just managed to get an unopened box of 24 Rangers for a tenner, including postage!

So just need to find arathorn and 6 rangers of the north and my first force is set!

Will pm you GD about paints and kingdoms book :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Nicely done! eBay for the proverbial win. Arathorn slightly harder to come by second hand on ebay but I'm sure with enough searching you could, or ask DMS to find you a deal - I swear he IS eBay personified.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

greendragon wrote:
Nicely done! eBay for the proverbial win. Arathorn slightly harder to come by second hand on ebay but I'm sure with enough searching you could, or ask DMS to find you a deal - I swear he IS eBay personified.

Yup, very pleased! Not seen a single Arathorn apart from a "pro-painted" one at double the price so if anybody sees one or hears of one going, I would very much appreciate the head up. Same with Rangers of the North!

Millions of Aragorns though. Obviously, not wanting to include him in the initial 500pt listing but one for the future? Lot's of cool poses. Do the different poses reflect different Aragorn profiles?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thermo wrote:
Haha look forward to seeing it all painted GD

On another note, I've just managed to get an unopened box of 24 Rangers for a tenner, including postage!

So just need to find arathorn and 6 rangers of the north and my first force is set!

Will pm you GD about paints and kingdoms book :)

Nice!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hate to be a wet blanket...but a Grey Company army just got seriously weakened under the new Hobbit rule changes. Not only have all bows been nerfed with a -1 to accurancy for any movement, --and no more Volleys--but the new Heroic Action "March" gives a one turn drum to anyone with a Might point to spend. The game just got faster, so bows have just a turn or two to fire before melee begins. Some bows are useful...most people will likely still max their 33% percent limit because, with spears, they can support. But an all bow army with only Defense 4? Uruk hai lunch.

Too bad you dislike Warrior of Arnor models: cheapest Good elites in the game (individually)...even though Gondor is cheaper by the dozen (in Warbands) due to irrationally cheap Heroes (Damrod, Beregond, etc.).

700 point armies seem to be the new norm (at least where I play). Here is the link for Lonely Knight's amazing SBG Armybuilder http://lonelyknight.0fees.net/

Enjoy!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rozinante wrote:
Hate to be a wet blanket...but a Grey Company army just got seriously weakened under the new Hobbit rule changes. Not only have all bows been nerfed with a -1 to accurancy for any movement, --and no more Volleys--but the new Heroic Action "March" gives a one turn drum to anyone with a Might point to spend. The game just got faster, so bows have just a turn or two to fire before melee begins. Some bows are useful...most people will likely still max their 33% percent limit because, with spears, they can support. But an all bow army with only Defense 4? Uruk hai lunch.

Too bad you dislike Warrior of Arnor models: cheapest Good elites in the game (individually)...even though Gondor is cheaper by the dozen (in Warbands) due to irrationally cheap Heroes (Damrod, Beregond, etc.).

700 point armies seem to be the new norm (at least where I play). Here is the link for Lonely Knight's amazing SBG Armybuilder http://lonelyknight.0fees.net/

Enjoy!

So it seems! I like the theme and the models which is why I've gone for them, but will develop more effective armies in the future I'm sure. If they bring out some plastic kits of Arnor warriors I might consider them but expensive for models I don't really like the design of. I'm tempted to use some other models but with their rules going forwards but not 100% on the etiquette for this!

It's the same with the Rohan inclination. I know from this forum that the perception is they have been pretty "nerfed" but I like the models and the theme so will enjoy painting and collecting for now!

Thanks for the post and tips buddy, looks like I'm going to have a steep learning curve when I come to start playing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You should buy models you like. I find that its better that way.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aye, should be fun painting them now I've got them in.

With the Warriors of Arnor, the bit that gets me is the silly cloth thing around the helmet. Without those, I might be sold!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I wouldn't be going for that Green scheme either... colours for old Arnor should be Dark Blue verging on black. Could always convert some Gondorians... thoughts?

Probably getting ahead of myself lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thermo wrote:
I wouldn't be going for that Green scheme either... colours for old Arnor should be Dark Blue verging on black. Could always convert some Gondorians... thoughts?

Probably getting ahead of myself lol

What I've been thinking of doing for myself, as I plan on building an Arnor army lead by Arvendui and Malbeth, is to use the Numenorians for the Warriors of Arnor. But then again I don't play tournaments so proxy isn't a concern for me.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hmmm yeah, something to think about. It had gone through my mind... let me know how you get on!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Arnor feels obsolete now. The reasons I chose them a few years ago--cheap elites, cheap archers (hobbits, then), and cheap heroes--are gone with the new rules. The only disadvantages: expensive metal and unremarkable sculpts. Those remain.

Gondor is cheaper, with cheap heros. And with the Rangers you have (?) as Rangers of Gondor, their Fight 4 now counts for the fight they support. No need for the more expensive F4 Warriors of Arnor. For a few points more than a standard Arnor warband, you could upgrade normal Gondor warriors to Guards of the Fountain Court. I've seen a Grey Company contingent (just 12 Rangers) supporting Fountain Court---a mean combination.

Sorry to sound gloomy. Malbeth is unique...though no where near the power of his evil counterpart, Groblog (each Shaman becomes a Malbeth). If I ever play 1000 point games, things get interesting: Aragorn can lead, along with the Monkey Twins, and Haldir's bannner can get some use.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Rozinante wrote:
...and Haldir's bannner can get some use.

You tend to ally in the Lothlorien with your Arnor or did you mean Halbardad?

I mostly want to build an Arnorian Army over the Gondorian for theme mostly.
 Post subject: One Ring Anniversary
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Call me sentimental, but I have resurrected this thread to celebrate over one year since my first "newbie" thread last year on 26th November…

From those first few weeks of forum membership, reading every single post so my first would be reasonably informed, to making first army decisions and army lists, purchasing my first miniature (Halbarad with banner!) and creating my first war band and starting a WIP, to a year on, co-hosting the GBHL channel, unable to move in my cellar for models, first tournament attended, countless friends made and much to look forward to next year, including co-running an event on 12th/13th April. Priceless! If we can help every newbie attending this forum to have the same experience, then surely the future is bright for our hobby.

To the likes of whafrog, southy, zogash and the rest who replied with such positive, encouraging and helpful first responses, which motivated me to be where I am with the hobby now, it just shows that a positive, patient and understanding forum, which supports and doesn't undermine, which is quick to put the arm around the proverbial shoulder, rather than push away, in which no question, opinion or suggestion is a stupid one and where an atmosphere of infectious enthusiasm and positivity can brew, that anybody contemplating getting involved with the Hobbit SBG is automatically a valued member of our precious community and can go on a similar journey to myself!

Thanks to all! With all of the above in mind… Support your Hobbit Hobby!