All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:33 am

Post subject: Can a Witch King on fell beast work in a 500pts army?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:38 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is my first Mordor army and my first time back with GW after 6 years! so I'm a bit rusty. I need some advice about starting out. Here's what I have to offer:

WARBAND 1
Witch King - 260
-on armoured fell beast with crown and Morgul blade

WARBAND 2
Morannon Captain - 50
-with two handed weapon
5 Morannon with shields - 40
5 Orcs with spears - 30
2 Orcs with 2h - 12

WARBAND 3
Orc Captain with bow - 45
12 Trackers - 60

497 points total. I may like Trackers a bit too much... They're just so cheap and have 4+. Also, I want to add Morgul Knights next to add some cavalry.

Post subject: Re: Can a Witch King on fell beast work in a 500pts army?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

u have to many bowmen 1/3 has to have bows you have 24 troops total (not counting capt and hero) sorry but it not following the rules :(
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Goddamit you're right. Forgot about that. Back in a sec...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

from the new rules I'd be inclined to have moranon orcs with the spears as they can still contribute their fight value and it gives that wall of other guys to protect them. Switch out 4 trackers for another few 2hw might be good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

why not a full ghost army? u can paralyses and control their army while still fighting and all ya army has terror so fighting low courage army's will just roll over for you (the evil version of ghosts btw not the king of the dead and what not )
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:38 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Bronf wrote:
why not a full ghost army?...

I'm both noob and currently sick so forgive me but by ghost do you mean wraith? The answer to that is simple, I want to get started and a full wraith army will take too long to save up for. I have the Witch King on fell beast, mounted and on foot as well as 12 orcs. What I'm wondering is if I can start with WK on the fell beast or if I should wait till I have a bigger force.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SMORG wrote:
from the new rules I'd be inclined to have moranon orcs with the spears as they can still contribute their fight value and it gives that wall of other guys to protect them. Switch out 4 trackers for another few 2hw might be good.

I don't know the new rules (haven't got the Hobbit rule book yet) but even if the spears could contribute their fight value why would that make a difference since the front row is Morannon?

Here's a version without trackers:

WARBAND 1
Witch King - 260
-on armoured fell beast with crown and Morgul blade

WARBAND 2
Morannon Captain - 50
-with two handed weapon
4 Morannon with shields - 32
4 Orcs with spears - 24
2 Orcs with 2h - 12

WARBAND 3
Same as WARBAND 2

496 points, 23 models, 7 might... 3 heroes...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

sorry i mean as spectre (trooper). shades (hero) and barrow-wights (hero) maybe a smallish army but they all can prevent combat on your enemies, u can also have a wraith in the army to if its with in 500 point mark
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Bronf wrote:
sorry i mean as spectre (trooper). shades (hero) and barrow-wights (hero) maybe a smallish army but they all can prevent combat on your enemies, u can also have a wraith in the army to if its with in 500 point mark

That's not a bad idea for an army actually! but I should have mentioned at the start I'm really keen to develop an army around my WK on fell beast. I figured the orcs could split up and surround the opposing army while WK swoops in and finishes off heroes etc.

Edit: obviously after the orcs and captains have softened them up or he'll be turned to dust...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:35 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

well if u think about it the will thing on wraiths doesn't really matter since i know your gonna put him max everything so 20 will your not gonna be in 20 combats in a game it only slow down your spell casting since wraiths spells are really powerful. black dark that's just begging to kill some one :) (iv only had a game with 9 turns max with in 3 hours
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Firstly, NEVER use Black Dart. You want the spells that control people, son't waste will on death spells unless you have the Undying.

Secondly, do not use an entirely spirit army, they need expendable bodies for protection and/or big hitters for the spirits to trap them into.

Thidlry, weclome
Fourthly, the Witch-king can lead troops, so DO so. You want some troops for him to lead.

Fifthly, you are normally far too low on numbers, but what with fell beasts able to d o all that monster stuff now, it might not be a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like your second army, though if you want to soak up the last four points, maybe upgrade a couple of 2H orcs for uruks. As gothmog says, it's pretty low on numbers, but maybe that won't matter as much with the new monster rules...nobody really knows yet, you're breaking new ground :) I can easily see adding another full warband 2, plus a warband of knights at 750. By 1000 you have a terrifying horde.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the advice everyone, its given me the encouragement I needed :) I guess I'll just get a couple more orcs and hit the tables in glory and defeat! I'll definitely let you know my results

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Do be careful with the WK when you play. It's very easy and tempting to get him off on his own doing damage but he can be lured into a trap if you're not careful. Under the original SBG rules I faced off against WK/Fb led armies a couple time and it has been a mix bag of success. Twice opponents jumped the WK over my front line of Wood Elves with the intention of wreaking havoc in the more spread out back lines only to have a surprise charge (Heroic charge probably at least once), get surrounded and taken out pretty quick. Other times it was far more effective.

Always look out to your next turn and consider what can be done with Might to mess up your plans before you move.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com