All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:20 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Release thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The Ironfoot wrote:
Dunno if this is the right place to say this, but if you plan on seeing the Hobbit movie.

DONT. It's the biggest piece of **** I have seen in a long time. Makes Twilight bask in glory... Peter Jackson did just about everything wrong. The overal style is a rediculous comic-like one, the book is ignored in every detail and prety much all major events. The amazing authenticity shown in the Lord of the Rings is nothing but a faint memory...

This is a sad day, a sad day indeed

The Ironfoot

Really? I've heard from multiple other sources that there were scenes and dialogue lifted directly from the book and put into the film. This is the Hobbit--it's a children's fairy tale. It's always been lighthearted and silly. I mean, in the book they are welcomed to Rivendell with "O! tra-la-la-lally here down in the valley!" (pg 91, Annotated Hobbit). Obviously such a welcome would have been out of keeping with the Elven/Dwarven hostilities from LotR, and I'm glad they left it out... but everything I've heard has actually pointed in the opposite direction of what you've said, and that barring the one guy who isn't dead in history, the rest is a pretty dead-on adaptation of the book.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Ironfoot is what's known as an internet troll. They can only be defeated and turned into stone by ignoring them. lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm guessing troll too because the movie is pretty well rated. 8.9/10 on imdb and 73% on rotten tomatoes.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've just seen the film yesterday. It's not comic like at all and PJ made alot of references to the book as I hoped! Although I do think they made a joke here and there to often.. but yeah it's a story for children so no offence there..

I really loved the scene with the Rivendell knights.. (as is seen in the trailer). but I won't spoil anything for the people that haven't seen it!

[b][u]Everybody go and see this new masterpiece of a film!!!![/u][/b]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
Ironfoot is what's known as an internet troll. They can only be defeated and turned into stone by ignoring them. lol

nah cant be! hes Dutch and Dutch people are great!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

dctimon wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

nah cant be! hes Dutch and Dutch people are great!

I'll get a bucket, I think I'm gonna throw up. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Maybe i was a little strong yesterday, i just got back from the thing. Though i still agree with myself :P I didn't mean to be a troll or something.

I was very surprised with the reviews from veronica magazine and imdb. i went to the cinema with high hopes, i too enjoyed the trailers (except for the ridiculous dwarf beards ;) ). Watching the movie i was thrown into one dissappointment after the other.
It's hard to give enough arguments for my point without giving a lot of spoilers, for example: seriously... Azog?!

Ofcourse it is meant to be more of a childrens story, this however doesn't justify the major inconsistancies with both the book and the Lord of the Rings movies. i guess i expected more after the masterpiece which was LotR.
I liked the straight from the book dialogues, but is just wasn't enough compared with the things that were very different from the book.

I would call myself a tolkien purist but my girlfriend (2nd year film- and literature studies at university) is not and watched it with me and i quote: "i was dissapointed to the point of laughing".
More of her points were:
- the dialogues were not well spread across the movie (mostly in the start), and often didn't fit well with the story.
- Too many hollywood cliches:
-stressing the theme of "belonging somewhere"
-creating caricature characters such as the Goblin king, Bombur and Radagast (by the way, what did this guy do in the movie at all, with his rabbit sled...)
-slapstick humor... lots of it.
- Sloppy editing. Often you had the feeling of tumbling from one scene into the next, without any feeling how you got there. It was like the scenario-writers passed it on from one person to the next. That means it was more a collection of 'random' scenes, tied together, instead of the neatly crafted story in LotR.

Oops, that's quite a wall of text. I hope i made my point of view clear. It's ofcourse just my oppinion. I'm very curious why some of you did like it.

cheers,
the ironfoot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

This thread isn't about the movie, I don't want to be spoiled so close to seeing it myself. Take this discussion elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Ironfoot wrote:
Dunno if this is the right place to say this, but if you plan on seeing the Hobbit movie.

DONT. It's the biggest piece of **** I have seen in a long time. Makes Twilight bask in glory... Peter Jackson did just about everything wrong. The overal style is a rediculous comic-like one, the book is ignored in every detail and prety much all major events. The amazing authenticity shown in the Lord of the Rings is nothing but a faint memory...

This is a sad day, a sad day indeed

The Ironfoot

I strongly disagree (and find it very irritating that you praise LOTR that much, which had as many flaws as the Hobbit). However im interested in your thoughts on my posting here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&p=299972#p299972
That's the right place for the movie discussion btw.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Of course Azog will look badass, he is played by Crixus from Sparticus.

When you lot were saying that he was played by the same person as Yazneg, I thought you meant him. Even wikipedia knows that Crixus (Bennett) is playing Azog.

@Ironfoot, please don't come on to this thread with yourt anti-Hobbit propaganda. There is a thread you can put your comments in in the Films & Books section.

Still no word on a profile for Yazneg then? Shame :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Of course Azog will look badass, he is played by Crixus from Sparticus.

When you lot were saying that he was played by the same person as Yazneg, I thought you meant him. Even wikipedia knows that Crixus (Bennett) is playing Azog.

@Ironfoot, please don't come on to this thread with yourt anti-Hobbit propaganda. There is a thread you can put your comments in in the Films & Books section.

Still no word on a profile for Yazneg then? Shame :(

Anti-hobbit propaganda seems such a strong word to use, I don't think Ironfoot means bad. :P But I do strongly agree on moving those posts to the films and books section.

On topic, very excited about new releases over the next couple of years. I do hope another starter set will be made available. (= cheaper mini's ;) )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Amarthadan wrote:
On topic, very excited about new releases over the next couple of years. I do hope another starter set will be made available. (= cheaper mini's ;) )

We can hope.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

kidterminal wrote:
Amarthadan wrote:

We can hope.

An employee at my local GW said it's very likely another starter set will be released, but the rules system will go unchanged throughout the entire trilogy. That's a relief. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Amarthadan wrote:
kidterminal wrote:
Amarthadan wrote:

We can hope.

An employee at my local GW said it's very likely another starter set will be released, but the rules system will go unchanged throughout the entire trilogy. That's a relief. :)

I think we'll get a new rulebook once all three movies are done. (like it was for lotr. There were the three rulebooks for the three movies, and then they came out with the ORB...except only this one movie rulebook, and then the new 'orb' sometime in 2014/15)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:00 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm still playing the pessimist card and saying we'll get a full $100 rule book every movie. Gouging us is how GW rolls these days.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
I'm still playing the pessimist card and saying we'll get a full $100 rule book every movie. Gouging us is how GW rolls these days.

2nd. I doubt GW will be able to resist tinkering with the main rules to buff certain types of miniatures in order to drive sales. Its what they do with all their systems. For instance, GW brought out many plastic kits for Flyers (aircraft) in Warhammer 40K, and made Flyers very powerful in 6th Edition (only the new 6th Ed codicies currently have access to dedicated Anti Air weaponry with few exceptions (Imperial Guard Hydra Tanks), and most weapons are at a disadvantage (hit on 6 etc) e.g. Flakk Missiles - Chaos Space Marines have them, Codex Space Marines and co. don't).

Lord of the Rings is also a unique case in that it is a movie tie in, with 3 movies to boot. GW might attempt to cash in as much as possible by rebranding the book with the release of every movie, remaking the cover art, movie specific scenarios, cramming the latest profiles into each edition (which coincidentally can only be found in the new main rulebook for several months until sourcebooks are brought out later, therefore forcing people to get the new book for the new profiles).

They may also use this new trilogy as an opportunity to reinvent the SBG altogether (perhaps making it more attractive to die hard Warhammer players by blending game mechanics; after all they will be the largest demographic of potential SBG players once the Hobbit films are history and interest from the non-hobbyist public wanes again).

Frankly, I'll believe it when I (don't) see it. The way GW has acted in recent years to force sales and drive up profits (or maybe maintain profits, if sales are falling) has led me to become extremely cynical. I think they are/were getting desperate due to plummeting sales. This new trilogy will reverse that for a while, but its just going to happen again in 4 or 5 years time and then the SBG will be shoved aside.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The guy was pretty adamant about it. He said that LOTR is finally being accepted as more than a children's game by the WH gamers and so they need some rules stability to draw in more of these WH players. Secondly, he said the LOTR rules were fine as is, but they used The Hobbit as an excuse to tweak a little rules and give it it's own feel of individuality and that back when LOTR was released, the rules were pretty rough and needed constant finetuning, while right now they already were pretty much balanced, so there is no valid reason to keep changing them.(although money would be a valid reason, I think sourcebooks/journeybooks is the better choice) . He then proceeded to say the bussiness plan for now is to release a new rules edition every 5 or 6 years like they do with 40K; (Don't know how it goes with 40K but I'll take it that's true.)

I gave him a hard time bombarding him with questions, but it never sounded like he was making stuff up to make me a satisfied customer. :) But I guess time will tell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh and King Ondoher, I don't know how much this employee actually knows, but he said that to his surprise sales in LOTR SBG have always kept on growing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Having known a number of GW employees in my time, I'm reasonably certain that they are in command of very little information from head office. They are also heavily coached in being 500% positive about all their products regardless of the truth, and required to present a rosy image to customers at all times.

I don't think a GW employee would be employed for very long if they told a customer that sales of any product line were dropping. The easiest way to see the demographic of popularity of their different games systems is simply to look at the real estate they are given in the shop (ignoring paints and modelling materials, black library etc).
My approximate guess:
40k = 50%
WFB 35%
LoTR 15%

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My main reason (besides GW's greed) for this line of thinking is the branding of the book: "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Strategy Battle Game." I know there's the movie tie-in factor, but The Hobbit on its own would do just fine for that imo.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next