All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Release thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Amarthadan wrote:
Oh and King Ondoher, I don't know how much this employee actually knows, but he said that to his surprise sales in LOTR SBG have always kept on growing.

Was he talking about overall sales or just local to his store? Frankly, I think he was probably talking BS as mertaal explains. Store employees are NOT reliable - they're basically PR representatives.

mertaal wrote:
The easiest way to see the demographic of popularity of their different games systems is simply to look at the real estate they are given in the shop (ignoring paints and modelling materials, black library etc).
My approximate guess:
40k = 50%
WFB 35%
LoTR 15%

Even a mere 15% is too much according to the vocal Warhammer die hards.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

This has gotten REALLY off track. Anyhow, after seeing the movie, I'm really excited about some of the new minis. I actually kind of like the look of the Hunter Orcs and the Goblins, and I can't wait (well, I guess I can, they'll be killing me so much!) for the Elf units. They lookied SO awesome in the movie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Draugluin wrote:
This has gotten REALLY off track. Anyhow, after seeing the movie, I'm really excited about some of the new minis. I actually kind of like the look of the Hunter Orcs and the Goblins, and I can't wait (well, I guess I can, they'll be killing me so much!) for the Elf units. They lookied SO awesome in the movie.

Totally agree about the Elf units. The Mirkwood Elves looked awesome in the prologue and I wonder if Thranduil will be released on foot and mounted on his Stag?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Aggggh! It's so frustrating the Australia was put back to a December 26th release. Still it's a nice post Christmas pressie!

For those of you that have seen the film, I have a question regarding the 'look' of the Goblins. GWs miniatures look excellent, but I couldn't help thinking that they were painted in far too pale a flesh tone.

In the EFGT Rulebook, on page 36, there is a pic of a Goblin in the film, and he looks far browner, than the colour that GW have used.

Would you agree? I'm wondering if perhaps the images that the GW team were allowed to use had not been DCCed (Digitally Colour Corrected) so they wouldn't have had the final film appearance.

Another question; did any of you see it in HFR 3D? Did you like the appearance? Did it make you feel crook? I don't have problems with Real 3D, but I have some concerns about HFR after reading some horror stories on the 'net...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The goblins were much pinker than how GW painted them, though browner would also be a good way to describe it. The minis captured the look of the goblins pretty well, the trolls too, but they were just painted so horribly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

HFR 3D was just fine, don't be put off. Would recommend it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks. We have tickets booked for HFR 3D on the 27th (26th was sold out). I'm really looking forward to it.

Regarding the colour of the Goblins, I'm thinking I will go for a pale flesh colour, but less pale than they have used, and grubby them up somewhat with some dry brushing. I may start on my Dwarves first as I have heaps of photo references for them, and wait till I can see the Goblins on screen before I give them a lick of paint.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:12 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I painted my Great Goblin with a green hue and am now very disappointed. I liked his look in the movie, so now I'm gonna be painting him sorta pink.

I wish I could see it in 3D, but I have different eyesight between each eye (20/10 in one, 20/15 the other) so 3D stuff always looks blurry to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have the strange suspicion that the old Cave Troll painting scheme might be worth a try with the Great Goblin, which, if memory serves was a mix of old Dwarf flesh and codex grey worked up to a paler and paler colour.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I know it is a hell of a long time away yet, but what are the predictions for the starter set for next year?

I reckon it will be from the chapter Spiders and Flies and will feature some Mirkwood trees as scenery. It will also feature 12 of the Dwarves in cobwebs and an un-cobwebbed Thorin and Bilbo. Some spiders, Legolas and Tauriel and maybe some Mirkwood Elves and I reckon if there is a Limited Edition figurine, it will be Thranduil.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

emre43 wrote:
I know it is a hell of a long time away yet, but what are the predictions for the starter set for next year?

I reckon it will be from the chapter Spiders and Flies and will feature some Mirkwood trees as scenery. It will also feature 12 of the Dwarves in cobwebs and an un-cobwebbed Thorin and Bilbo. Some spiders, Legolas and Tauriel and maybe some Mirkwood Elves and I reckon if there is a Limited Edition figurine, it will be Thranduil.

I can't se them doing so many figures wrapped up in webs though....Like really, what's the difference between fili and kili wrapped in web? :roll:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

We don't even know where the second film ends. That being said, I personally hope for Legolas, Tauriel and some Mirkwood Elves vs Great Spiders and Orcs of Dol Guldur.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Amarthadan wrote:
dctimon wrote:
Draugluin wrote:
Ironfoot is what's known as an internet troll. They can only be defeated and turned into stone by ignoring them. lol

nah cant be! hes Dutch and Dutch people are great!

I'll get a bucket, I think I'm gonna throw up. ;)

To much awesomeness. I know! ;-)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi- first ever post. Could anyone give me a list of entries in the army list section of the BRB, or link to an article that can? I've got EFGT, and I was wondering if it was worth getting the BRB, or just sticking with The Free Peoples sourcebook for my Dwarves (If the latter, I'll just sneak the points costs for the Company when I'm next up at my local GW :)). Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ThisIsErebor wrote:
Hi- first ever post. Could anyone give me a list of entries in the army list section of the BRB, or link to an article that can? I've got EFGT, and I was wondering if it was worth getting the BRB, or just sticking with The Free Peoples sourcebook for my Dwarves (If the latter, I'll just sneak the points costs for the Company when I'm next up at my local GW :)). Thanks in advance!

What do you mean entries? As in what models are in there? Basically the new lists are Thorins Company, Dwarves of Erebor, Azog's Hunters, Goblin Town, White Council and Radagasts Alliance. The free peoples book will serve you fine until they release the new dwarf models around feburary time.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SouthernDunedain wrote:
ThisIsErebor wrote:

What do you mean entries? As in what models are in there? Basically the new lists are Thorins Company, Dwarves of Erebor, Azog's Hunters, Goblin Town, White Council and Radagasts Alliance. The free peoples book will serve you fine until they release the new dwarf models around feburary time.

Thanks! What's Dwarves of Erebor? Just Grimhammers, Captains, Thror, Thrain ect? And what's Radagast's Alliance?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ThisIsErebor wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:
ThisIsErebor wrote:

Thanks! What's Dwarves of Erebor? Just Grimhammers, Captains, Thror, Thrain ect? And what's Radagast's Alliance?

Got the dwarves spot on, and Radagast's Alliance is Radagast, Gwaihir and Eagles.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I thought there were regular Dwarf Warriors in the Erebor list, too. I could be wrong, as I just took a quick glance in-store. I remember the Grim Hammers' statline isn't very impressive for their points.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They arnt the greatest, Khazad Guard imo are better. And yes you are correct, you can take Dwarves of Erebor (basically dwarf warriors) with spears now. Eagerly awaiting that box set.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So Dwarves of Erebor eliminate the previous Dwarven disadvantage, that being lack of spear support?

If anyone wants Khazad guard, I have a few!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next