All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:18 pm

Post subject: Please help a noobie out... redux? Need two first lists...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all,

Well upon receiving my first couple purchases, more for hobby purposes than anything else, and meanwhile digging through the Hobbit hardcover rules, the fiance and I decided we would like to give a serious go at playing Lord of the Rings/Hobbit SBG are our primary miniatures game.

This is where you find folks come in. We desperately need help making our first lists, and shopping lists. As we're utterly new to the game, we come to you with humility and the hopes you might all help us out.

We own little... a metal set of the LotR Fellowship *purchased for painting purposes*, and the new Limited Escape from Goblin Town, set.

We're thinking we would like to have a Dwarf Army, an Elf Army, and an Uruk Army, considering those are the aesthetics we enjoy most. If it helps in making suggestions, i'm most inclined to want to do elves, and in prior miniatures games I tend to prefer ranged/shooty armies.

The fiance would prefer straight forward, move and grind, ease of playability.

Any suggestions? We were thinking of spending in the realm of $200 each, to start, but will obviously grow from there.

Any help would be genuinely appreciated. Thanks, and happy holidays to all.

Small Edit: I meant Mordor, and not Uruk specifically. If we want a baddie army this seemed to have the most unique/fun options for building what with everything from beasts to ring-wraiths, etc...
 Post subject: Re: Please help a noobie out... redux? Need two first lists
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It's actually more fun if you improve together. In the begininning you will both have "noob" armies and as you become better you will buy stuff that satisfy your needs. In this game, pretty much anything is viable. The first thing you need to get are the appropriate sourcebooks. That would be Mordor and The Free People (elves dwarves and a few other things).

I would recommend buying a monster for the evil army, as the new rules makes them very good (and also very fun). You could easily buy the new trippple pack and just pretend that they are mordor trolls. Regular Orcs are the most fun, both for gaming and painting, but the morannon orcs are gereally considered a better value for their money. For the Elf stuff, you pretty much have three choices, High Elves, Lothlorien and Wood Elves. Since you already have Legolas, wood elves could be a good starter and you could well take radagst as well, as he lives in Mirkwood (at least in the movie)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
That would be Mordor and The Free People (elves dwarves and a few other things).

This is false. If you want Uruk-Hai you should buy the fallen realms books, while for Elves and Dwarves, the Free Peoples. Galadhrim and Mirkwood Elves are under the same faction: Lothlorien and Mirkwood.

I suggest you start with smaller battles that progressively increase in point size. For example you can start at 250.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Constantine wrote:
Quote:
That would be Mordor and The Free People (elves dwarves and a few other things).

This is false. If you want Uruk-Hai you should buy the fallen realms books, while for Elves and Dwarves, the Free Peoples. Galadhrim and Mirkwood Elves are under the same faction: Lothlorien and Mirkwood.

I suggest you start with smaller battles that progressively increase in point size. For example you can start at 250.

Look at the bottom of the OP.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well because you already own legolas, ide say a lothlorien/thranduils halls army is a given. Having said that, to get started....

-Rúmil
- a box of Galadhrim*
- a box of Wood Elves*

*preferably if you can, get the boxes of 24.
With that you should have a decent core army that you can expand on.

Next would come a Galadhrim or Wood Elf command set and another box of soldiers.
After that its up to you, more elites? more core soldiers? more heroes? wherever you want to go with your army.

Rúmil+legolas+a box of galadhrim+a box of wood elves=376pts with just their basic gear. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Good luck!!! 8)

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance