All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wrestling with the new book.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Fortunately, It take him awhile to get there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Lord Hurin wrote:
Anything contained in Lord of the Rings (including appendices)and The Hobbit is within their license.

To clarify further, the text of The Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings are available to commercial license use, as well as Appendix A and B. Further Appendices go on a case by case. Some things seem to be allowed by tradition. Others will have the Estate sueing the Enterprise company, who will then sue you.

(Which explains the odd little wink to the universe in the movie "why, I can't remember the names of the Blue Wizards" - the Blue Wizards being Unfinished Tales material)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

aelfwine wrote:
(Which explains the odd little wink to the universe in the movie "why, I can't remember the names of the Blue Wizards" - the Blue Wizards being Unfinished Tales material)

That line seems somewhat apt since we don't know the Blue Wizard's names for certain anyway. Tolkien never made a final decision, all we know from his unfinished notes and works are possible names.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wait a minute - Bolg overshadows Aragorn? WHAT?!? OK, I got him being very powerful indeed - the movie character lends itself perfectly, and that's what TH:SBG is based on in the end of the day, and it can be really annoying for Evil not to have any hard hitting characters outside of Mordor - but an Orc king being better then Isildur's heir, trained by elves and experienced in woodcraft and swordfighting for over sixty years? Someone did not pay attention there.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

He meant Bolg's rule giving him similar rules to Aragorn, but olnly after killing people. Bolg actually wasn't even in the movie, so I don't understand why he was in the rules.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's bad enough - though he does cost the same. Ah, well, I'll live.

I think there is a model of him because in the two-film version, he would be in the first film. So GW already designed a model for him etc. And the PJ decided nothing would do or he'd have to have three movies, and the bit with Bolg in it was moved to the second movie.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Does the new hobbit book have all the profiles of pieces that have not yet been released? If they do, then it's less likely a new big book will come out next year! I'm trying to decide weather or not to buy it. Thanx
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Jazlotus wrote:
Does the new hobbit book have all the profiles of pieces that have not yet been released? If they do, then it's less likely a new big book will come out next year! I'm trying to decide weather or not to buy it. Thanx

Its missing Mirkwood Elves, Spiders, Laketown, Beornings, Gundabad Orcs, and Iron Hills Dwarves, and all the respective characters. That's all I can think of. My local GW owner said there's going to be source books, smaller, and paperback.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

How are the new rules going? Is it worth getting the new book to play all the new updated rules? Has it improved much or shall me and my friends just stick with the one ring rules for now?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well I love them personally, the new weapon strikes are fun, monsters don't get bogged down now, you can push people off ledges, Evil finally has some "good" leaders, not to mention the book itself is gorgeous. Only gripe was the cost
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ranger of the north your convincing me to let go of £50!!! Well done
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Since I've just come back to LOTR, can I ask a couple of questions since I think I'm using old rules...

1) Which game system are you talking about? WoTR or SBG?

and 2) Which is the book you're talking about? :) - i.e. which is the most up to date rule set?

Thanks.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Baldrick wrote:
Since I've just come back to LOTR, can I ask a couple of questions since I think I'm using old rules...

1) Which game system are you talking about? WoTR or SBG?

and 2) Which is the book you're talking about? :) - i.e. which is the most up to date rule set?

Thanks.

Welcome back!
SBG, the book in question is the new Hobbit SBG hardback
It has officially replaced the old blue hardback, I say officially because GW employees were told to pull it from their shelves when the Hobbit was released
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks very much for your help :)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I don't understand the people who are holding out and not buying the books for fear of a bigger more complete book coming out. GW has never done that. The rulebook (the hardcover one) has the models to be released until movie 2. The next models will come out with the journey books that come with each movie. Go, buy the bloody book. The rule update is worth it.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

halkias82 wrote:
I don't understand the people who are holding out and not buying the books for fear of a bigger more complete book coming out. GW has never done that. The rulebook (the hardcover one) has the models to be released until movie 2. The next models will come out with the journey books that come with each movie. Go, buy the bloody book. The rule update is worth it.

They released a new rule book every year with the LotR films. Admittedly, it was softcover and $30-40 but still.

My main gripe is that I bought the Escape from Goblin Town set, so I have the rules. Now it's a matter of whether I want to shell out a hundred bucks for the profiles (which based on past precedent SHOULD have been in the mini-rule book.

How do you know there will be a journey book for each film? The fawning rhetoric of some GW lackeys far from convinces me.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

halkias82 wrote:

Just wanted to give it time, until I got these kinds of responses from people. Saying its worth it ect... Does the book have all the profiles in or do we still need all the source books for each army? Just annoys me that I have the one ring book plus 2 source books, but still need to buy another book just to get the stats for the Shadow Lord!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

halkias82 wrote:

GW making older (but still perfectly valid and useful) books obsolete and pulling them from shelves is nothing new, it has done it before and will continue to do so. It remains to be seen whether this will apply to the hardback rulebook. If other want to risk getting screwed by GW, fine. Its your money you're risking. But I will NOT buy a £50 hardback book until I can be sure that it won't be obsolete a year later. At £50 its not a decision that should be made lightly. In fact, that applies to everything GW sells (except for the Black Library books which I feel are mostly good value as they are comparable to other High Street prices for novels).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
Jazlotus wrote:

Its missing Mirkwood Elves, Spiders, Laketown, Beornings, Gundabad Orcs, and Iron Hills Dwarves, and all the respective characters. That's all I can think of. My local GW owner said there's going to be source books, smaller, and paperback.

Click to: Show
The film lists the Wargs as being from Gundabad
, so one would assume that Hunter Orcs are Gundabad Orcs but GW named them Hunter Orcs because they already have Giundabad Blackshields.

Last edited by GothmogtheWerewolf on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I
GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
RangerofTheNorth wrote:
Jazlotus wrote:

The film lists the Wargs as being from Gundabad, so one would assume that Hunter Orcs are Gundabad Orcs but GW named them Hunter Orcs because they already have Giundabad Blackshields.

Well I'd love to argue that with you since I've seen the movie, but since you've been a nancy about spoilers I can't say anything, so you're welcome
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next