All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Thermo's WIP (rohan/grey company)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Whilst I had a short lived phase of warhammers when I was maybe 10 years old, 15 years later, thanks to this forum, I have been introduced to LOTR:SBG and recently purchased my first models. I will count these as the first I've ever painted so tips greatly appreciated!

Enjoy my first ever WIP thread!

Last edited by Thermo on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: First Model's: Halbarad's Grey Company Warband
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So, starting at the very beginning, I cut the plastic Ranger models from the sprues (using some £1.99 cutters from B&Q) and gave them a quick wash in soapy water. I had some sandpaper left over from decorating which I used on some of the mould lines (although it was a little too course) but I think I missed a few!

I glued the miniatures with super glue, again, quite cheap from B&Q. Quick question, what is the benefit of using the plastic polycement glues over superglue?

The hardest miniature to glue was the metal Halbarad; I reverted to using my girlfriend's hairdryer just to get the glue to stick (watch out! The metal heats up quick!!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Next up was priming the models. Again, during my raid on B&Q, I picked up some matt black primer spray... only a penny cheaper than the GW primer but I'm pretty sure it's a much heftier tin!

Newspaper down, I was incredibly cautious as it doesn't seem to take much to over do the priming... one of the first models ended up more shiny than matt as a result. But overall the detail remained, probably due to this caution (maybe too cautious as I seemed to miss bits on Halbarad I only discovered later.)

All primed, ready for base layers...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Roughly using Crucifer's guide and Matt_Monotone's advice I began the base layers.

Rhinox hide - For leather bracers, bows, boots, spears, belts and the odd jerkin.

Ratskin flesh - For faces and hands (any top tips on faces, seems to be difficult to get to "look good"

Dawnstone - for undershirts, the odd other garment for variation between models.

The Fang/Caliban Green - For cloaks and other clothing... if the model had a green cloak, his shirt might be grey for example... Keen to get variety.

White - On the arrow feathers (again, this can look amateurish, any tips?)

Leadbelcher - On the swords, spear heads, tips of bows and odd detail. Halbarad's chainmail, parts of his helmet and flag detail too.

Once these were done (no pictures, I was in a rush to try out the washes!) I experimented between agrax earthshade wash mainly on the green cloaked models whilst using nuln oil on the grey cloaks.

This is where I am up to!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So, next up is some highlighting plus a little more detail... then I'll give them another wash and get them based!

I hope you enjoy my progress and I appreciate tips on how to make these models look as fantastic as possible!

Many thanks :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:06 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

When I need to make skin stand out I just use more layers of highlights. Before I apply the final highlight I use Ogryn Flesh (it's the old wash from GW, I don't know the newest ones name). Sometimes it's better to avoid painting eyes, ( corneas and pupils), and just painting the eyelids. It gives the model a more grim look.

I like your progress, it's very methodical and so far they look nice. The washes are a major reason for that!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree with constantine ^^

Your models sem quite dark overall (though that might be the pictures) so it might be a good idea to create some contrast using a lighter flesh tone either that or a bright basing scheme might help. :)

But your models do look very nice (especialy good for a first try!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Good stuff
The chain mail is good, its tempting to overdo the silver paint which will always spoil the mail, good light touch.
(PS I'm rubbish at painting, got a lot more practice to do)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Constantine wrote:
When I need to make skin stand out I just use more layers of highlights. Before I apply the final highlight I use Ogryn Flesh (it's the old wash from GW, I don't know the newest ones name). Sometimes it's better to avoid painting eyes, ( corneas and pupils), and just painting the eyelids. It gives the model a more grim look.

I like your progress, it's very methodical and so far they look nice. The washes are a major reason for that!

Thanks for the comments and advice Constantine! I'll see how the faces look after the highlights and give your tips a try. I'll post some close ups for your comments! Must admit, didn't fancy bulging white eyes as I feel if done incorrectly, it can make the model a little cartoony. I'll do the lids and see how it looks. Grim seems to fit the rangers well anyway!

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree, the wash is like magic potion. I started to get worried after more than two base layers had gone on but happy again with the wash.

SidTheSloth wrote:
I agree with constantine ^^

Your models sem quite dark overall (though that might be the pictures) so it might be a good idea to create some contrast using a lighter flesh tone either that or a bright basing scheme might help. :)

But your models do look very nice (especialy good for a first try!)

Thanks Sid! Hmmm yup, they do look dark. I was finding that it was taking a couple of layers to get the brown and green to show up on the figures and didn't want to lay it on too thick and lose the detail. Tips? I'm happy with them looking dark, but agree, they need some contrast.

Let's see what the highlight phase brings!

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm giving it a go!

mad_dan wrote:
Good stuff
The chain mail is good, its tempting to overdo the silver paint which will always spoil the mail, good light touch.
(PS I'm rubbish at painting, got a lot more practice to do)

Thanks Mad_Dan, hoping it looks even better with the second drybrushing of the highlighting silver.

Also even anyone has any ideas for the following, it would be appreciated.
1) The detail on the quivers
2) Highlighting tips
3) Feathers on the arrows
4) How long should I leave the wash until I start the highlights
5) Hair! Not even started on it...

Thanks again everybody!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

These look promising so far. As for the question about the glue, I think plastic glue kind of melts the two surfaces together. Personally I just use superglue for plastic and metal.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Must admit, didn't fancy bulging white eyes as I feel if done incorrectly, it can make the model a little cartoony

Exactly, I painted eyes on a Ranger of the North and he looks like Mamra from Thundercats.

1) Drying time for washes depends on the amount of wash you have applied. The rule is to leave the part to dry until you can't detect any more wash on the area. It may take up to 20mins if the wash was applied on an area with deep recesses. But never paint on top of the wash if it has not dried yet. When I need to save time I just paint another part of the miniature whilst the wash dries.
2) Regarding highlights, I tend to you a base color, for example Rhinox Hide and then highlight it progressively with Bleached Bone or Kommando Khaki (I don't know their new names). Generally after you've applied your basecoat, simply add lighter and lighter shades on the raised areas, or in the most illuminated ones.
3) I painted the arrows of my Rangers khaki and their feathers Bleached Bone, then I followed the above method.

I hope what my overly long reply lacked in brevity made up in content.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lovely work. Very good considering your 15 year break!

Warhammers, always makes me laugh! The game is called warhammer, the models are called models!!!!! :)

Anywho, really fantastic work! I love that Halbarad model. As for getting the superglue to dry, you actually want to apply moisture rather than heat! Hot superglue won't dry AFAIK!

But yes, keep it up, very methodical process.

I'd recommend some needle-files rather than sandpaper!!! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Good work so far, Thermo, glad I could help you out! Looking forward to see how the figures turn out, you're definitely on to a good start. I agree with Sid, though, your pics could use better lighting, they're a tad dark.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's fun to see that you have started, it looks like you are off to a solid start o/

About the minis being so dark in the pictures I've found out if you take a pictures with a white background, the minis will end up looking dark, if you instead take pictures with a dark background they will look brighter. And since you primed the minis black they will end up being a bit darker, but since they should be stealthy it's not a bad thing that they are dark imo :)

Hurry up to finish the minis, I wanna see them finished :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@ Thermo
Looking good brother, looks like we building the same army, lol
Ive not painted for a few years so not quite plucked up the courage to start on my grey company yet, am painting a few men of rohan to get the "feel" back....

You only got the one army? or you got a decent sized collection?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Coming along nicely, love that Halbarad model

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great so far mate. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for everyone's feedback on these!

I can't believe it's been over a week and I've not got any further! I'm taking the rest of the day off so will get to it and try get some more pics up soon. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Crucifer wrote:
It's fun to see that you have started, it looks like you are off to a solid start o/

About the minis being so dark in the pictures I've found out if you take a pictures with a white background, the minis will end up looking dark, if you instead take pictures with a dark background they will look brighter. And since you primed the minis black they will end up being a bit darker, but since they should be stealthy it's not a bad thing that they are dark imo :)

Hurry up to finish the minis, I wanna see them finished :)

Haha I'm sorry for the delay! I'll try not to disappoint, you and Mat have been very helpful.

Good tips regarding the pictures. I think I need to get a lamp on them and it should show them up better than just the 'big light' on the ceiling ;)

I think the basing will really bring them out too if it's nice and bright with the greens.

ste271276 wrote:
@ Thermo
Looking good brother, looks like we building the same army, lol
Ive not painted for a few years so not quite plucked up the courage to start on my grey company yet, am painting a few men of rohan to get the "feel" back....

You only got the one army? or you got a decent sized collection?

Thanks Ste! Yup, this is my first force and first warband! I have another 12 rangers that need to be started and still need an Arathorn and 6 x Rangers of the North but then it's good to go!

Also working on an all cavalry 500pt Rohan force... have Erkenbrand and my first 6 riders and have Eomer, 12 riders and 2 x rrg on the way. Just need 2 sons of eorl.

Then for bigger games, I'll ally the two together. Look forward to playing you soon!

Crucium Giger wrote:
Coming along nicely, love that Halbarad model
John Wayne wrote:
Great so far mate. :)

Thanks fellas, really appreciate that! Quite keen to do a reasonable job on my first models!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've started my halbarad pics in gallery. Man it takes some effort to get the old techniques back lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next