All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 4:31 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Release thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The goblin warriors for example, at the bottom where it shows thier profile, it says:
Unit size: 1+

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

SidTheSloth wrote:
The goblin warriors for example, at the bottom where it shows thier profile, it says:

I believe that means there's no limit to how big the unit can be
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
SidTheSloth wrote:

I believe that means there's no limit to how big the unit can be

Since when were there Units in SBG?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

King Ondoher wrote:
Since when were there Units in SBG?

Good question.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Since Warbands right? Look at the designation after named heroes. Its just letting people know what you can have multiples of, for those that aren't savy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I haven't bothered to play the new warbands rule. It's silly.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Actually I like the new war bands rule. It helps balance the troops to leader ratio. The only thing I don't like about it is army of the dead only have one leader available to them (king of thr dead) so you can only field 12 of them unless you house rule a captain of the dead to lead another warband.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Do you ever get the feeling that the consequences of fiddling with rules are never fully explored? The Army of the Dead should be that - an army, not the Undead Dirty Dozen plus One.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Exactly. And I have 40 of the blighters so it kinda scuppered me a bit there. I don't think it unreasonable to summise that the king had captains to help keep his legions in check tho so I include a couple of them to make it work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

12 should be the minimum for a unit, not the max. Warbands has really screwed up my Gondor army as I usually take very few heroes and hordes of spearmen
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

A minimum of 12? Why would you want 12 or more cavakry per hero. Rohan would suck even more.

Warbands and its troop limit is one of the best things that has happened recently, you should have Captains and cheap heroes. Better themed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

When I came back into the hobby and heard about the warband system I was unsure and hesitant at best. The idea of being restricted in such a way didn't appeal to me at all.

However, having built a couple of army lists and had experience playing I've definitely changed my mind. A requirement to take heroes and captains works.

I like the order, organisation and balance it brings.

I like the way you have to really think about how to bring the best out of the units you have - am I taking too many warriors, too few? Can this unit hold its own or is it based around a supportive role?

Captains can become characters in their own right. Rather than just having a super character with 2 dozen warriors, by spending time making the best of a warband formation you can find yourself thinking about the captain leading them. What's the backstory behind this warband? Are these guys a motley group thrown together by chance, or a thick-as-thieves bunch?

Anyway, enough of my warband rant - back to the Hobbit discussion! Regarding the Radagast concept I can kind of see why they picked that one. Personally I prefer the poses like the upcoming February Radagast or the new White Council Saruman, but that's me as a collector and diorama/scene builder.

Who will be buying the starter set, along with us veteran hobbyists?

Newcomers to the game, fans of the movie, and children/young teenagers. For those categories the starter set has to shout 'fun, dynamic, exciting!'. The concept art and model of Radagast running through the forest/caves/Goblin Town both do a good job capturing that.

End of Radagast rant :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
A minimum of 12? Why would you want 12 or more cavakry per hero. Rohan would suck even more.

Warbands and its troop limit is one of the best things that has happened recently, you should have Captains and cheap heroes. Better themed.

I said it screwed up my Gondor army, I was already running 12-18 horse blocks as individual Eoreds for my Rohan army,so no tears there. I just want more flexibility within the rules. Both people have to play a warbands list, played both ways, with different combinations and there was a definitive advantage towards Lome built forces
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally I'm sticking with the original Radagast model...maybe even doing a conversion with him riding a stag like someone else posted here recently and have that stand in for whatever bunnysled rules they come up with. I'm in a bit of denial still about how they portrayed him in the film (about my only significant gripe).

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GW's old Radagast does look pretty sweet. I prefer it to the film design. It's still available from GW too, if anyone's interested.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1060255
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I thought his portrayal was perfect, except for the bird poop, that was my only gripe about him. It would require a great deal of craziness on Radagasts part for Saruman to hate him so much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Start Warband Rules rant.
Dorthonion wrote:
Do you ever get the feeling that the consequences of fiddling with rules are never fully explored? The Army of the Dead should be that - an army, not the Undead Dirty Dozen plus One.

Fiddling is never good. And by that I (and I suspect Dorthonion) means that they didn't take any time at all to think this through. So now the retinue of a king like Theoden or Isildur is the same size as a lowly captain.

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
12 should be the minimum for a unit, not the max. Warbands has really screwed up my Gondor army as I usually take very few heroes and hordes of spearmen
Rreally? Just what do you think a warband of 12 Mordor orcs/Moria goblins can do? Other than make a mess of your front lawn? These armies are pretty screwed considering their one advantage was out numbering people. Sadly this indicates the true motive of this rule- up captain sales.

KnightyKnight wrote:
However, having built a couple of army lists and had experience playing I've definitely changed my mind. A requirement to take heroes and captains works.

I like the way you have to really think about how to bring the best out of the units you have - am I taking too many warriors, too few? Can this unit hold its own or is it based around a supportive role?

Captains can become characters in their own right. Rather than just having a super character with 2 dozen warriors, by spending time making the best of a warband formation you can find yourself thinking about the captain leading them. What's the backstory behind this warband? Are these guys a motley group thrown together by chance, or a thick-as-thieves bunch?

KnightyKnight you've aptly illustrated the attitudes and issues with GOOD players seduced by all those shinny Aragorns, Boromirs and Gandalfs. Yes the poor good captain never caught a break. That was never the case with EVIL players. They knew you had to keep your scum in line and nobody did that like an orc captain.

ukfreddybear wrote:
Actually I like the new war bands rule. It helps balance the troops to leader ratio. The only thing I don't like about it is army of the dead only have one leader available to them (king of the dead) so you can only field 12 of them unless you house rule a captain of the dead to lead another warband.

Yes this is one of the major issues with this "rule/marketing tool". Can you have in fact 24 dead troops? Aragorn leads them in the book and the movie. Can he lead 12 of them? Don't know. No body at GW cared enough to think about it. We need a set of warbands rules that are really rules, not simply a demand for people to buy more captains!

End Warbands rules rant.

I dream of a GW figure of Thranduil mounted on a stag sculpted by the Perry Bros. :twisted:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

kidterminal wrote:
Start Warband Rules rant.
Dorthonion wrote:

Fiddling is never good. And by that I (and I suspect Dorthonion) means that they didn't take any time at all to think this through. So now the retinue of a king like Theoden or Isildur is the same size as a lowly captain.

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
Rreally? Just what do you think a warband of 12 Mordor orcs/Moria goblins can do? Other than make a mess of your front lawn? These armies are pretty screwed considering their one advantage was out numbering people. Sadly this indicates the true motive of this rule- up captain sales.

KnightyKnight wrote:

KnightyKnight you've aptly illustrated the attitudes and issues with GOOD players seduced by all those shinny Aragorns, Boromirs and Gandalfs. Yes the poor good captain never caught a break. That was never the case with EVIL players. They knew you had to keep your scum in line and nobody did that like an orc captain.

ukfreddybear wrote:
Actually I like the new war bands rule. It helps balance the troops to leader ratio. The only thing I don't like about it is army of the dead only have one leader available to them (king of the dead) so you can only field 12 of them unless you house rule a captain of the dead to lead another warband.

Yes this is one of the major issues with this "rule/marketing tool". Can you have in fact 24 dead troops? Aragorn leads them in the book and the movie. Can he lead 12 of them? Don't know. No body at GW cared enough to think about it. We need a set of warbands rules that are really rules, not simply a demand for people to buy more captains!

End Warbands rules rant.

I dream of a GW figure of Thranduil mounted on a stag sculpted by the Perry Bros. :twisted:

Yeah evil is screwed too
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Warbands Rules rant moved to new thread
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=24644&p=303111#p303111
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Kings VERY rarely led their entire army into battle. They would have a complement of elite warriors, but they wouldn't have more than the standard captains. If anything, it makes more sense that the captains would be able to lead more troops than the kings. Besides, while not very thematic, you can have Captains of Dol Amroth leading your Dead army.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next