All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:38 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Gandalf on a new mount!?!?! minor SPOILERS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

OK, so I've just seen the film and it's tedious; even as a build up to the LoTR films and not a re-make of the chilrdren's book. Jackson, I think, has very little talent for re-creating Tolkien's stories. That said I do like some of the deaign (the Wood Elves looked great!) and there is one thing that immediately caught my imagination:

MINOR SPOILORS AHEAD!!!

In one scene gandalf appears riding an Eagle, not just beig carried by one but riding it. Given the new rules for monsters this would make an EPIC and near unstoppable model. Imagine an army led by the whitch king on fell beast facing one with Gandalf on a great eagle? I know I'm excited about that! :D

So my question is, will this ever become reality? Your thoughts...

Edit: Please comment on the thread linked below if you want to talk about the difference between films and games. Thanks!
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24866

Last edited by Meltchn on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gandalf on a new mount!?!?! minor SPOILERS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To be fair, he rode Gwaihir in the trilogy anyhow. Not sure if they'll make a model for it or just use the "carrying" type rules that were about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You're right, he did ride Gwaihir in the trilogy. In two towers he escapes Orthanc on him. I can't remember any other instance from the film atm. Regardless, it was missed up till now and it would be fantastic to see it come to be with the first Hobbit film. I'm saying this as I build my witch king army btw so it's not even for my benefit, just pure ownage!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

He rode Gwaihir to Mount Doom to save Frodo. You really shouldn't be so critical of PJ if you missed that major of a detail.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oh dear, it seems I've rubbed you the wrong way with regards my opinions of the films. Regardless of that the fact remains, we have no Gandalf on great eagle and it would be great if we did. That's my thought anyway. It conforms to the books and the films and would present a highly challenging opponent on the table top. GW have passed on it till now but hopefully the new Hobbit film will change that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It'd be very cool, but I don't think Eagles can be mounted, they can only carry, and I don't think passengers can do anything

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Meltchn wrote:
Oh dear, it seems I've rubbed you the wrong way with regards my opinions of the films. Regardless of that the fact remains, we have no Gandalf on great eagle and it would be great if we did. That's my thought anyway. It conforms to the books and the films and would present a highly challenging opponent on the table top. GW have passed on it till now but hopefully the new Hobbit film will change that.

Gandalf "rode" Gwaihir, or any eagle for that matter, a mere handful of times. Those times were only when he was in dire need of aid. It would NOT conform to either the books or the movies if he rode an eagle into battle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Lets see, the eagles enter battle only when called or at the most desperate of moments. For Gandalf to be riding Gwaihir (because that would be most likely) he would have to be in need of rescuing moments before a battle. Hmm, that's not likely, HOWEVER, it is certainly a possibilty. Therefore in the interests of covering all bases (and making a totally knock out Gandalf) GW should do this! Gandalf is trapped by giants spiders in Mirkwood moments before an assault on the Necromancer, I don't know. You could certainly make a scenario with some friends in which this happens! Maybe the flight from Isengard was more difficult than shown in the film?

Apart from that it definitely goes down as part of my dream army!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't think there's a "non realistic" argument to be made, based off the points value system. This is a game, not a slavish recreation of canon middle earth, otherwise you couldn't ally every good army with Ents, because that NEVER happened, Evil can take the watcher in the water, or dead characters like Gilgalad can be used outside of scenarios. Sticking to the books is for the story based scenarios only

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So, you complain how the movie wasn't like the book, yet dream of a very impossible model? Gwaihir only helped Gandalf because he owed Gandalf for healing him from an arrow. However, he would NEVER allow Gandalf to ride him into battle, eagles, particularily the Wind Lord, were way too proud for that. They saved Gandalf from the wargs because they hated wargs and orcs so much (in the book), same reason they helped at the BoFA. Gwaihir owed Gandalf, thus he saved him twice in the book by carrying him. They showed up at the Black Gate because of their hate for all things evil. I could see you supporting it if you didn't hate any changes to the book, but based on your opinions on the movie, you should be the last person to support such an un-Tolkien like model.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Meltchn wrote:
You're right, he did ride Gwaihir in the trilogy. In two towers he escapes Orthanc on him.

This happened in the fellowship of the ring, in PJ's films :yay: Also, there used to be a conversion on the GW site along time ago which had a Gandalf mounted on Gwaihir model but this was back when they had a specific conversion page. It could easily be done again though

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Of course I'm critical of the films in relation to the book because they are films and not a game. Cheats and hacks in a game is hardly the same thing as rewriting a character for a movie. The two are completely different things, the one's art, there others just a game. There's no need to take games so seriously. I actually think the GW game is more true to the spirit book than the films. Part of that is because I think Jackson should be a graphic or game designer not a filmmaker. All sorts of changes have to be made to make a game fun and rewarding but the same conditions don't apply to film. It's a different ball game.

I still think Gandalf on Gwaihir should be a thing. If nothing else purely because its totally op.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

MoriaMadness wrote:
This happened in the fellowship of the ring, in PJ's films :yay: Also, there used to be a conversion on the GW site along time ago which had a Gandalf mounted on Gwaihir model but this was back when they had a specific conversion page. It could easily be done again though

I didn't know they had that. How would you do it now?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If memory serves they used Orthanc Gandalf as a starting point. I'll see if I can find anything on the web or in my old White Dwarf mags.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

KnightyKnight wrote:
If memory serves they used Orthanc Gandalf as a starting point. I'll see if I can find anything on the web or in my old White Dwarf mags.

Great, thanks :D

Also, RangeroftheNorth, good point, in a points based its completely viable. I wonder what GW thinks regarding points value for this op model? I'm going to ask them when I'm next in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have an Orthanc Gandalf I could part with, in case Knighty finds an article and you want to trade for it :)

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

KnightyKnight wrote:

Yep thats the one, all I remember is that it was a female sculptor and it impressed me, but this was back when they did the online 'convershun korner' (in 40k talk)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Lord Hurin wrote:
I have an Orthanc Gandalf I could part with, in case Knighty finds an article and you want to trade for it :)

Yes! Though I'm not sure I have anything you want. What would you take for it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Meltchn wrote:

I typically do 1:1 metal for metal unless it's something really rare. Do you have a trade thread?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Lord Hurin wrote:
Meltchn wrote:

I typically do 1:1 metal for metal unless it's something really rare. Do you have a trade thread?

No, but I'll create one if I know what's what with the conversion. Hmm, I have the fellowship and Celleborn. Don't know if that interests.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next