All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 4:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Release thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You can always "counts" as and use the stats of another profile (like the Captain of Dol Amroth) and use that as the stats for a AotD Captain. Legal, but inconvenient.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I wondered something.
EfGT is a limited edition box.
This means that when this box is sold out,
there are none available anymore.

Or is the "limited edition" a GW marketing stunt?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

imrail wrote:
I wondered something.

The only "limited edition" part of it is the Radagast mini. When they run out they will release a regular edition without him.

Seems to be taking an awful lot longer to run out than they initially thought, though...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
imrail wrote:
I wondered something.

The only "limited edition" part of it is the Radagast mini. When they run out they will release a regular edition without him.

Seems to be taking an awful lot longer to run out than they initially thought, though...

Yeah, my GW still has ~7 'limited edition' boxes, so it's not like they're uber rare, or even hard to get at this point.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

February needs to hurry up and get here!!! I'm so glad I skipped GW'S Dwarves Grimhammers are perfect. Btw gents I was reading through my Weta book,
Click to: Show
The Grimhammers were originally an Iron Hills design, but they used instead for Thrains vanguard, and according to the book we'll see different designs for Dains folk, Dain is supposed to be mounted on a boar too, so that's potentially three plastic Dwarve sets to collect over the next three years.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Noooo. Everyone's putting dwarves on animals these days. That's just not right. :x Now the boar cart in the Weta book is super cool.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Personally I like that we're getting more of a fantasy driven collection of miniatures this time. Elves on stags, rabbit chariots, dragons, dwarven cavalry. Its not just men and orcs in armour anymore, more variety equals more fun for me
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The only thing I dont like in warbands is the aspect ration of heroe + number of soldier... it should had been diferent according to the armies.. to elves its fine that 1 captain would lead 12 warriors, now goblins? 1 maggot can hold an horde of 20 at his own... I think thats badly done, which in this case I think it will profit the goblins more, having to force himself taking more captains because they can field them for cheap points... the good thing on this is that they avoided the OP taking all sorts of monsters everywhere and avoid weird combinations

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
Personally I like that we're getting more of a fantasy driven collection of miniatures this time. Elves on stags, rabbit chariots, dragons, dwarven cavalry. Its not just men and orcs in armour anymore, more variety equals more fun for me

Meh. If I wanted that I'd play Warhammer. None of this (except the dragon) has anything to do with Tolkien's world.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

whafrog wrote:
RangerofTheNorth wrote:

Meh. If I wanted that I'd play Warhammer. None of this (except the dragon) has anything to do with Tolkien's world.

True, I'll give you that, but I despise warhammer as a rules set, but like some of the designs, so for me its like having my cake and getting to eat it too
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

anyway im keeping to the threat of this conversation.. I´ve been checknig the book and saw azog profile... does we have a schechule time for his release? I really would to get my hands on a model like that :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Galanur wrote:
The only thing I dont like in warbands is the aspect ration of heroe + number of soldier... it should had been diferent according to the armies.. to elves its fine that 1 captain would lead 12 warriors, now goblins? 1 maggot can hold an horde of 20 at his own... I think thats badly done, which in this case I think it will profit the goblins more, having to force himself taking more captains because they can field them for cheap points... the good thing on this is that they avoided the OP taking all sorts of monsters everywhere and avoid weird combinations

You just argued both for and against warband size, lol. The size of 12 works great across the board because it both keeps the rules simple and still lets you have a good number of troops on the field. It doesn't favor one faction over another, horde armies can still be horde armies because they have cheap heros and troops and elite armies can still be elite armies because they have good troops and heros. In fact, it makes elite armies more so and horde armies more so as well. Now you can't have a horde of wood elves led by Legolas, and no more are you forced to have only 75 models in a 750 pt army. I think warbadns works great with out being complicated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Jamros wrote:
GW's old Radagast does look pretty sweet. I prefer it to the film design. It's still available from GW too, if anyone's interested.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1060255

Might get this old Radagast and paint him blue as one of the other two wizards.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Happy New Year all, acquired myself an EFGT box for Christmas and really impressed with the quality of the minis after having a good look at the sprues, really looking forward to getting stuck into painting them (in about June if my current backlog is anything to go buy!).

Main reason for posting is my disappointment/fear about the future of the game content in WD. There've been 2 previews of the new WD on the GW website and neither of them make any mention of The Hobbit (beyond some new miniatures and a free poster). I posted in some thread (maybe this one) about a month ago about my fear of continued coverage and this seems to be playing out. Surely they could keep a strong presence up for at least a month or two.

My main worry was that these days all the articles in WD are about pushing new products and there's a new army for WHF or 40k almost every month which keeps the writers with plenty of pretty new toys and content (and lets try and stay away from the obvious debate that WD has absolutely no 'content' anymore). In the good ol' days of LOTR:SBG the LOTR content was terrain articles, new scenarios, new games (wizard's duel anyone?), interviews etc. None of these articles seem to fit in with WD's content anymore so I can't help but wonder what Hobbit coverage there could possibly be in WD for the next year?

Sadly, I think we might just be getting some new models released every few months without anything worth reading. I can't see how they will genuinely support this as a third primary game system given the current content of WD.

It's a shame of course and hopefully I'll be proven wrong in the next few days/months, I look forward to hearing what's in the new WD although I won't be buying it :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I concur. It will be mostly model photo's in WD.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If thats true I won't bother buying it. I refuse to pay for a glorified catalogue. I expect battle reports, Tactics discussions and guides, painting and model conversion guides, and guides for SCRATCH BUILDING TERRAIN. Not an instruction manual on how to assemble and paint GW's terrain kits.

I also play 40K (Raven Guard Space Marines), and many of the hobby articles (painting, conversions, terrain) are applicable to Lord of the Rings so I'd even be happy if the hobby articles were spread across all three systems. But we get very little at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't think I'd pay $10 for it, but I would like to see the included poster.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I got the white dwarf it shows mainly al the new models with their backgrounds. It has a batle report from wh40k and some cool painting guide on hoe to paint tyranids, eagles and the fell wargs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jamros wrote:
I don't think I'd pay $10 for it, but I would like to see the included poster.

The poster is. Bassicly a picture on 2 sides.
Side: shows al the new hobbit models that have come so far
Side 2: shows the lotr stragety battle game plastic models.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

warrior of the north wrote:
The poster is. Bassicly a picture on 2 sides.
Side: shows al the new hobbit models that have come so far
Side 2: shows the lotr stragety battle game plastic models.

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you...The Hobbit Strategy Battle Game White Dwarf coverage :roll:

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next