All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 12:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re* The Hobbit part 2&3 film and profile predictions! SPOILE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
That's not what desolation means, it refers in the book to the region Smaug destroyed...an area of desolation.

Ah ok, i misinterpreted what it meant.
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit part 2&3 film and profile predictions! SPOILE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mothball wrote:
Can't wait to see Tauriel in the 2nd film. Evangeline Lilly.... :yum:

Lol.

That emoticon made your comment so creepy..

Don't forget the parts of Mirkwood, with the spiders and the capture of the company by the elves, and the escape from them.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I didn't really like it that PJ made Thranduil quite an unlikable character, especially because he is Legolas' father. I hope he will be able to help the dwarfs more in the second and third movie. And i hope Thorin will learn to ease up a bit on the elves... He wasn't that full of hatred towards elves in the book!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I in't think Thranduil was unlikeable, he did as a good king should.

I liked him more than the film version Thrain who made Thrandy bow down to him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
I in't think Thranduil was unlikeable, he did as a good king should.

I liked him more than the film version Thrain who made Thrandy bow down to him.

When you're in a king's hall, you should treat him with the appropriate respect. That was Thror, by the way.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Besides, Gimli absolutely hated elves in FotR movie, which is after they were supposed to make peace, so I don't think PJ is going to make them all that friendly, even after the BoFA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A good king would have aided his neighbors, Thranduil is a dick, always has been in my mind since I was a kid, and the film solidified that view. Elrond or Galadriel would have had the decency to help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
A good king would have aided his neighbors, Thranduil is a dick, always has been in my mind since I was a kid, and the film solidified that view. Elrond or Galadriel would have had the decency to help

If I recall, Thranduil was a Sindar, and they came from Doriath which was ravaged by Dwarves when they tried to steal the Silmaril. So maybe he just thought they deserved it.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

whafrog wrote:
RangerofTheNorth wrote:

If I recall, Thranduil was a Sindar, and they came from Doriath which was ravaged by Dwarves when they tried to steal the Silmaril. So maybe he just thought they deserved it.

I believe you are right! It certainly explains his actions. Doesnt make me like him though. I am excited at the possibility of new elves to collect though.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

and adding the fact that finding the heart of the mountain at erebor and the dwarves proclaimed thor right to rule was divine... I dont think thranduil took those words lightly, and wanted to teach a lesson to the dwarves, despite their realm being great or not, there is no such things as right to rule being something divine, specially from dwarves :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Actually, there is, especially for dwarves. Thror was a descendant of Durin, who was the greatest dwarf lord of the 7 made by Aule. So, by his very nature as a dwarf of Durin's line, he had a divine right to rule dwarves. Thranduil did what any smart king would do, he allied himself with a more powerful nation, just like Rohan did with Gondor. However If he couldn't forgive an entire race for something that happened 6,500 years before, then he's being more stubborn than a dwarf. If he had pledged to aid the kingdom of Erebor, then he went back on his word if he just sat there and didn't offer aid of any kind, which would make him a traitor who can't be trusted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I still like Thrandy more than the Dwarves. The film versions of the Elves do die permantly after they are killed whilst otherwise being immortal. Thrandy didn't want to waste immortal lives in a futile attempt to save the lives of lesser species who had the cheek to be more powerful.

Just a little biased there.

I wonder what pts value Thrandy's stag will be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

the dragon took erebor in like 20 min.... if I was in thranduil place I wouldnt like either to risk the lives of my men, to make the army die in 30min lol :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They never make too many mentions in the movies about what happens to anybodies souls. They had Gandalf have a weird remark about Theodred, and saying that death is the beginning but that was it. However, the implication is that they do in fact have an immortal soul.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If the elves truly are a higher race, as Draugluin said, they should not be holding a grudge against a 'lesser' species. Thror was a descendant of Durin and had a right to rule his dwarves. If Glorfindel can slay a balrog then, let's be honest, why can't one of Thrandy's thousands of soliders kill a dragon, or at the very least help the dwarves :'( (like if u crai every tiem)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

[quote="SuicidalMarsbar"] If Glorfindel can slay a balrog then, let's be honest, why can't one of Thrandy's thousands of soliders kill a dragon, or at the very least help the dwarves :'( (like if u crai every tiem)[/quote]

About glorfindel.. I've read the tolkien letters in which he explains the situation about glorfindel. as you all know Tolkien is most generous in renaming some of the humans with names of their forefathers of even elven lords (think of Denethor & Boromir). He only did so with men but not with dwarves or elves. He makes it very clear that when some one enters the hales of Mandos he will never return to Middle Earth. (perhaps only Earendil but then only in the Dagor Dagorath also known as the battle of battles).

one Glorfindel died when fighting a balrog in the fall of Gondolin. There fore he will never return to Middle Earth.. Tolkien made a mistake in naming a high elf lord of the third age after a fallen hero of Gondolin. This is a common mistake of Tolkien fans but it should be rectified. Sorry guys but the Glorfindel we know it not the same guy as in the Simarillion. Otherwise he would just go the Moria and kick that balrogs ass considering it was only a small one which probably fled during the war of wrath or more likey the Battle of the Powers. Why would Elrond not include him in the Fellowship instead of three Hobbits? Of even Legolas? A Balrog slaying Glorfindel would easily defeat Nazgul and fight his way into Mordor.

Sorry guys but we have to know our legacy. Search for it and you will find that there are infact two Glorfindels

Last edited by Lorindol on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

totally off topic though heheh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Elves are just like us, they put their pants on both legs at a time
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lorindol wrote:
Sorry guys but we have to know our legacy. Search for it and you will find that there are infact two Glorfindels

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/g/glorfindel.html

It would seem things aren't as clear-cut as you think. When LotR was written, Glorfindel was indeed not considered the same person as Glorfindel of Gondolin, yet apparently Tolkien came to change his mind later on. Or not. We just don't know for sure.

As for Glorfindel of Gondolin simply walking into Mordor - no way. His spiritual presence would have alerted the Nazgul (and thereby Sauron) to their arrival and even Glorfindel the Balrog-slayer would have stood no chance whatsoever against the Nine and the entire army of Mordor (not to mention Sauron himself)! He wasn't that powerful: we don't even know if he actually killed the Balrog, just that they both fell to their death. :wink:

Back to topic:
One thing the movie never explains is why Thranduil and his army were up there on that ridge in the first place! It's more than 50 miles from Erebor to Thranduil's halls and the Dragon's arrival was a complete surprise - how the heck did he assemble his army and march that distance in such a short time?!
Click to: Show
After Smaug's destruction of Lake-town it took Thranduil's army several days to hurry (!) there, even though that was only half as far from his home.

To me it smacked a lot like a "Dude, we need a reason for Thorin to hate the Elves. How about..." cop-out.

In addition, the Woodelves were never allied to the Dwarves - we know that the only such friendship was between Eregion and Khazad-dûm - so they didn't owe them anything. There were other Dwarves reasonably nearby in both the Iron Hills and the Grey Mountains, so it wasn't exactly like Thranduil's folk were the only ones around.

Even when looking entirely at the film, I think Thranduil still took the prudent decision. There was no way his lightly-armoured warriors could have done anything about a great Fire-Dragon entrenched in a fortress with only one (non-secret) entrance - they'd have been butchered! :o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
If the elves truly are a higher race, as Draugluin said, they should not be holding a grudge against a 'lesser' species. Thror was a descendant of Durin and had a right to rule his dwarves. If Glorfindel can slay a balrog then, let's be honest, why can't one of Thrandy's thousands of soliders kill a dragon, or at the very least help the dwarves :'( (like if u crai every tiem)

Okay not all elves are a "higher race" only the Noldor can be even considered that because they have spent time in Valinor and many interbred with those that lived there. The Sindar where those who made the trip to the coast and decided not to leave and set up their kingdoms there in Belerand. Oropher and Thranduil where Sindars who, after the fall of Doriath went into the lands of the Silvan Elves (most of the mirkwood elves are these and on another note there is no mention of Thranduil or his father being related to Luthien so they shouldn't have any relation to Melian) and decided to live the simpler life that the Silvan Elves lived; thus they don't posses that inner light that the Noldor have. And no where in the books was a dragon easy to kill by anyone. Glorfindel I'm leaving out of this as its already been covered.

Draugluin wrote:
...Thranduil did what any smart king would do, he allied himself with a more powerful nation, just like Rohan did with Gondor.

When did it ever say that he allied with them? Was it in the movie and I missed that, I know they show him bringing gifts to Thror but I've only seen the movie once. And I'm pretty sure that they make no mention of any oath such as that sworn by the people of Rohan.

Draugluin wrote:
However If he couldn't forgive an entire race for something that happened 6,500 years before, then he's being more stubborn than a dwarf. If he had pledged to aid the kingdom of Erebor, then he went back on his word if he just sat there and didn't offer aid of any kind, which would make him a traitor who can't be trusted.

Thranduil is old enough to have seen his realm attacked and thus had a distrust of them (in the hobbit it does say he hates them from the wars fought in the past just a distrust).

Zogash wrote:
Even when looking entirely at the film, I think Thranduil still took the prudent decision. There was no way his lightly-armoured warriors could have done anything about a great Fire-Dragon entrenched in a fortress with only one (non-secret) entrance - they'd have been butchered! :o

I completely agree with this and have said things pretty close to this myself

But I'm pretty sure the next two movies will have Thranduil abuse the Dwarfs while they are imprisoned just to make you hate him even more. I hope my low opinion of PJ and Co. is proven unfounded.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next