All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:26 am

Post subject: 500 pt Army of Minas Tirith
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Okay, my friends and I are play 2v2 500 point army games, and I was wondering if my army looks fine.

-----
Cirion, Lieutenant of Amon Barad
WoMT w/ Banner
6 WoMT w/ Shield
6 WoMT w/ Spear and Shield
-----
Beregond
9 MT Citadel Guard w/ Longbow
-----
Denethor
4 WoMT w/ Shield
4 WoMT w/ Spear and Shield
----
Okay, for the last Warband, I'm not sure what to use. I was either going to use Rangers, or just throw in some Cavalry (I have 98 pts for the last Warband).

Rangers:
Madril
2 Ranger of Gondor
3 Ranger of Gondor w/ Spear

Cavalry:
Captain of Minas Tirith w/ Horse, Shield, and Lance
2 KoMT w/ Shield
-----
I would use Damrod for the Rangers, but I don't have him. Thanks for the help!
 Post subject: Re: 500 pt Army of Minas Tirith
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd ditch the cavalry option as there aren't enough to really be consistently important, and madril's special rule is always handy for random missions.

just note that the first warband has too many models so just move someone to anther one.

That said, if you're going two on two you wan't to make sure that your partner's army meshes with yours. There are a couple of holes, you don't have a heavy hitter, cav or a monster, that they could fill in.

I know it's an out spoken opinion but I'm more a fan of black root vale archers in today's monster heavy games compared to rangers of gondor.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Isn't that over the 30% bows limit? long term, up your Cav to 6, with shields and lances and a captain, and take more spears then swords, you'll have to buy a few more boxes of WOMT, but I've always done better with all Gondor spear infantry. Also banners are great, and Fountain guard for your front ranks. You're going to have a hard time in the fight phase if you don't get some F4 in the front line. Also Fiefdoms are a good way to specialize and get some variety, I like taking Angbor and Forlong with 5-6 each of their own troops
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
Isn't that over the 30% bows limit? long term, up your Cav to 6, with shields and lances and a captain, and take more spears then swords, you'll have to buy a few more boxes of WOMT, but I've always done better with all Gondor spear infantry. Also banners are great, and Fountain guard for your front ranks. You're going to have a hard time in the fight phase if you don't get some F4 in the front line. Also Fiefdoms are a good way to specialize and get some variety, I like taking Angbor and Forlong with 5-6 each of their own troops

Technically that warband is over the bow limit but much like the first warband being over the limit shuffling it around soles the problem because they're in the same list.

With regard to putting the GotFC in the front rank this is now a big no no. fight can be contributed by spear armed models so it's better to chuck some womt with sword and spear down front to take the bow fire and the guards behind them. I'm even a fan now of using citadel guards with long bow AND spear in the second rank so they can shoot as the enemy approaches and then contribute their fight in the ensuing combat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If i were you i would take the madril option, as he is super, but drop denethor to take the knights, as denethor is kinda risky, and in a 2v2 situation there is a chance your team-mate might drag you down anyway, denethor will just add to the problems
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Do you need a fourth warband? Just pack your three and upgrade the heroes: replace Denethor with Madril, Beregond with a Captain, and add more CG with spears and WOMT. Maybe your friend can bring a cavalry contingent, with a hero that has enough might to use them properly.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the help everybody!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

SMORG wrote:
RangerofTheNorth wrote:

Technically that warband is over the bow limit but much like the first warband being over the limit shuffling it around soles the problem because they're in the same list.

With regard to putting the GotFC in the front rank this is now a big no no. fight can be contributed by spear armed models so it's better to chuck some womt with sword and spear down front to take the bow fire and the guards behind them. I'm even a fan now of using citadel guards with long bow AND spear in the second rank so they can shoot as the enemy approaches and then contribute their fight in the ensuing combat.

Haha! yes! I forgot about the new spear rules, F4 from the rear! I'm still not 100% on all of them, in practice. I'd still take my Fountain guard though, maybe lead by a Knight of the tower. And unless the new feint rule proves great, ill stick to my all spear womt support. I like that even if my army takes a beating everyone can support each other regardless.
Sparta!