All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thorongil? - New Aragorn model!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ha. Oh yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ukfreddybear wrote:
GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
And like Mr Freddybear, I don't know why you are excited about yet another Aragorn. It's not like you need any more guys and girls.

I think the sarcasm in my post has been missed. I actually think we have too many Aragorn models as it is. There are plenty of minis that we don't have that I would have liked to have seen before this.

Can't we have those minis and this Aragorn? For all the versions we did get I've only really liked one and that was the Amon Hen version with elven cloak. Had issues with 90% of the other models. After TTT line his head was different with each release
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think we need a few more Legolas models myself so I'm really hoping he appears in the next two Hobbit films :rofl:

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:32 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I think we need a few more Legolas models myself so I'm really hoping he appears in the next two Hobbit films :rofl:

Well that's inevitable, just glad its a new look for him :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
ukfreddybear wrote:
And like Mr Freddybear, I don't know why you are excited about yet another Aragorn. It's not like you need any more guys and girls.

I think the sarcasm in my post has been missed. I actually think we have too many Aragorn models as it is. There are plenty of minis that we don't have that I would have liked to have seen before this.

Can't we have those minis and this Aragorn? For all the versions we did get I've only really liked one and that was the Amon Hen version with elven cloak. Had issues with 90% of the other models. After TTT line his head was different with each release

There's still too many. You could convert it. I don't care if he's wearing some weird combination of High Elf, Uuk-hai and Easterling armour. We don't need any more.

It also takes time for them to make a new sculpt and mold. That is time wasted on a model they shouldn't bother with.

Fortunately this is probably a fake.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There's still too many. You could convert it. I don't care if he's wearing some weird combination of High Elf, Uuk-hai and Easterling armour. We don't need any more.

It also takes time for them to make a new sculpt and mold. That is time wasted on a model they shouldn't bother with.

It's all down to personal preference. I know you're an Evil player primarily and I bet you'd be happy with a dozen more Nazgul poses.

This Aragorn brings something new to the table. Quite frankly, I wouldn't even use him as Aragorn but as a Rohirrim officer of some sort. Likely Elfhelm (as someone on the first page also said.) To me, it's not the face that's cool; it's the armour.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It also takes time for them to make a new sculpt and mold. That is time wasted on a model they shouldn't bother with. .

Its Rohiric scale armour, nothing new there. I wouldnt waste my time with a conversion if the stats arent there to use it. Which they aren' t. And like others have said you collect evil, you expressed yourself, I respect your opinion, but that's a two way street so please respect the people that would use this, and or want a less powerful/less expensive Aragorn for their army(which actually benefits evil players to since he'd be easier to kill)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

just copied something from my WHW gallery thread.

On a related note, they do have the 9 named wraiths mounted on fellbeasts which were converted by Nick which look amazing and could probably pass as a kit model.

So it is high probability that it may a decent conversion. I would like it to be a future release though. And it is very unlike GW to put a unreleased mini due in the cabinets. Only ones in there from memory are the 4th mordor Uruk, Mahud and the 2H scout. The first two were pulled shortly after release so dont fall into that catergory. 2H scout i have no clue about.

Short story: Either a really good conversion or imminent release.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well then, if people are so adamant that its merely a good conversion, can anyone identify of the components of this miniature? If we can match certain elements of this model to existing models, that would support the idea that its just a conversion.

e.g.
Could the mounted model be based on the unarmoured King Theoden model from the OOP Warg Attack (?) set?
Is that rock and the dead Orc (?) on the base from the Warg Chieftan model?
Could the black and red robes on the foot model be from the armoured King Elessar (Black Gate) model?

Or was the model sculpted from scratch? Either way, it is a fantastic model and I think GW should definately put it into production at some point (whether its next year, if its based on an appearence of Aragorn in the 2nd movie; or after the Hobbit trilogy has been concluded and GW resumes making original non-movie material). Unless of course they don't own the "rights" to that model (if it wasn't made by a GW employee/sculptor or it was made for personal use only).

After the Hobbit trilogy is finished, GW is going to have to start doing original models and sourcebooks again. Rohan hasn't had a decent revamp in a long, long time. What better way to update them than to bring out a new sourcebook covering Rohan's history (Thengel and Thorongil; Eorl and the Fields of Celebrant; the Eotheod and maybe even the Rohirrim's ancient ancestors, the northern tribes of Rhovanion). And Gondor too for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Foot mini better than mounted - neither are fantastic but they're both ok.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Corsair wrote:

They're sure as hell good enough to put on sale. I'd love to have these miniatures, even in Finecast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:04 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I appreciate that some people prefer Good guys to Villains, and if you want him for the Rohan side then I'm perfectly understanding, but of allk things, why would another Aragorn be exciting?

Well, never mind, nothing I say will convince you that another Aragorn is not exciting when there are hundereds of existing Aragorns and you can only ever field one. (Unless you just want a Rohan hero - then okay 8) )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The exciting point for me was the conversion potential for this mini. I'd be glad to have an Elfhelm (who is arguably a more important character than Grimbold) who isn't simply a RRG with Damrod's head. Add to that the possibility of a new, less points-intensive profile for everyone's favourite Heir of Isildur and there is some reason. If it was another pose of Fellowship gear Aragorn then I wouldn't care a bit, but this could be like when the Nazgul got new rules and minis.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I collect and play both evil and good, but I put my gaming wants and army needs before collecting as I'm not a completist. Riddles in The Dark? No use for that, a new stat line and brand new and original sculpt of Aragorn? That I can use. Aragorn is my favorite character, and I own several of him, but only liked two enough to actually paint and use in games. I may be the exception in that I didn't like previous versions enough to even buy them, because GW pumped out so many Devlan Mud versions I sat back on my laurels and waited for good versions to come along.
I'd like plastic Mahud Raiders, plastic on foot Black Numenorians, updated plastic mordor orcs, just as much. On the good side Warriors of the last alliance needs a redo badly among others ESPECIALLY if the new upscaled Hobbit figures remains a trend. Womt are Dwarven height now. In the grand sceme a lot of other more important stuff does need to be made. But so does this, eventually, if only for an excuse for them to make new ROR to go with the release/supplement
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

For what it's worth I had an eager peer but these models were absolutely not in the miniatures gallery at the Throne of Skulls last weekend.

Quite what that means one way or the other I don't know, definitely nice figures though, I'd buy 'em.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Again, can anyone identify any components of the model?

Click to: Show
King Ondoher wrote:
Well then, if people are so adamant that its merely a good conversion, can anyone identify of the components of this miniature? If we can match certain elements of this model to existing models, that would support the idea that its just a conversion.

e.g.
Could the mounted model be based on the unarmoured King Theoden model from the OOP Warg Attack (?) set?
Is that rock and the dead Orc (?) on the base from the Warg Chieftan model?
Could the black and red robes on the foot model be from the armoured King Elessar (Black Gate) model?

Or was the model sculpted from scratch? Either way, it is a fantastic model and I think GW should definately put it into production at some point (whether its next year, if its based on an appearence of Aragorn in the 2nd movie; or after the Hobbit trilogy has been concluded and GW resumes making original non-movie material). Unless of course they don't own the "rights" to that model (if it wasn't made by a GW employee/sculptor or it was made for personal use only).

After the Hobbit trilogy is finished, GW is going to have to start doing original models and sourcebooks again. Rohan hasn't had a decent revamp in a long, long time. What better way to update them than to bring out a new sourcebook covering Rohan's history (Thengel and Thorongil; Eorl and the Fields of Celebrant; the Eotheod and maybe even the Rohirrim's ancient ancestors, the northern tribes of Rhovanion). And Gondor too for that matter.

I think that these are good models and would be a great choice for people who want a strong narrative / themed force - Rohan during King Thengel's time. I hope we get a model for Thengel too.

However, I agree that this should be a low priority. A higher priority needs to be given to The Hobbit, as well as plugging existing gaps in the range (Corsair Reavers). As long as it comes out eventually, in a year or two, during a lull in Hobbit releases or after The Hobbit trilogy; I'm happy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

King Ondoher wrote:
Corsair wrote:

They're sure as hell good enough to put on sale. I'd love to have these miniatures, even in Finecast.

If "good enough" rocks your boat man - thats cool with me - I have high expectations to go with the high prices and I expect nothing short of epic. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Wow, lucky you, can you say where you got them?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

jmh_stirling wrote:
I can say with some confidence that it isn't a conversion: I have both the foot and mounted figures.

I have owned them for about 2 years, so I am doubtful that they will get released at all, unless GW are really desperate for a new release. With the Hobbit getting all the love at the moment, I doubt it will happen soon, if at all.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y478/Galhadrad/Got1Aragorn_zps4f99e972.jpg

You're obviously a well connected man.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

South England huh? gotta be close (ish) :P very very envious.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next