All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:25 am

Post subject: Rohan army
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hi i am new to the hobby and i want to get a rohan army pls can you give me some suggestions

Thanks in advance :aragorn:
 Post subject: Re: Rohan army
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow you're really to the point aren't you? :P. It doesn't really work this way though, do you even have a rulebook?

If you do you might wanna give some indication of what you got in mind, how many points, what characters you like and provide us with a basic list to comment on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

2000 pts. Sorry i have:
6 riders of rohan
aragorn
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

a 2000pt list and all you have is Aragorn and 6 RoR? That isnt even a legal army anymore. I would suggest at the very least picking up the kingdoms of men sourcebook and having a flick through to see what models/ profiles catch your eye.

Rohan are generally considered poor by the gaming community as they have a rubbish defence, average FV, poor shoot value and their cavalry leaves much to be desired. No lances etc. Their only saving grace (and it is a small one) is that all RoR now get to have 100% bow limit.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

2000 points is waaaay too much, 1000 is like the max to play with if you don't want to move hundreds of models and play for 6 hours.

As a beginner start with a 500-700 point force consisting of Warriors and Riders of Rohan and Royal Guard as elites, a single mid-range hero and a command box.

Edit: yeah like SD says, if you want a competitive army Rohan is about the worst army to pick. I always plea for playing with the army you like though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

2000 points? Is this for WoTR or SBG? Either way that's a lot of models to paint and while it's a nice number to aspire to, it's not a great idea for someone new to the hobby. You should be setting your sights a little lower at first and get to grips with the rules.

If it's for SBG you'll need the Rulebook, the Kingdoms of Men Sourcebook and a Rohan hero to lead your riders, I suggest Erkenbrand. Aragorn can join in as an ally, but he can't lead Rohan troops (he's from a different army list, and warriors are selected in warbands of up to 12 models led by a hero from their army list). Then get a box of Warriors of Rohan on foot and the command set. That little lot will be perfect for getting to grips with how the rules work.

Warband 1
Erkenbrand with horse
6 Riders, 2 throwing spears (I'm assuming you have the plastic box set)

Warband 2
Captain
12 warriors, one with a banner and one with a warhorn, 4 throwing spears, 4 bows.

Warband 3
The Kings Huntsman

By my Quick maths thats 399 points, a perfect size for learning SBG. You have heroes, warriors, cavalry, a variety of weapons and a banner and warhorn, so lots of stuff to play around with. You'll also have 2 Warriors spare for when your Riders' horses get killed and you need to replace them with a foot model.

Don't be put off by people saying Rohan aren't competitive. They are loads of fun and have loads of character and winning tournaments is not the sole purpose of the game! The ally system in SBG is really forgiving so you can easily add models from another army if you fell like you need to beef your list up a bit. Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are all really characterful additions, as is Gandalf. I sometimes use Treebeard in my Rohan army for giggles (he does live next door after all).

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Suggest you definatley buy the kindoms of men sourcebook and the hobbit small rulebook as people have said. How you build your army is entirely up to you. You may even prefer another when you get all the books you need. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Anyone ever thought about how powerful aragorn could be in an archery block now that heroic accuracy exists? Considering every good model has at least 4+ shoot value he practically guarantees you will hit where you want every turn.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
12 warriors, one with a banner and one with a warhorn

(Just a minor point):A hornblower isn't necessary is you include Erkenbrand.

As others stated, Rohan might not be the most competitive army but this does not mean that you will not enjoy gaming with them.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
(Just a minor point):A hornblower isn't necessary is you include Erkenbrand.

Yeah, I know, I play Rohan. But I wasn't optimising a list, I was roughly adding up the points of a few boxes and using all the command models (purely because they look nice) to demonstrate that SBG is just as good at low points values and it's easy to gradually collect your force and get to grips with the rules.

Quote:
Anyone ever thought about how powerful aragorn could be in an archery block now that heroic accuracy exists? Considering every good model has at least 4+ shoot value he practically guarantees you will hit where you want every turn.

I hadn't thought about Aragorn in this role, but Heroic Accuracy is a boost to Rohan. Rohan has a couple of cheap 3-mighters and Eowyn (cheap might), the King's Huntsman, Outriders with a 3+ shoot, 8" range throwing weapons and no bow limit for Riders. That's a lot of shots into the spear-carrying second ranks of an enemy formation.
The King's Huntsman snipes heroes to give you an advantage for Heroic Moves and everyone else targets spearmen, using Heroic Accuracy on the turns that you didn't move. Throwing spears could be really good here as 2 lines of Warriors with spears in B2B can both be within 8" and over 6" from enemy infantry.
Rohan suffers against spear (and pike) blocks, but it looks like they now have a few more tools to crack those blocks open and level the playing field.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If you plan to only game with Painted miniatures, plan everything in 250 Point "chunks" - affordable to buy, relatively fast to paint etc - plus you can "escalate" your game play as you go along (playing 250 point games helps you learn the ropes, 500 point games expand on that experience etc, etc).

As was pointed out, what you have so far isn't "legal" - but in friendly games, your opponent shouldn't really mind as you are "starting out" - play with what you own to begin with, just keep the points roughly the same on both sides.

Stick at it, its worth it in the end.