All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:27 pm

Post subject: Hobbit Rules Queries?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The "Volley Fire" special rule is only applied to siege engines in the Hobbit SBG rules manual!

Does this mean that it no longer applies to bow fire?

The Goblin Scribe has the "Always more where they came from" special rule. How does this effect the evil army's break limit?

I am assuming that either it has no effect and that the number of evil troops killed or fled when reached kicks into effect (meaning that the army is broken) or, that the number of evil troops still on the board are counted?

Are their any G.W. staff on this site who can answer this question?

I might send a letter of to G.W. central.
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit Rules Queries?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes volley fire only applies to siege engines

The Goblin scribe reinforcements doesn't count for army's break limit

:)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Why was the volley fire taken out anyway? In my eyes it doesnt seem like something that was super strong or anything.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Apparently, GW just wanted to hurt bow-heavy armies - and realism as well.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm guessing that since they made some warbands able to have more than the typical 33% bow limit they thought they were avoiding issues by taking out volley fire and applying the -1 shoot value when moving.

Loss of volley isn't much for my Elves, since direct fire shooting is so much more effective and range was good, but TBH my Orcs will miss it. Still, the new deployment rules really limit the chance for more than a single turn of volley a lot of times anyway.

The -1 shoot on the move is really the killer for ranged fire in SBG.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm pinging a She-Male off to gamefaqs@gwplc.com

I should have a definitive answer in about a week!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Now orcs/goblins archers are quite useless : range 42cm, 6+ to hit (if they moved) and 2 strenght... :roll:

I think they may have been wrong to erase volley fire from the game, they could adjust it instead.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am presently assembling a force of hunter orcs both foot and mounted, and I have to say that kitting them out with bows just seems a waste of points! I would rather just charge them in, and stopping to fire something that has about as much chance of wounding a dwarf as pea shooter just seems a waste of time!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Volley fire turned the game away from a skirmish game and into a lame game!

A game based on a movie full of epic fight scenes should not be dominated by bow fire.

Also orcs n goblins don't need bows to win. Especially the new goblins n orcs. They want to be right in their opponent's face!
And with the new set up for missions we just dont need bows as much as in the past.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have after some prevarication just pinged off the following e-mail to GW FAQS. I have also asked for permission to post the answers, as soon as they come in!

To Whom it may concern,

I have a couple of questions about the Hobbit Strategy Battle game rule book, that my local GW and staff and the call centre guys were unable to clarify:

1).

The "Volley Fire" special rule is only applied to siege engines in the Hobbit SBG rules manual!

Does this mean that it no longer applies to bow fire?

2).

The Goblin Scribe has the "Always more where they came from" special rule. How does this effect the evil army's break limit?

I am assuming that either it has no effect and that the number of evil troops killed or fled when reached kicks into effect (meaning that the army is broken) or, that the number of evil troops still on the board are counted? Which is correct?

3).

If Gollum has the Ring, how is he effected by the following rules:

A). “Removing the Ring”.

B). “Sauron’s Will”.

I have been collecting and playing LOTR (now the Hobbit) since the game was released and run a small gaming club, some of whom regularly participate at the tournaments. I have say that the game is incredibly well crafted and I have enjoyed every minute.

Would it be possible for me to post the answers on the onering.co.uk as it would be helpful to other enthusiasts?

Thanks for all the hard work on a great game.

Warmest regards,

Bilbo.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

We could have saved you the trouble.
Volley fire is gone. Thank God

Please read the break point rules again you will see the scribe makes no difference because you count dead models and compare to the original numbers to see if you are broken not living models.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cereal_theif wrote:
We could have saved you the trouble.
Volley fire is gone. Thank God

Please read the break point rules again you will see the scribe makes no difference because you count dead models and compare to the original numbers to see if you are broken not living models.

That would indeed make sense!

What about Gollum with the ring?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bilbo wrote:

I am assuming that either it has no effect and that the number of evil troops killed or fled when reached kicks into effect (meaning that the army is broken) or, that the number of evil troops still on the board are counted? Which is correct?

Any goblin spawned by the Goblin Scribe that dies DOES count towards your break limit unless this is ever FAQ'd. Your break point is static and does not go up as you spawn new models, so if your break point was 20, you have spawned 20 goblins and they all die, you have reached your breaking point even if none of your original goblins have died.

Bilbo wrote:
A). “Removing the Ring”.

B). “Sauron’s Will”.

A)
There is nothing specifically stated about Gollum removing the ring. In theory he should benefit from the "It has not yet awakened" rule because he has the ring in the same time period as Bilbo does, but he has been exposed for it to a very long time, so I can understand why he would have to make a roll to take it off. (Although Gollum actually tried to wear the ring as little as possible because he felt it stretching him thin.)

B)
If Sauron does not have the ring (and nobody else on the board does either), Gollum has the ring. If he puts it on, he is lost as a casualty. In fact, I'm relatively certain that the Mordor sourcebook doesn't even mention the word 'foe' or 'opponent' in its wording, so Gollum would be lost as a casualty for putting on the ring even if you had Sauron in the exact same army.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Theik wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

Any goblin spawned by the Goblin Scribe that dies DOES count towards your break limit unless this is ever FAQ'd. Your break point is static and does not go up as you spawn new models, so if your break point was 20, you have spawned 20 goblins and they all die, you have reached your breaking point even if none of your original goblins have died.

Bilbo wrote:
A). “Removing the Ring”.

B). “Sauron’s Will”.

A)
There is nothing specifically stated about Gollum removing the ring. In theory he should benefit from the "It has not yet awakened" rule because he has the ring in the same time period as Bilbo does, but he has been exposed for it to a very long time, so I can understand why he would have to make a roll to take it off. (Although Gollum actually tried to wear the ring as little as possible because he felt it stretching him thin.)

B)
If Sauron does not have the ring (and nobody else on the board does either), Gollum has the ring. If he puts it on, he is lost as a casualty. In fact, I'm relatively certain that the Mordor sourcebook doesn't even mention the word 'foe' or 'opponent' in its wording, so Gollum would be lost as a casualty for putting on the ring even if you had Sauron in the exact same army.

Thats actually quite interesting and fits in with my idea of Gollum from the books (clearing off and hiding in some dark hole), I'm keen to see how G.W. clear this up. Also factoring in that this Gollum is from the Hobbit rather than the older version from the LOTR, who is designed as afoil for Frodo.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bilbo wrote:
Theik wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

Bilbo wrote:
A). “Removing the Ring”.

B). “Sauron’s Will”.

A)

B)

Thats actually quite interesting and fits in with my idea of Gollum from the books (clearing off and hiding in some dark hole), I'm keen to see how G.W. clear this up. Also factoring in that this Gollum is from the Hobbit rather than the older version from the LOTR, who is designed as afoil for Frodo.

........ and should benefit from the "It has not yet awakened" rule!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:

Breaking is worked out by how many models you have left on the board. So if you had 40 to start with, spawned 10 and lost 20. you wouldnt be broken as you still have 30 models left on the board.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Quote:

Breaking is worked out by how many models you have left on the board. So if you had 40 to start with, spawned 10 and lost 20. you wouldnt be broken as you still have 30 models left on the board.

Actually it would appear that Theik is correct, the rules specifically state on page 47 that the "casualties suffered" by the force are used for to calculate the "Broken Force" "Break Point", and not the remaining forces which must test for Courage!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So he is...must have skimmed over that bit in the rules. My mistake :oops:

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Kinda makes more sense that way. Being able to call in reinforcements and put more models on the table is a huge advantage. A significant setback balances it out nicely.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It would have been overly powerful if the army break point was judged by models on the table.

I am presently working on a 500 point Goblin Town army and am close to finishing the scribe. I have completed 33 of the critters, but intend to have about 50 to allow for reinforcements, though I suspect that he will be target number one with my usual gaming group!