All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cruci's WIP Update Ranger of the North 1/24/2013
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Thermo

For my basing I use sand, Burnt Grass and Middenland Tufts I bought all of them from GW. As from the process for making them look like mine is the following.

Start of with applying PVA glue to the base of the mini. (I use GWs PVA glue.) Let it dry for some time, at best a few hours. The guys at GW said it was smart to do it before you went to bed and let it dry over night.

When that is done, I just use a very waterdownd Abbaddon Black and paint the sand. If it is watered down the paint slips trough the holes between the sand and fills them with the water that is black it is a lot faster to paint the entire base that way and less paint used. After that I highlight/drybrush the base with Gorthor Brown, I used to use Rhinox Hide instead, but I like the Gorthor Brown a bit more.

After doing all that I rip off some tufs from the plastic sheet they are applied to, that way I can deciede roughly how I want them on the model. Then I apply some PVA glue in between the empty spots that it creates cause that is where I want my Burnt Grass to be. (In my mind Arnor has quite the wild flora with lots of grass in it. I mean look at the Shire!) When I have decied where to put my tufs I remove them and apply burnt grass and let that dry aswell. Then I apply PVA to the bottom of the tufs and place them where I want them. Sometimes I pick up small stones from the ground and paint them then glue them to the base aswell. Before the step with tufs and grass.

I'm sorry for the wall of text, hope it helps o/

@LordEldron

I think the easiest way is to get rid of the spears is to chop them off, and then either let them have nothing in their hands or you could make a sword/dagger/hand weapon out of green stuff, or keep the tip of the spear and glue it to one hand to make it look like either a dagger or a sword. I was thinking of it for the guy in the middle. But then it felt like I would copy Monotone Matt so I skipped it. The one thing messing with this is that they got a sheated sword at ther waist already so you would have to pretend that is either a sword or an dagger without an scabbard. Just my two cents hope it helps you=)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice work they are indeed painted very well and i love the hay/bush/grass bases :yay:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi again One-Ring, thank you for the kind comments since last time. o/

So I finished my last Dunedains last night, so without further adieu here they are!

Solo Pictures :

The last guy was really horrible to paint the face since the bottom half was round like a balloon, but I left the bottom a bit darker hoping it would look like it narrowed down his face. Anyone know another good way to make look less round?

Group Shot:

My conclusion after painitng all the "elite" units of Arnor is that the Grey Company models was the most boring ones to paint and wasnt the best sculpted. The one that was really fun to paint was Rangers of the North, they were well sculpted and I think the Dunedains would be fun too if I would have gotten some other sculpts then the ones that I got.

This would also be where I would be finished with my Arnor force, but I feel it is not complete as it is. I think I might pick up the Twins, Halbarad with the banner and some more Rangers of the North and Dunedains with different sculpts if I get the chance. I also got two Aragorn sculpts right now but it feels like you can never have too many of them!:P I will also be playing my first game with my Arnor force this afternoon at my local GW so wish me luck, we will see if that kills the spark for Arnor but I doubt it. That being said I should really start on Evil army so I can play some games versus my GF and roomate, so who knows what will be the next project \o/

I'm sorry for the wall of text guys, I should perhaps get a blog instead of writing this much on the forums. As always please C&C as I do wish to improve my painting and harsh criticism is often good for that, so just throw it at me ;)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Another excellent job with the painting and basing, can't wait for a full army shot ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I second Crucium Giger on that, show us the whole army :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thirded! Hats of to this WIP, it's been an inspiration!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'll see if I can get a good photo of the army, I will try to use the daylight hours tomorrow. =)

I'm having troubles picking what I will be painting next, I might try to pick something up to enter The Fang painting competition at my local GW meaning I got intill April to finish the model. I really feel like I want to give NMM another go.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Awesome job brother!
 Post subject: Re: Cruci's WIP Update Dunedains
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Ste!

I didn't know how to take a good army shot of my Grey Company so I hope this will do : / I'm sorry for the slow response I've been quite busy.

I havn't been painting that much lately because I've a lot in school and one of my dogs turning pretty ill. But I have painted two WoMT so here they are.

WoMT with sword and shield

WoMT with bow

I also tried painting some water to the base what are your thoughts about it? Couse I'm not sure if I like it or not. I'm thinking I might add some sand over it to cover it up. It is meant to look like water being stired and the white lines are the waves.

As always please C&C!!
 Post subject: Re: Cruci's WIP Update Ranger force and WoMT
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All your models are looking gorgeous, your Grey Company are very well-painted. However, I think your photos let your models down quite a bit, it's a shame they're so dark!

I suggest you try using a white background (do you have a lid of a box you could use? I use the Escape from Goblin Town box as my background, the Mines of Moria box would also work!) and putting the figures on a piece of white paper. Then, use natural light or a table lamp to illuminate the figs! Maybe it would be worth a try? I'm sure your models will look even better! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'll try to take a picture in the future with a white background, I normally take pictures with daylight but I should try harder=)

What are your thought about the water tho? I really want to know if I should remove it.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I personally think the water is a cool addition and is something you don't see every day, I'd keep it! If it bothers you that much you could always paint over a bit! And to make it look more watery, how about glazing it with watered-down PVA glue?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The womt look excellent. Love their bases :yay:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The subtle highlighting is very nice! :yay:

The bases are also very good and creative 8)
Well done!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The themed bases are fantastic!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks guys for the kind responses!

@Matt
I used GW ard coat on the water. I guess you can't make it out that well, I might try PVA glue next time. Cheers for the advice tho!

I managed to pick up EFGT for 35euro yesterday, so Thorin & CO are sure to be coming up in this WIP in a near future:P
 Post subject: Re: Cruci's WIP Update Bofur
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi One-Ring!

I sat up to about 4am last night painting Bofur from the EFGT box, he was really fun to paint and the detail on the scultps were really good. I'm quite pleased how he turned out and I even tried some NMM on his pickaxe that I'm pretty happy with. So here he is!

Bofur

I'm saving the base for later as I'm still not sure how I'll do them for the rest of the company. But as always please C&C!

Last edited by Crucifer on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like him alot!
The highlighting is nice and neat and the dark tones of the mini give him a nice grim, determined look 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fantastic and definitely worth the time and effort you put into! His face looks great!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow Cruci, he looks amazing! Stunning job, awesome work!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next