All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:20 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Avenger's WIP - 25/1
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looking good Avenger. What are you going to do for the floor? My only suggestion is go for multiple rock ledge levels for more vertical depth so to speak.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

kidterminal wrote:
Looking good Avenger. What are you going to do for the floor? My only suggestion is go for multiple rock ledge levels for more vertical depth so to speak.

The floor? As in the table top? I don't have the space to store any more tall stuff, like rock formations, so this will be as 3-D as it gets, unfortunately.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

theavenger001 wrote:
kidterminal wrote:

The floor? As in the table top? I don't have the space to store any more tall stuff, like rock formations, so this will be as 3-D as it gets, unfortunately.

Yes I mean the table covering. Will you use a mat or foam tiles?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

kidterminal wrote:
theavenger001 wrote:
kidterminal wrote:

Yes I mean the table covering. Will you use a mat or foam tiles?

At this point, no. I don't have a grass mat or anything like that either, so I'm used to playing on a table for all my games. I find that it's not that distracting; but maybe if I had a chance to play on a fully done table I would find it way better - I don't know.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I suggest trying this cheap option first. Buy a piece of dark brown felt cloth large enough to cover your play table. A piece of cloth should be less than $20 and its easy to store. I think you'll enjoy your centenary more with a covering like that.
 Post subject: Re: Avenger's WIP - 30/1
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes,
Please post the pictures of your converted rangers.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks graet so far, cant wait to see it finished :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As requested, here's my rangers. I never finished painting these guys, but you can see where my painting was at ~4 years ago. The one guy with the darker face I probably re-did about 2 years ago.

Post subject: Re: Avenger's WIP - 31/1
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ah.
You adde chain mail to them. It seems quite effective but wouldn't really stand out. Maybe it would have been even better with a helmet?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice chain mail.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordElrond wrote:
Ah.
You adde chain mail to them. It seems quite effective but wouldn't really stand out. Maybe it would have been even better with a helmet?

Yes, that would probably have been good. But, as you can see, my sculpting skill wouldn't have been up to that at that point.

Kidterminal wrote:
Nice chain mail.

Thanks. Though it's rather bad imo. The holes are too big, and they're not lined up nicely. I also didn't take anyhting off the figures, so the chainmail sticks out too much.

Anyways, I've now got the sculpting bug. I played a quick game on my new terrain with my goblins, and saw some prowler conversions that I hadn't finished. So I'm finishing off those, and converting a shaman, as I only have one at the moment. I'm also hoping to convert groblog yet, and maybe ashrak, we'll see. I also did some more work on Suladan.

And yes, I will sculpt a thumb onto the shaman's hand yet..

Post subject: Re: Avenger's WIP - 1/2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent looking goboes!
I'm converting a load of these myself at the moment and I know how tricky they can be...

Well done 8) :yay:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes plastic heavy armies need a lot of converting. You get board with their limited poses. They are looking good, especially the orc bow.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I really like the mail you added to those rangers :)

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@ sid, Thanks. I actually find goblins to be really easy to convert. They're a dime a dozen, so if you mess one up it's not the end of the world. (though I've made sure that I haven't messed one up :P ) The spear poses are hard to convert without extensive putty work, but all of the other poses are quite easy to work with imho.

@Kidterminal, I actually don't mind having a bunch of the same poses, I like the look of a bunch of the same pose all in a line...But I know that's not for some people. I just try and convert the poses of as many of my prowlers as possible - as well as giving them the chain mail - to try and make them easier to differentiate. :)

@elflover, thanks. Though I think that it's not that great. Compare it to the chain mail on these goblin prowler conversions, and it looks bad. Funny how I put these up as 'bad' or 'beginner' sculpting, and yet I've gotten lots of complements on it... :roll:

Anyways, time for an update. I did some more work on suladan, the shaman, and started on groblog. If anybody has ideas of what to do for suladan's main torso, I'd be glad to hear them. I don't want to go with the funny looking horn thing GW gave him. I will give him a back banner, just so he fits in with my raiders. I am planning on keeping it small though, more in keeping with the raiders'.

Suladan

Shaman. I need to work on the staff a bit to make it look better where it joins his hand, and obviously sculpt a head. I also need to repair the armour on his back.

Groblog. The main things that stick out for groblog are his cloak and huge crown. Other than that I will just repair his arms. I will not have him practicing his parkour skills on the base. I'm not sure if I'll give him some kind of special base or not though....I will probably need to extend the cloak to his right, as the lack of an arm stub threw off my placement of it.
 Post subject: Re: Avenger's WIP - 6/2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I hope these help.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A brief update. I've got some half finished dwarves on the bench that I would like to finish off before Saturday for a battle, as well as a bunch of haradrim and Khandish that I managed to prime because of the nice weather. I have also done some more sculpting on the goblins. Nothing more on Suladan, yet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:40 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

lovely moria terrain you have there :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, I still haven't done anything new on Suladan. Somehow I just can't get my mind around how to do the armour. I'm also not sure when I want to put the arms on....

Anyways, I've finished off the shaman, and I just need to sculpt the crown and a brooch to hold the cloak of the goblin king.

The shaman's face was my first attempt at scratch sculpting a head. My first try was very flat - he had no jaw. So I added a blob and made him a jaw. It wasn't looking too much like a head, but I could see some mask in it. So after tweaking and prodding and poking and pushing some putty, I came up with what I have now. I think it looks quite like an african witch doctor type mask thing, which works quite well with goblins imo.

C & C appreciated. :)
 Post subject: Re: Avenger's WIP - 26/2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry for the double post, but if someone had commented it wouldn't be one... :E :)

Some progress on Suladan, mostly just finalizing his pose. I also did some work on groblog's crown. I hope to dive in and do some work on Suladan's armour yet today, so you may see another update yet. *fingers crossed*

I decided to go for flags/penants on his 'back banner' thing to try to keep the same aethstetic, but not have the silly terribly wind resistant sail thing....

*Edit* started on the armour. I will add some fancy bits and such once this is dry. I will also add some ties at the sides. I'm also thinking of doing something to help blend the armour into the mini cape thing, maybe some layered leather?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next