All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:38 am

Post subject: Re: Feb Releases - GDG News
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Out of curiosity, how do you make any money? 10-25% off seems like the profit margins would be too small to stay in business for long.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Either that or GW's margins are just that high.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Hurray! Thanks and I appreciate the kind comments.

@Draugluin - I stay in business through people like yourselves! My overheads aren't that high at the moment as we have a good deal on storage and a spare room at home was converted to a full blown studio for the purposes of acting as our registered office and painting studio, U.K Tax at 20% is my biggest thorn but being V.A.T registered offsets a whole lot of that making it viable where it otherwise wouldn't be.

Sure, sometimes I only make £1-£2 profit an item on some of the older lines, but I'd rather make that then make NO money and my customers go to totalwargamer (who I REALLY don't know how they stay in business) and wayland games, so I NEED to be competitive. Most lines make me 10-15% profit so yes, GW margins are quite high indeed! However I believe GW makes most of it's money through people like myself, just today I sent them just shy of a thousand pounds for stock and thats on a quiet month.

It is a pain for things like paints and glue as they come in multipacks and one might not be so sure that he'll sell 6 lots of XV-88 paint, but you get them in stock as convenience for the customer and the stock is an investment, part of the business just the same as the money in the bank account is.

The biggest profit is the painting service, purely as the only real cost is time and manual labor, and with my partner recovering from a disability (one that seems to make her paint amazingly it seems -_- so unfair) its a real great feeling to see her putting that in and getting money back which in turn puts food on the table.

I do pay for a good any other things of course, postage can be a sting at times but current deals are keeping it low and occasionally (such as when the Hobbit was released) I contract in some help for a few weeks, that again is an outgoing but I am a clever guy and will never see my business go into the red.

I feel at this point that I've said too much already, but there you have it all. A great insight into my business and if needed, further proof I am a genuine hobbyist like yourself with a love of all things tabletop who just decided to make a living out of it.

In a final piece of other news, I'll be announcing an awesome prize draw raffle tomorrow, £1 a ticket for a selection of goodies as pictured on our facebook page. Something I've not seen done before and mostly just for the fun of it!

EDIT: I am glad to see Dead Marshes is finally booked up until 2014, it means I can breathe a sigh of relief and not feel bad about taking new bookings now as we're free after the end of March 2013. Although, he is I think my biggest customer so if you're reading this DMS, look out for freebies in your order ;).

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice pics oh might dragon. Any clue why GW are wasting packaging by putting Elrond and Yazneg into boxes rather than little clampacks? Price justification attempt perhaps, maybe to fit in with the spacious 12 man boxes?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:29 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

greendragon wrote:
Hurray! Thanks and I appreciate the kind comments.

@Draugluin - I stay in business through people like yourselves! My overheads aren't that high at the moment as we have a good deal on storage and a spare room at home was converted to a full blown studio for the purposes of acting as our registered office and painting studio, U.K Tax at 20% is my biggest thorn but being V.A.T registered offsets a whole lot of that making it viable where it otherwise wouldn't be.

Wow, 20%? That's pretty terrible. Too bad you don't ship to/are based in America as I would be giving you just about all of my business. I'm not anti big business, they employ most people, but I would love to give my money to a small business, especially when that small business is so much cheaper!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Thanks Draug :) Yes I think small businesses are much more geniune, as we have time to interact with customers and get excited about the latest releases while larger companies have to run around all day just to keep it from going wrong, too many plates to spin. I think with my setup here I am onto a winner :) Slow but sure.

Also re: finecast boxes, I have no idea but I bought a doomflayer (single model) that came in a box, and a box of 5 sternguard space marines also came in the same sized box. I think the old blister packs are a thing of the past and its all small boxes from now on, but then if you think about it - a small sheet of the thin cardboard they use is probably a darnsight cheaper than a square of cardboard plus a plastic bubble and the foamy thing at the back of the packet. In my opinion, it also looks a lot more attractive too.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I meant boxes instead of the FC clampacks, not metal blister packs, though I think the clampacks are even worse environmentally and moneywise than the blisters.

I bought a dweller and goblin commanders not long ago and they had the smae size box. The dweller was squeezed in whilst the gobbos could easily have fit 3 times as many.

@Draugy, you didn't know that our VAT was 20%, what is your US VAT like?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Our VAT is 0% . . . we have sales tax that is different from county to county. Some are 0% sales tax while some might go as high as 8.5-9%
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here in canada we have gst (goods and services tax), and pst (provincial sales tax). I believe pst varies province by province, but gst is constant. One is about 7% and the other 5% here, iirc. So roughly 12% for me.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:10 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Here in Quebec, the new HST is heading towards 16%.

Lots of Canadian outlets of international chains award themselves a small surcharge (GW does this, as do clothes chains and so on) for operating in Canada. Considering how people pay higher taxes (sort of, long story), this does affect purchasing decisions.

So pay full prices from GW? Not even in jest.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I don't even know what VAT stands for, I would like to say that taxes are insanely low here (they are considering your taxes), but Obamacare has already caused a tax hike. Where I live, we pay 6.5% sales tax on stuff, and since I'm living off of a non-taxable Air Force scholarship stipend, that's the only tax I currently pay. I do tithe 10%, but that's purely choice, the government isn't taking any of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

VAT = value added tax. Automatically added on to pretty much every product bar some foods and some other bits I cant remember. Used to be 17.5% but our lovely government hiked it up to 20%

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Man, that stinks. Sorry for getting this so far off topic, but I find these kinds of things interesting.