All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:23 am

Post subject: what next?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Over a decade ago I painted Mitril minis. I stopped just as GW released the LOTR game. Well after all this time I decided to pick up the Mines of Moria and Escape from Goblin Town box sets. I would like to build Middle Earth from here. I figured the Misty Moutains was the places to start. I'm very new to the game aspect. I would appreciate any advise on books or building the game in genral? Is it possible to pay senrio and large battles?

Post subject: Re: what next?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sounds like you need the Moria and Angmar sourcebook, that will give you a good idea of the heroes and other warriors you might want to pick. You'll need to structure your army with warbands: 1 hero leading up to 12 troops.

You can play scenarios, and the Moria and Angmar book has the 6 generic scenarios described in the front of the book. You can also play pretty large battles. We regularly play 800-1000 points (which takes a full evening with breaks and social chitchat and players who aren't completely up on the rules). If we want something quicker we go for 500+. But you'll probably want to start with 250+ just to get a handle on the rules and discover dice-rolling shortcuts, otherwise it can be overwhelming.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As whafrog said, the Moria and Angmar sourrcebook wshould probably be step 1. He also pointed out that you need 1 hero for every 12 warriors in your army to lead them in a 'warband' (warbands affect initial deployment and nothing else). Since there are no goblin heroes amongst your 24 mines of moria goblins, i'd recommend picking up Durburz and a moria goblin shaman, they are the standard options for goblin leaders :)

This website: http://lonelyknight.0fees.net/ features a link to a free army builder. This is helpful for finding out the points costs for your goblin town models, just incase you don't want to buy a £50 rulebook for the models you already have the profiles of :)

I wish you the best of luck, and welcome to the hobby :)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks alot. What table top is a better suited size 6x4 or 8x4? I have a room dedicated to this in my basement so space is irrelvant.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welcome to the forum and to the game :-D . I am also starting a Moria army and I am eager to expand it.
It depends on what points you are playing. But I would recommend a 6x4 filled with 33%-50% terrain as the developers suggest. In the beginning even 6x4 may be too big.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Alright. Well then I suppose 6x4 it is. I think I will keep the points under 1500. After readind Whafrogs comments. Terran building and painting is what truly intrests me. This is what I was doing years ago. I wanted to develop a game when I was doing Mithril minis but never did. I'm glade Games Workshop did. Lol! Now I can paint and build with out the guilt of having a room full of dust collectors! My step son and I have been playing a couple nights a week to get the feel of the rules.

This site is a wealth of info from what I have read so far. I can't thank you responders enough for helping me make a few decision that I have been pondering. Your hospitality and advise are much appreciated. I'm lucky I found this place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'll agree with the previous posters, but I would say that a 4x4 board is fine up to 1000 points.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Damian wrote:
I'll agree with the previous posters, but I would say that a 4x4 board is fine up to 1000 points.

Agreed, but when you're closing in on 1000 points it might be a bit cramped if there's cavalry on the board.

If you're just starting out, 2x4 is plenty for 250-350 points per side.