All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Hobbit models
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So, is that a sword or an axe/hammer that Thror is holding? I can't tell because of the straight on shot. I sure hope it's not a sword!

As someone else commented earlier in this thread, with the release of Men of Dale this seems to open the possibility of just about anything appearing in the film. We know we're getting Azog at some point and FineCast Thorin's Company, but beyond that it's hard to say.

One thing is for certain, GW will keep cranking out product to try to take our money. I'm glad there's enough variety coming out that I can pick and choose what I like and not feel obligated to buy something just to keep adding to my collection. Most of the FineCast stuff has been pretty bad, I did pick up Bolg and am considering Yazneg just because the foot version is so sweet looking. Thror will be my second FC purchase.

Last edited by The Arkenstone on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thror does look great. I can't see me resisting. Although I don't know his stats because I can't justify paying the price of the rulebook.

Is there any chance of being PM'd a link to Thrain?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So the rumour about a 10 model box for the price of a 12 model box has turned out to be true. Is anyone actually surprised by this?

I'm calling it now, I think this WILL set a precedent for future releases.

I'm not even going to bother stating my opinions on the releases as I know I won't ever get any of them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Pfft i don;t care what you all say Thror is going right into my pre-order basket along with a whole bucket of dwarf warriors. We already have the grimhammers and the standard dwarf warriors, both of whom look regimented and heavily armored. These guys, on the other hand, look pretty sweet!

That said, what i am annoyed about is that i have paid £50 for an incomplete rulebook that does not include profiles for models being released only 2 months after it has! What a joke!

Also, i really like how the men of dale look sort of sultan-ish, i enjoyed using my rohirrim as dalish men back in the rotk days but, considering their proximity to the the arid lands of Rhun, this interpretation is alot more logical!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

King Ondoher wrote:
So the rumour about a 10 model box for the price of a 12 model box has turned out to be true. Is anyone actually surprised by this?

I'm calling it now, I think this WILL set a precedent for future releases.

I'm not even going to bother stating my opinions on the releases as I know I won't ever get any of them.

I'm sure you are right. 10 to a box going forward. If there were lots of extra bits to replace the two lost models, it might not be so bad, but I doubt that's the case.

GW has the raised the prices, one way or another, with every month's release. It's really discouraging.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Interesting release.

I’m not even that big of a fan of dwarves but WOW that Thror model is beautiful.

Look at that beard!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:54 pm 
There are NO rules in this WD, just the new releases being advertised along with the price and a little painting guide. I suspect they will advertise these models at friday evening at the games-workshop site.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
The Arkenstone wrote:
So, is that a sword or an axe/hammer that Thror is holding? I can't tell because of the straight on shot. I sure hope it's not a sword!

It appears to be a jagged-sword type thing, custom made Dwarven King's sword, looks pretty deadly. Source: White Dwarf sat on my lap right here. It did not come with rules so I would assume the rumour is correct and warriors of dale and erebor rules will be IN the boxes. Bold move but a good one nonetheless as they were missed from Film 1's rulebook.

IMPORTANT. Retailers are only allowed to order 10 of a each single finecast product from supply point each week, if anybody wants to pre-order a finecast model mentioned quite alot in this thread please make sure you get in there first when pre-orders go up. Number 11 onwards will be delayed by a week and with how unbelievably beautiful this model is I expect it'll fill up fast. (I have 9 slots left for pre-order week).
EDIT: Clarifying that means 10 Thrors and 10 something else not 10 finecast altogether.

I can't really release official confirmation/pricing on this thread just yet, but as usual Friday at 23:50 ish releases go up online everywhere and you can see prices for yourself, free U.K shipping over £40 does still apply to pre-orders too.

Honestly though, I am not much of Dwarven player. I had considered it but am wanting to focus on my Isengard army. After seeing Thror, and getting him regardless, I'm thinking I want to field such a great looking miniature so with all these Grimhammers and Warriors of Erebor coming out... Well. I say the hobbyist in me is getting VERY excited about these releases. Can't see much use for a men of dale box yet, I need to be inspired by Dale scenarios, goblin raids etc, or have more models from Dale come out to make a decent force.

- Model Painting Service also available.

Last edited by greendragon on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The Arkenstone wrote:

Its a sword, the FAQ for the core changes Thror from "Two handed Axe" to "Sword".

But his model does look totally awesome, I'd buy it and use Thrain because I don;t really like Thror. Not really interested in the men of dale, 10 models, 20 quid, no way.
The Warriors of Erebor are a huge disappointment to me, they should be Grim Hammers, with shields and spears. I'll like cut the arms off my Grim Hammers and give them spears and shields, but am hugely disappointed.

Lindir...what...were...they...thinking.
That is all I have to say on Lindir.

Overall, the Warriors of Chaos and the Hobbit releases have no excited me at all lately, I was looking forward to seeing the WoE, but, I am considering not buying them.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Arkenstone wrote:

Quote:
GW has the raised the prices, one way or another, with every month's release. It's really discouraging.

At this rate I might be using http://www.mithril.ie/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=1865473&BrandID=167465 for LoTR gaming. The price is not far off Finecast. At least you get something in Pewter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

BoromirofIpswich wrote:
The Arkenstone wrote:

Quote:

At this rate I might be using http://www.mithril.ie/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=1865473&BrandID=167465 for LoTR gaming. The price is not far off Finecast. At least you get something in Pewter.

They are also 32mm scale, so I'm not sure how well they will mix in with GW models.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

btw I imagine Thror's sword is a 'sword mace' much like Balin's!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Men of dale are nice - not buying them though. Erebor warriors are nice - not buying them though. notice a pattern here?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Will you buy something thats not nice? O.o

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

greendragon wrote:

what im saying is they can keep making nice models, even where they could be better than the models from the last batch, but if they can't price them realistically, let alone stop raising the prices for no real reason, then I am not going to get them :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

plenty of companies do mongol miniatures, think id rather get them instead!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Corsair wrote:
greendragon wrote:

what im saying is they can keep making nice models, even where they could be better than the models from the last batch, but if they can't price them realistically, let alone stop raising the prices for no real reason, then I am not going to get them :wink:

You paid X last month, so let's see if you will pay more than X this month. That is GWs mentality, anyway. Unfortuantely, if you want the shiny new stuff, you have little choice.

I can't remember the last time I bought a GW model at retail prices though. I seriously think they don't expect anyone to pay full price and anyone who does is just padding their margins even further. At 25% off the prices aren't horrible.

People like to point to what the models cost when Fellowship came out in 2001 as a comparison, but that was 12 years ago. Does anything cost the same today as it did then? Also, the quality of these plastic sculpts is way beyond those from 2001. Just look at Moria Goblins and Mordor Orcs. I'm not convinced the character models are much better (in some cases they are worse), but in general the model quality has risen dramatically.

I'm not defending GW by any means, but I still buy the models I like. I just don't buy everything like I used to because it's too expensive and my wife would kill me.

I shudder to think what Finecast Azog foot and mounted is going to cost. With Bolg running $25 for just the foot version, I'd have to think Azog will be north of $50 for the pair of models.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Seems to be another price rise for the new warriors... was £15 for 12 and now it's 12/10 for 20. That brings the total from £1.25 to £1.66 per model (12 pack) or £2 per model (10 pack)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SidTheSloth wrote:
Seems to be another price rise for the new warriors... was £15 for 12 and now it's 12/10 for 20. That brings the total from £1.25 to £1.66 per model (12 pack) or £2 per model (10 pack)

Don't forget - we are getting the rules for Dale Warriors for free! What a deal!

I'm really glad I held off buying the HC Rulebook as it's already obsolete in terms of having profiles for everything from the first film.

I don't see what GWs motive is for reducing the model count from 12 to 10 unless they are going to release some kind of command pack to get back to 12 models or they expect people to buy an extra box of warriors to get to 20 or 30 models.

Otherwise, why should they care how many models are on a sprue (outside of the very marginal increase in materials cost)? Whether the extra components build two more guys or are just extra heads and weapon arms, the cost is more or less the same to them.

I suppose they could be planning to increase all of the 12 model boxes to be the same per model cost as the Men of Dale. Now, that would really be a kick in the pants.

Last edited by The Arkenstone on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was in my favourite Italian coffee shop where I go after Mass and was talking to the owner about how run-down the town centre was - one in six shops empty, and a large number of the remaining shops are charity shops.

The owner was telling me that one of the landlords of the properties in the town gets his coffee from him. The owner of the coffee shop pointed out to the landlord that he could rent cheaper property in the centre of London. The landlord's reply: "So many shops are empty that I and other landlords have to raise the rent of those that are let to compensate for this."

I was flabbergasted.

Why do I mention this?

I think that GW and, come to think of it, pubs are all victims of the same business mentality. "We have fewer customers so to get the same turnover lets increase the costs."

Years ago, before old age set in and more important things came to pre-occupy my mind (like can you make the Fellowship a viable 1000 pt army) I studied Economics at Exeter - never used that learning, but then again, in the 80's you could go to university for free. Some distant memory has just stirred about the elasticity of demand for luxuries. With income falling so will demand for GW's products. Can raising the price so that a single figure is now close to the price of a PC game, Far Cry 3 is circa £30 on Amazon, the likely cost of Bolg, be good business sense????

Probably wrong of me to mention prices on this thread, so feel free to move it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next