All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: March Hobbit Releases
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Great find. I enjoy knowing what GW will release before the local GW employees do. And the Men of Dale thing if true, make me annoyed they didn't do it with Yazneg.

@theavneger, that sounds exactly like what GW will do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

jamescave wrote:
Australia is always the worst treated by GW

Oh don't i know it...

Another round of releases that I will only look at and not buy till they appear on ebay at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The real reason (beyond money) is probably to increase the likelihood people will make use of banners and musicians from buying command boxes. A captain or two, with a box of 10 and a banner and musician is a full company and an independent...

EDIT: What I'd meant to say was that it is to encourage the sales of commander boxes because people might use some of the stuff inside instead of just the heroes... as well as making you buy three boxes for 2 full warbands.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

rumtap wrote:
jamescave wrote:
Australia is always the worst treated by GW

Oh don't i know it...

Another round of releases that I will only look at and not buy till they appear on ebay at a reasonable price.

Sadly I lust over the Erebor dwarves (my guess is $55 for 12) and the grimhammer captain (please don't be over $40)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Box of ten....I don't think I'll be buying those right away, going to focus on the Dwarves and Elves
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I will wait quite a while before considering any purchases - it's not that there are not some decent minis in there, it's just the current pricing and the lack of storage space!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dorthonion wrote:
I will wait quite a while before considering any purchases - it's not that there are not some decent minis in there, it's just the current pricing and the lack of storage space!

Absolutely! The current price strategy is ridiculous! The new range is just too expensive.

Shame as I love the figures and the game and probably would have bought all of it if it was 1/2 the price...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thats the problem with GW, for every person that buys something, I'm betting more than 2 people don't because of the prices.

Lower prices would make more sales.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wrt to prices, I think they have finally 'jumped the shark'. A few years back some of the pupils I teach were into GW, usually W40K but a few did LoTR. As the years went by the youngsters dropped the hobby, citing cost.

That was a few years ago.

I don't know of any youngsters that play GW games and I rarely see youngsters in the GW shop. My experience might be all too limited but my gut reaction is that "Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is going to be a surprise for GW. But in the opposite way to "Fellowship of the Ring".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Introduce them to Historical gaming. There are plenty of companies other than GW that do fantastic quality miniatures (though of course the quality does vary a lot) for very good prices, and the majority of them even use metal.

Gripping Beast.
Musketeer Miniatures.
Wargames Factory.
Wargames Foundry.
Crusader Miniatures.
Battlefront.

To name but a few. Many of these models are suitable for LOTR, especially if you convert and paint them to better resemble Middle Earth.

And thats not even counting the Sci Fi and Fantasy ranges. Off the top of my head...

Warmachine and Hordes.
Malifeux.
Kings of War.

Frankly, I think its tragic that anyone, kids most of all, feel it necessary to quit the Hobby due to GW's absurd pricing. Gamesworkshop does not = the wargaming hobby.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

^^ don't forget Perrys miniatures, I think they're some of the best metal in the business!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

King Ondoher wrote:
Introduce them to Historical gaming. There are plenty of companies other than GW that do fantastic quality miniatures (though of course the quality does vary a lot) for very good prices, and the majority of them even use metal.

Gripping Beast.
Musketeer Miniatures.
Wargames Factory.
Wargames Foundry.
Crusader Miniatures.
Battlefront.

To name but a few. Many of these models are suitable for LOTR, especially if you convert and paint them to better resemble Middle Earth.

And thats not even counting the Sci Fi and Fantasy ranges. Off the top of my head...

Warmachine and Hordes.
Malifeux.
Kings of War.

Frankly, I think its tragic that anyone, kids most of all, feel it necessary to quit the Hobby due to GW's absurd pricing. Gamesworkshop does not = the wargaming hobby.

You need to put that into your sig, it would save you from writing it out every single time you post on one of these release threads.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

He's right though-some of those ranges make great models that would work well for LOTR...

Thank you :-)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No White Dwarf Daily article yet...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

River Zora wrote:

Never is on pre-release Friday, until it all goes up at midnight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
And they're up on my site! Prices and all http://www.greendragongames.co.uk/deals ... l?limit=15

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Click to: Show
Draugluin wrote:
You need to put that into your sig, it would save you from writing it out every single time you post on one of these release threads.

:rofl:

I'm going to keep on saying it everytime someone says they're not going to get something or that they're going to quit the Wargaming hobby because GW is absurdly expensive; no matter how much it annoys you.

Like I said, there are a lot of great alternatives out there and people shouldn't feel the need to quit the Wargaming hobby altogether simply because the biggest wargaming company has jumped the shark.

That said, the Warriors of Dale are growing on me and I think they're fantasic, the best models in this release. I hope they'll get a fully fledged army list with Heroes to lead them and a range of warrior types (some elites, like a Kings Guard, cavalry, "Hunter" archers etc). Sadly I'm unlikely to get any of them for reasons already stated...

The Erebor Dwarves are also growing on me, though I'm disappointed that they aren't fully armoured like the Dwarf soldiers seen inside Erebor in the film. Hopefully we'll get another troop type of fully armoured Dwarves, e.g. "Thrors Guard" as suggested by someone else.

However, one of the spear armed Dwarves has a really strange, one handed pose. (model on the right).

Draugluin wrote:

Draugluin, I'd like to retract my previous statement and instead refer you to Theoden.

:lol:

Last edited by Pindergorn on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

greendragon wrote:
And they're up on my site! Prices and all http://www.greendragongames.co.uk/deals ... l?limit=15

Just a heads up- the Nurgle Herald is plastc, not FC :)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SonOfArathorn wrote:
River Zora wrote:

Never is on pre-release Friday, until it all goes up at midnight.

It got a half-assed mention in Saturday's post - most of the post was dedicated to Chaos Daemons. Just a list of thumbnails for the new LOTR releases and a promise of more information on Sunday.

Quote:
For The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Strategy Battle Game, there are two new plastic kits and three new character miniatures available. You can find out more about them tomorrow as I am rapidly running out of space in today's post, but you can pre-order them now by clicking on the links above.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Leonardis wrote:
Dorthonion wrote:

Absolutely! The current price strategy is ridiculous! The new range is just too expensive.

Shame as I love the figures and the game and probably would have bought all of it if it was 1/2 the price...

Agreed. It's gone from "ooh I really shouldn't spend X" to "oooh I really can't spend X". Can you get anything for under a tenner? I don't know what young person could afford anything on pocket money. I used to get 12 plastic warriors for €6.50 with BGiME, now you get the same for €30! It's prohibitively expensive now.

Anyway I do genuinely like the march wave, especially Thror, but I shouldn't have to come up with a strategy to afford it. If it was €10 I'd be down at GW first thing Saturday morning. If hypothetically they reduced plastic 50% and finecast 30% I'd go out of my way to buy almost all of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next