All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 5:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Halbarad's Grey Company + All cav Rohan (to come...)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I usually just water down/thin out the paint and apply several layers to it to slowly build up the highlightning. They look really good otherwise and it looks like you are doing a good job!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Crucifer wrote:
I usually just water down/thin out the paint and apply several layers to it to slowly build up the highlightning. They look really good otherwise and it looks like you are doing a good job!

All top tips! Thanks everyone :)

Earlier tonight painted the blonde hair of the riders of rohan and have started on the red shields. Then it's the bleached bone before they get a wash!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I look forward to seeing your rohan cav thermo. Love the batreps btw funny pics :yay:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

John Wayne wrote:
I look forward to seeing your rohan cav thermo. Love the batreps btw funny pics :yay:

Haha thanks buddy!

I'm just finishing the shields, then will still a pre-wash and post-wash photo up :)

Then to highlights!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So not making the progress I promised! Still have 13 more shields to finish before these get a wash but this is an idea of where most of them are up to.

I'm really hoping I get some time tomorrow! If anyone sees me on this forum tomorrow, tell me to get my ass into gear painting!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

looks great, for extra definition have you thought about some weapon swaps between axes, spears and swords. could make them look even more unique on the field.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Corsair wrote:
looks great, for extra definition have you thought about some weapon swaps between axes, spears and swords. could make them look even more unique on the field.

Thanks Corsair! Not doing any conversions with this first bunch but I think if I expand my all mounted Rohan in the future, is certainly consider your advice!

Finally got the washes on, let see how they are in the morning! Highlights on ranger warband 2 tomorrow...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't all the redshields in your army have throwing spears, so conversions are needed

Great painting btw, I'm looking forward to seeing all of your riders finished to this standard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordElrond wrote:
Don't all the redshields in your army have throwing spears, so conversions are needed

Great painting btw, I'm looking forward to seeing all of your riders finished to this standard

For now, whilst we're learning, it can just be assumed me'thinks. I like some of the axe and sword poses so if I do convert, it'll literally be a throwing spear on the back of their shield or something. Same with the Rangers of Arnor really. Don't want all spear poses but if necessary, will just pop a spear on the base to represent them having one to hand.

I know WYSIWYG prevails often but I don't fancy converting all the wargear on all the models as sometimes, this will change.

I'll take a picture of the washed Rohirrim later this afternoon!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey Thermo, GW once (in the good old times, when their site was pretty cool and had tons of tips, and wasn't simply an online shop) had some kind of conversion "tutorial" for the RoR. If you like, I can have a look if I have those pictures still somewhere on my pc.
The conversions were quite simple but the small differences already added a lot of character to the army :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rognarr wrote:
Hey Thermo, GW once (in the good old times, when their site was pretty cool and had tons of tips, and wasn't simply an online shop) had some kind of conversion "tutorial" for the RoR. If you like, I can have a look if I have those pictures still somewhere on my pc.
The conversions were quite simple but the small differences already added a lot of character to the army :)

Hey Rognarr! That sounds fab, I'd appreciate that muchly. You're a star, thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh damn.. next time I should check my hard drive before i promis to much.. I know that I have it printed out in higher resolution somewhere at home but it seems I didn't save the file :sad:
To make up for that I did a little research and at least present you the idea of what I meant to show you:

(After all those years I still dont have a clue waht this brown stuff on the shield and horse of the second guy is meant to be oO)
You can find the article here: http://web.archive.org/web/200605131322 ... groupP.jpg

I'm pretty sure there were more than 4 poses though, so when I have the chance next weekend I try to check that and let you know.
In the meantime maybe have a look at my RoR you can see some of the conversion I did on them (axe/sword swap, lifted bow as attack or victory pose, etc.)

(You can rightclick on the photo and go on "show picture" to see it in full size)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thermo.... After seeing those pics... Redshields could be the way forward for me brother!!!! LOL
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ste271276 wrote:
Thermo.... After seeing those pics... Redshields could be the way forward for me brother!!!! LOL

Haha at this rate, we are literally going to be army twins!

Fancy going halves on one of the new eagle boxsets and take one each? :-D

Thanks for that Rognarr, looking very very good!

What I might do for throwing spears is go down the route of having some smaller, more "throwing" like spears attached to the inside of the shields of rohirrim currently with hand weapons, like this

or in a bundle on the horse for those riders holding bows.

I do love love love your Erkenbrand by the way!

EDIT: Thermo the image link you posted here was far too big for the board so i have altered it. No image should be so large that the reader has to scroll horizontally accross the screen to read/see it.

Thanks
DMS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@Rognarr, I remember this article from White Dwarf. The "brown stuff" on the shield and horse was supposed to represent a warg pelt/fur.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thermo wrote:
Thanks for that Rognarr, looking very very good!

What I might do for throwing spears is go down the route of having some smaller, more "throwing" like spears attached to the inside of the shields of rohirrim currently with hand weapons or in a bundle on the horse for those riders holding bows.

I do love love love your Erkenbrand by the way!

That sounds very good! Personally I'd prefer the bundles to the ones in shields, but that's just my taste. I guess smaller spears would give a quite interesting appearance either way!

And thank you very much for your compliment on Erkenbrand, I really appreciate it since he's my favourite model I guess. The more I find it annoying that his horse looks too small for him :(

Oh, and thanks Ondoher for clearing that up for me! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Riders of Rohan are great! Love Gandalf too!

Nice conversion ideas too.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
EDIT: Thermo the image link you posted here was far too big for the board so i have altered it. No image should be so large that the reader has to scroll horizontally accross the screen to read/see it.

Thanks
DMS

Thanks DMS, I had no idea how to do that!
Quote:

That sounds very good! Personally I'd prefer the bundles to the ones in shields, but that's just my taste. I guess smaller spears would give a quite interesting appearance either way!

And thank you very much for your compliment on Erkenbrand, I really appreciate it since he's my favourite model I guess. The more I find it annoying that his horse looks too small for him :(

I think Erkenbrand is one of my favourite models too. Same issue here, small horse! Not really started painting him properly yet, he's going to be a reward for completing the riders first!

Quote:
Nice conversion ideas too.

Thanks buddy!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thermo wrote:
Quote:

Thanks
DMS

Thanks DMS, I had no idea how to do that!
Quote:

I use paint to resize my images
It's free!!!!
:D
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice work, I like your conversions a lot. Certainly that one with the spear up looks very energetic and not so static as most of the poses are (or maybe we're just so used to those same poses). Your painting looks top notch, well done. Keep your work up, I look forward to seeing your next update. 8)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next