All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Hobbit models
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
The men of Dale is an odd box: 3 bows, 3 spear & shield, 3 sword & shield and 1 with just sword. Maybe he's a captain of Dale? Nice models, just a strange format.

The Warriors of Dale box comes with enough shields to make 3 with Sword and Shield and 4 with Spear and Shield. Still a really wierd ratio in it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

These models without rules (Yazneg and Dale) make me wonder if they had bigger parts in the original 2 movies and when PJ decided to make it 3, it messed up everything and they had to change when they released things. I have a sneaky suspicion that this sourcebook which is coming out has spoilery stuff in which would have been in the movie before the change hence the delay in release.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
I agree with King Ondoher, I reckon the Dwarves shown in the above picture might be an elite 'King's Guard' or something. Doesn't Thorin order Balin to call out the King's Guard just before Smaug attacks in the film, then he and Thrain lead them?

Indeed and agreed, I thought they were a special elite and I'd like to think a 'kings guard' boxset is on the way in the future. The spear and shield guys/kings guard are the clearest shot of any warriors seen in erebor in the first movie so surely there must be a plan to release them. It must be a GW ploy to make us spend pennies on the less attractive dwarves first :P
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
The men of Dale is an odd box: 3 bows, 3 spear & shield, 3 sword & shield and 1 with just sword. Maybe he's a captain of Dale? Nice models, just a strange format.

I took a look at the sprue, and it comes with 7 shields total, so you can arm all of the swordsmen and spearmen with them. Not sure why GW didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So far i havent brought anything out of The Hobbit range besides EFGT and The Trolls (though thats mainly due to money, about £5 off each box set and £2 or £3 off character models and im pretty sure i would have bought much much more), but now looking at that Thror and those dwarves i have a feeling i might have to start saving again :-D
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:
Oooo, a Dwarven Kings Guard equipped with pikes, dwarf armour and shields.

*drools*.

Like easterling pikemen, but D7. :shock:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hirumith, the Grey Knight wrote:
Lord Hurin wrote:
The description page does mention that "When not protecting their homeland, these men can be seen on ships bound for distant wars." so maybe you can put them in any force as mercenaries.

I noticed that too! It struck me as a bit odd, given how far they are from any body of water other than the Long Lake.

The Long Lake empties into the Carnen River which flows all away into the East and then down into the Sea of Rhun.

So Dalemen fighting in the wars of the Easterlings around the Sea of Rhun? Could very easily see it. Dalemen and Khand mercenaries competing for silver in the East? Could see it too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

MoriaMadness wrote:
Quote:
I agree with King Ondoher, I reckon the Dwarves shown in the above picture might be an elite 'King's Guard' or something. Doesn't Thorin order Balin to call out the King's Guard just before Smaug attacks in the film, then he and Thrain lead them?

Indeed and agreed, I thought they were a special elite and I'd like to think a 'kings guard' boxset is on the way in the future. The spear and shield guys/kings guard are the clearest shot of any warriors seen in erebor in the first movie so surely there must be a plan to release them. It must be a GW ploy to make us spend pennies on the less attractive dwarves first :P

I doubt it, but I hope you're right. I have a hard time seeing them do three boxes of Dwarves all for the same army all with the same motiffs, its unprecedented. If this was Warhammer it'd be a done deal. But not for the SBG. Theres still all the Iron Hills Dwarves as well. If they do go this route they better follow through and give us plastic elf knights on foot as well for starters.

On a speculative note, I won't be surprised if Tauriel, Legolas and the Spiders show up sometime soon. I'm basing that off the other merchandise tie ins like the action figures etc. GW wasn't the only company to get their product line juked by Peter Jackson and friends.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
These models without rules (Yazneg and Dale) make me wonder if they had bigger parts in the original 2 movies and when PJ decided to make it 3, it messed up everything and they had to change when they released things. I have a sneaky suspicion that this sourcebook which is coming out has spoilery stuff in which would have been in the movie before the change hence the delay in release.

honestly I think this is probably the correct idea here. GW probably didn't know Azog was as big a character that Bolg was, or maybe they thought Yazneg was the leader of the orcs. Definitely they got messed up.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Tezzy wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:

honestly I think this is probably the correct idea here. GW probably didn't know Azog was as big a character that Bolg was, or maybe they thought Yazneg was the leader of the orcs. Definitely they got messed up.

Not sure if this forum embeds videos, but here we go... [media=youtube]0oWJD5lFQB0[/media]

If that didn't work, search 'Making of Azog' on Youtube- you'll see that pretty uch throughout development Yazneg WAS Azog.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmm, I like the Erebor dwarves. Not good, not bad, just fine. Not too fond about the Men of Dale, their helmets look a bit large and odd. There are other things that seem odd about them but I can't exactly pinpoint what it is.

Now moving on to Thror...

I bow down to whoever sculpted him. This Thror may very well be the best, most beautiful sculpt GW has ever released, period. Everything is right about hhim, the wayhe looks, his stance, proportions. Yes I am really considering spending 15 euros for that one, because this is the kind of sculpt worthy of a through-the-roof-pricing. :) Great job GW.

Edit: I would like to add to that, I wonder who would buy the riddles in the dark boxset. 30 euros? Seriously? :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Amarthadan wrote:
I.
Edit: I would like to add to that, I wonder who would buy the riddles in the dark boxset. 30 euros? Seriously? :P

Me - but then i need help lol

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
Amarthadan wrote:
I.

Me - but then i need help lol

Apart from collectors who would like to complete the entire range I should have added. I presume those are but a very very small part of the community. (And belong in an insane asylum? :-D )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Better lock me up to i am afraid!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think Riddles in the Dark and the White Council are both priced so high because only collector-nuts will actually buy them, so they want to make as much money out of people like DMS as they posssibly can.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just wondering, did anyone else notice there being 12 shields on the Dwarfs of Erebor Sprue?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

NetrixX wrote:
Just wondering, did anyone else notice there being 12 shields on the Dwarfs of Erebor Sprue?

That's a relief! I had been planning on breaking out the clay and having a go at push-casting some for the rest of the Dwarves.

I wonder why GW wouldn't show them all in the pics??

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was thinking it might have something to do with the poses, most of the guys holding the spear with 2 hands, would seem unnatural with a shield would be my guess.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

off topic but still relevant to new releases, look at GW site, new WH Codexs are £55 all be it ltd edition!!!!!

£55.00 come on, is that a record for GW?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nah Betrayal cost me £70ish (the book for the Horus Heresy Forgeworld capaign)

Also GW confirmed that there are rules in the box for the men of the dale. Saw it on TLA
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next