All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: March Hobbit Releases
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Armandhammer wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:
they are...the 12 model box sets are rumoured to be increasing to £20 around june/ july.

Where did you hear this from? :o

Staff, forums. When you frequent them as often as I do, you hear lots of interesting things.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I still have an old magazine from 2006 that lists 24harad warriors at 25$. I wish I had bought more minis back then :(. :-X

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

River Zora wrote:
SO..... Um... Anyone here care about the new Chaos Daemons?

Read the title to this site: The One Ring. Not the Eye of Terror, not Sigmar's Hammer, The One Ring. In short, no.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
River Zora wrote:

Read the title to this site: The One Ring. Not the Eye of Terror, not Sigmar's Hammer, The One Ring. In short, no.

Gee, was just trying to change the subject and lighten the tone from bitching about prices :P besides, I also frequent the Tyranid Hive, and I spend more time chatting about LotR and Chaos than 'Nids :P
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
River Zora wrote:

Not true...Some people here will play 40K or Warhammer Fantasy also. I have Raven Guard Space Marines (though I've not played in nearly 2 years) so I am mildly interested to see new Daemon models in so far as I may one day see an opponent use them.

It is off-topic however.

SouthernDunedain wrote:
they are...the 12 model box sets are rumoured to be increasing to £20 around june/ july.

Stunts involving jet skis and sharks come to mind...

GW is irredeemable...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

River Zora wrote:
Draugluin wrote:
River Zora wrote:

Gee, was just trying to change the subject and lighten the tone from bitching about prices :P besides, I also frequent the Tyranid Hive, and I spend more time chatting about LotR and Chaos than 'Nids :P

Well, I play Orks with a few Necrons and Chaos Space Marines, and I have used my sizable force of GT Goblins as Plaguebearers a few times, so yes, I am very interested in the rules for the Daemons, but this isn't the forum to talk about them on. We do have a section of the site dedicate to $0k and WFB, but this isn't it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

There is no way the 12 model box sets are worth £20, let alone what they cost already. But then of course, this is GW. I dont think ill ever call a formal decision to stop buying from GW, but still, already theres so much that just never crosses my mind to get just because the price is already to much to justify it. But theres nothing to really do about it but hope GW will one day come to their senses and think more than just; Less sales-Raise prices :)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This pricing thing is getting to me too. LotR/Hobbit SBG is my only hobby purchase, I'm not interested in any other games or models or genres or historical periods. I make a good wage and am generally frugal in other areas of my life...in short, I can basically buy what I want.

But that doesn't mean I don't have a sense of value, and I'm not getting it anymore. Consider that it's $200 for a decent 500 point army...what parent in their right mind is going to spring for that? What teen is going to lay that out and hope a friend will do the same so they can play at all, and hope to lay out another $200 to jump to 1000 points? It's ludicrous.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:50 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
What teen is going to lay that out and hope a friend will do the same so they can play at all...

So much truth. Brings a tear to my eye.

My cousin actually caught me browsing the GW store and was intrigued by the Grim hammer dwarves... But then he asked about the prices.

I went from being the coolest kid on the block to the biggest clown in a span of 2 minutes :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Is GW's target market 40+ year old men with reasonable disposable income?

No way kids are getting into this.

Where is the future for the hobby?

I can only hope Frodo destroys the ring and ends this time of darkness.

I wrote a complaint letter of my concerns to GW a while back. No response.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have to agree with you there. I'm 16 and I just really got into this hobby 2 years ago, the prices were still reasonable then, and had only gone up about 7$ since my parents got me my first box back in 2005-2006. Since I have joined this hobby fully, I have seen the price nearly double what it used to be for half the models. 1$ a model I could do as a kid, tough but manageable. 2$ a mini as a teen sure, but now at almost 4$ a mini for new models while I'm still in my teens, it's crazy!!! My disposable income had not really changed on the past two years but prices sure have!! It's not surprising really, that I find myself playing video games more than I spend on hobby time anymore. It's just so much cheaper, I love this game but if the prices keep going up I just won't be able to buy anymore new things(despite how nice they are). I won't give up on this hobby, I'm not there...yet. But I would buy more models if prices were what they used to be 30$-40$ for 24minis I can do, but 40$ for 10..... I'm starting to lose hope...

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

rumtap wrote:
Is GW's target market 40+ year old men with reasonable disposable income?

No way kids are getting into this.

Where is the future for the hobby?

I can only hope Frodo destroys the ring and ends this time of darkness.

I wrote a complaint letter of my concerns to GW a while back. No response.

They also closed down their national Facebook page, most likely because all the negative comments and vitriol they were receiving was bad for their image.

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They closed down their page due to the negative comments which resulted from them trying to claim trade mark over the term 'space marine' and force amazon to remove anything with that phrase from sale. Needless to say they failed and gained a lot of bad publicity.

There official line when contacted was they are closing down the main GW and Twitter page to concentrate more on the individual store pages, as they believe that is where they will get most interaction, and that this had been in the pipeline for some time.

Though the Trademark issue could have made them move the timetable up and do this before a planned date, thus the little to no warning given that this was happening, although it does seem quite a large coincidence.

Trying to find the link to the article, I'll edit it in when I find it.

Edit: Here is the Link.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

40+ old men who have kids don't have a disposable income. Trust me.

They have also lived long enough to spot an obvious swindle. Age has to have some advantages.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:
I have to agree with you there. I'm 16 and I just really got into this hobby 2 years ago, the prices were still reasonable then, and had only gone up about 7$ since my parents got me my first box back in 2005-2006. Since I have joined this hobby fully, I have seen the price nearly double what it used to be for half the models. 1$ a model I could do as a kid, tough but manageable. 2$ a mini as a teen sure, but now at almost 4$ a mini for new models while I'm still in my teens, it's crazy!!! My disposable income had not really changed on the past two years but prices sure have!! It's not surprising really, that I find myself playing video games more than I spend on hobby time anymore. It's just so much cheaper, I love this game but if the prices keep going up I just won't be able to buy anymore new things(despite how nice they are). I won't give up on this hobby, I'm not there...yet. But I would buy more models if prices were what they used to be 30$-40$ for 24minis I can do, but 40$ for 10..... I'm starting to lose hope...

I agree with this completely and utterly, although I only discovered the hobby in mid october 2012.
I'd love some Rivedell knights, maybe my favourite models ever, but am going to be forced to wait at least a couple of years or when GW puts the prices up so high that people just give up the hobby for the minis to come up on ebay.
If GW copyrights stuff on eBay, we're all doomed forever...!!!!!!! :sad:

No more for me to say on this matter really ( I'm :E )

Last edited by LordElrond on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warriors of Dale up to £20 ($30.32) for 10 minis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is £2 ($3.03) Per mini!!!!!
And that's even without mentioning rivendell knights (£5 ($7.58) per mini!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
EDIT: I've dropped the smilies, but I love them, they're soooo cool.

Last edited by LordElrond on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Once a customer has bought something, it's theirs and they have the right to resell it as a used item at a later date. GW can't really stop eBay and the lot from posting their products. If they could then every company would put a stop to it and there wouldn't BE a secondary market.

Not to mention that because I can, for example, pick up a couple boxes worth of Uruk-hai cheaply, I'm more likely to get some stuff direct from GW if I can't find it used. Happened to me with crossbowmen.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

LordElrond, lose the smilies...poor laptop is having a panic attack.

And they cant copyright stuff on ebay. Not unless you are re-casting their models etc etc. But we are getting horribly off topic.

Yes GW is getting expensive but nothing we can do will change that, a boycott will probably lead them to increase the prices even higher and eventually drop the system.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The only thing to do, is to exercise your rights as a customer. If you feel the prices GW charges for a particular product are not worth what you are willing to pay, don't buy it.

And make sure GW knows it (complain or hint to staff, make your opinions known about prices etc. Consumer dissatisfaction must eventually filter up to the idiots in charge surely)

Yours options are...

a) buy it second hand or trade for it. (ebay, forums, friends...When my brother lost interest and quit the game I sold off his 24 Rohan Warriors, 6 Riders, 20 Uruk Hai, Eomer and Lurtz for £25 to a guy from my Uni's Gaming Society).

b) buy it discounted from an independant retailer (like Green Dragon).

c) convert cheaper models (Warriors of Minas Tirith) to represent expensive models (Warriors of Arnor).

d) don't get it all, and try proxying using appropriate miniatures from cheaper manufacturers (Anglo Saxons as Rohirrim; Crusader Knights as Warriors of Minas Tirith).

e) Quit the game in favour of a cheaper and perhaps better game. (I'm toying with the idea of quitting Warhammer 40K).

f) save up and prioritise purchases - restrict yourself to just one or two armies.

So far I've done (a), (c) and (d).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Option f) is easier at the moment, with really only a couple of options for either side getting releases. You've got your Dwarves or Elves for Good or your Hunter Orcs or Goblins for Evil.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next