All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:55 pm

Post subject: Guitarheroandy's WIP : 21.1.15 'Dark Sword Minis' Elf Hero
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is my WIP thread. I hope that you find it interesting seeing the models emerge!

In this tutorial, I do mix and match old and new GW paints. Sorry if this confuses, but I still have a load of old colours I still use as well as some new ones that have replaced dried up pots! All other colours are by Foundry.

Once models have been cleaned & prepped, I undercoat them with white. Any areas of ring mail armour are then re-undercoated black to enable me to dry-brush it. Below, what the models look like once this is completed.

The next job is to drybrush the mail. This is undertaken with GW Boltgun metal, followed by GWIronbreaker. This gives the mail a darker appearance which I feel is more realistic, even for Elves.

Next, I tidy up the white undercoat where the drybrushing has affected it in readiness for the next phase. This is the application of basecoat colours to the entire model. I start with the flesh which is Foundry Flesh Light. The lower lip is painted with Foundry Flesh Shade. While it may sound daft to do the lips, actually, I find they make the face more expressive than doing eyes, as eyes can look ‘staring’ (at least, they do when I paint them!)

After the flesh, I paint the under-tunic (Foundry Arctic Grey Shade) The patterning is done with Foundry Stone and Arctic Grey. After that, the cloak is painted with Foundry Night Sky Light. Next, the hair is painted. The dark hair is painted with Foundry Peaty Brown Shade with a highlight of Peaty Brown Light. The darker blond is GW Bubonic Brown highlighted with Bleached Bone. The light blond is GW Bleached Bone highlighted with White. The highlights are applied before and after washing as I find this adds depth to the hair.

Next, the armour is done with GW Ironbreaker. After that, the black parts are painted and the bow-grip is painted with GW Kommando Khaki. The pic below shows the base-coated model.

The key to this whole process is to be very neat and tidy. As you can see, even being neat and tidy, the model doesn’t look great, but you just have to move past that and apply the wash! This is done by brushing on the Army Painter Strong Tone. This is done relatively sparingly. On NO account dip the model in as Army Painter recommend!! This causes hideous overkill and pooling, especially on models as fancy as these Elves!!

Once washed, they look like this…hideously glossy!!

However, that will all change at the highlight stage. IMPORTANT: Leave a full 24 hrs between the wash and the highlight, as it takes that long to fully dry.

This next stage is where the original basecoats are used to highlight up most of the colours with just a single highlight. The exceptions are the under-tunic, which also gets a second highlight of Foundry Arctic Grey and the patterning is highlighted with White. The black is highlighted with Foundry Charcoal and Charcoal Light. The armour gets an additional highlight of GW Runefang Steel (the new Mithril silver which is perfect for Elven armour as it is so shiny and bright). The hair is re-highlighted with the lightest shades above. The cloak patterns are added at this stage. The blue pattern on rank and file is Foundry Storm Blue Light and on the Haldir model is Foundry Arctic Grey. This pattern is a lot easier to do than you’d expect. Pain the horizontal lines first. Then just add little ‘flicks’ between the lines criss-crossing over and over – keep it fairly random and you end up with what you see here…

This is what they look like now…looking better!

Next, the model needs matte laquer (the Dip is actually a gloss varnish). I use Testors Dullcote for this. In spring and summer I’d spray it on outside, but this won’t work in winter, so I brush it on. WARNING: this stuff is EXTREMELY toxic!! I do it in my office by an open window, wearing a mask and not doing any more than 6 models at a time!!

The models are nearly done now. All that remains is to re-highlight the very ends and edges of the armour with GW Runefang Steel to add a bit of ‘shine’. This is really good on Elf models as I feel they should be ‘bright and shiny’ on the armour front!!!

All that remains now is to base them. I do this by PVA-ing sand to the base. Once dry it is highlighted with Foundry Peaty Brown Shade and drybrushed with GW Bleached Bone. Then clump foliage and tufts are added. The clump foliage has flowers dotted on. On these models I have used Foundry Winestain Red Shade and Winestain Red Light, Yellow Shade and Yellow Light and Arctic Grey Shade and White. The base edge is done with GW Graveyard Earth.
The results are below…

Here is the full group in a scenic setting…

And that’s the method and colours I’ll use for my Elves.

I hope you like them and that the tutorial has been helpful. I'm always happy to answer questions and/or receive constructive criticism, so fire away!! :)

Thank you :-)

Last edited by Guitarheroandy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Guitarheroandy's WIP Elves: 25.1.13: Elf Painting Tutori
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow. They look both beautiful and deadly. I think you've really captured the serious but elegant character of elves, way better than I could ever do. Amazing job!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Stunning work Andy. And thank you for taking the time to make the tutorial that precedes the final pictures.

Kalatha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow, they look very pro with so few layers. well done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really good work.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lovely Andy, we'll save the flower jokes for your blog though I think :-D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Up close the highlighting stood out a little too much particularly the white on the sleeves, but I'm guessing its a trick of the camera because my up close shots never come out how the mini actually looks. In the group shots you can see it is spot on and they look amazing. Really like the free hand on the cloaks too, very good placement on the folds.

Looking forward to more updates!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Many thanks for the kind words. :-D

Yes, the close ups don't look that great, but if I'd wanted them to look great close up I'd have used my layered style. This is all about getting models looking good on the table and I am pleased with the way the technique does that.

I'm in the process of converting some Orcs at the moment and have just finished some Elf conversions.

I'm basically planning a mini campaign set during the rise and fall of Angmar, based around an Orc warlord and his skirmishes with the forces of an Elf Captain based either in Lindon or Rivendell (haven't fully decided!) There will be no 'named' characters from the books/films and I'm using the models I like rather than what I 'should use', so although these archers are strictly Galadhrim led by Haldir, in my campaign, they'll be High Elves led by a Captain (name yet to be decided - who may well have very similar stats to Haldir...) As you'll see as the thread progresses, most of my Elves have been converted - these ones on this first post and a batch of swordsmen are about the only 'straight as they come' models I've thus far got!! See High Elf spearman converted from a Galadhrim Court model below (resin shield from Scibor Miniatures in Poland...)

Post subject: Re: Guitarheroandy's WIP : UPDATE 10.2.13 Hill Troll
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here's my first Evil model. This is by far my favourite GW troll model. It just oozes character. I know it's meant to be a specific Troll chief, but in my campaign it'll just be an ordinary old troll...

Painted using the same technique as my Elves and the deep detailing really helped, as you can see. I also copied the GW colour scheme for once, as I really like the combination of browns they used.

Am in the middle of a bunch of Orcs at the moment. They are proving harder to paint using the dip and highlight technique as they are the GW plastics with some pretty shallow detail. Still, I hope to have a few complete by next weekend so you can see how they turn out...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Interesting to watch is a very inaccurate comment to make about your work.
I think the Elves are amazing. It's funny how when I see excellent painted miniatures I grow fond of them, albeit I had no previous fondness of them. You my mate, have made me love the Galadrim, and your Buhrdur just reminds me that I should buy one. :yay: :yay:

Bravo, I am eagerly looking forward for your next miniatures.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Awesome!!!!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Your painting does these beautiful miniatures justice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

These look excellent! Really nice.

I've done entire armies using the Army Painter dip. Would you mind if I offer a tip or two? Firstly, after you apply the dip and let it dry 24 hours, it helps A LOT if you give it a light dusting of dullcote (or some other matte varnish) before you apply any highlights. This gives the highlight paint something to grip onto and makes painting much easier.

Secondly, the Army Painter Strong Tone is quite warm and brown in tone. It works wonderfully for browns, reds, oranges, golds, yellows, and even whites, but it can make blue and purple and silver colours look a bit dirty.

To overcome this for your Elves, you could either use the Army Painter Dark Tone instead (it's a black tone instead of brown - works really nicely with blue/silver), or you could add some black ink to each batch of Strong Tone as you apply it.

Or not! After all, these models do look fantastic as is, especially the Hill Troll. Looking forward to seeing more!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is beyond brilliant.

Can't wait to see what comes next!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great work Andy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Amazing elves, amazing troll :yay:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:35 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Plenty of brilliant work here, leep it up 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

tomogui wrote:
These look excellent! Really nice.

I've done entire armies using the Army Painter dip. Would you mind if I offer a tip or two? Firstly, after you apply the dip and let it dry 24 hours, it helps A LOT if you give it a light dusting of dullcote (or some other matte varnish) before you apply any highlights. This gives the highlight paint something to grip onto and makes painting much easier.

Secondly, the Army Painter Strong Tone is quite warm and brown in tone. It works wonderfully for browns, reds, oranges, golds, yellows, and even whites, but it can make blue and purple and silver colours look a bit dirty.

To overcome this for your Elves, you could either use the Army Painter Dark Tone instead (it's a black tone instead of brown - works really nicely with blue/silver), or you could add some black ink to each batch of Strong Tone as you apply it.

Or not! After all, these models do look fantastic as is, especially the Hill Troll. Looking forward to seeing more!

You know what? I did actually consider using the darker tone on the Elves. The reasons I didn't use it were mainly because I was concerned that the darker tone would render them too 'cold' and that it wouldn't work well on their faces and hair. Also, I didn't want to spend £20 on a tin of the stuff only to find it didn't work :)
In the event, I actually like the way the strong tone 'warms up' the silver and blue.

Interestingly, many painters do exactly what you have suggested regarding the Dullcote prior to highlighting. So far I have had no issues with the highlights not taking to the glossy paint. If I do, though, I'll try your tip. :)

To everyone else, many thanks for your kind words. It's really nice to have one's work appreciated, especially on a forum where so many great painters post their work :D

First Orcs coming soon, plus a pic of my converted Dark Sword Miniatures Elf hero, who may be in the next batch of Elves I paint after the current Orcs...

Post subject: Re: Guitarheroandy's WIP : UPDATE 2.3.13 Orcs!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here are the first Orcs for the evil army. Many are converted to have spears and shields; The shields are from Gripping Beast and the steel spears are from Perry's Samurai range. Why have I done this...well, it's like this:

When I do game with these using LOTR/Hobbit rules, it'll be small-scale friendly games with a regular gaming buddy and set in my own ongoing campaign, so this force will never see the light of day in any organised LOTR way...so I can do what I want, really!! :-D

Also, I am doing a Middle Earth adaptation of a set of Dark Age rules called Dux Britanniarum and for that you need some 'elite' Orcs. I wanted these to have spears and shields. As almost all my Orcs are from EBAY, I decided conversion was better than buying Morannons.

Anyway, these are my 'elite' Orcs. They get a banner and regularly painted shields matching the banner...very nice!! They are painted using my usual technique. I deliberately kept them dark to contrast with the Elves. The last couple of pics show them next to the Elves to demonstrate that contrast. (BTW, the Eagle in these latter pics is from my old WFB army - despite being layered/drybrushed about 15 years ago, he fits in rather well...he has been given a new base, but aside from that, he's how he was originally done...)

Enjoy!!

Andy