All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:26 am

Post subject: Azog's Terrain Journey - WIP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well I thought it was about time that I told the story of my journey in terrain making (initially as a retrospective) but hopefully a way to kick-start my way back into doing things again.

I will use this thread to post my efforts over the years in roughly chronological order if I can remember it.

It all started in about 2004 when my 14 and 11 year old sons got a set of minis for Christmas. (Two Towers set I think) As a result dad was drafted in to painting up their figures and making some terrain. As a result I discovered the One Ring and the rest as they say "is History". I've been here off and on ever since.

My first piece of terrain I called "The Crag"

Sorry there were no WIP pictures for this one

It was made from two layers of standard polystyrene on a hardboard baseboard and using reindeer moss for the bushes. I hadn't discovered using real moss for bushes at this stage.

Looking back at it now I had started to get the hang of dry-brushing and it doesn't look too bad as a first effort for a 44 year old who had never done anything like this before in his life.

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
 Post subject: Re: Azog's Terrain Journey - WIP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That is quite good for your first ever piece of terrain! I look forward to the rest of this journey. 8)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Impressive :yay: I would love to have that as part of my terrain arsenal. Can't wait to see what other terrain pieces you've got in store on this journey :)

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Looks good, how about putting a figure on it to get an idea of size?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Here you go :-)

I think I would use real moss now for the bushes instead of reindeer moss as it would look more natural. The dry-brushing looks a bit simple but I wanted to give a limestone effect. I make some limestone terrain later on that I will post up eventually that reminded me ever so much of Rohan.

I'm not sure if the terrain they filmed for Rohan in New Zealand was limestone but it had the look of it to me.

Azog

Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cor I like that!
And this is your first terrain you say? wow!
One thing I think might make it look better would be to perhaps add a few patches of static grass to the browny rock?

Very cool though... looking forward to more!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I was trying to give a soil layer look over the grey limestone outcrop. Perhaps suggesting a place where horses might be tied or men camp up for a while. I don't think i has much subtly with static grass then, it was more a case of coat in PVA and sprinkle it on to the baseboard.

Next ... on to Osgiliath.

Azog

Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I agree Sid. Great work for our first terrain piec but a little something on the brown rock would do the trick, maybe some loose talus or similar. Look at Celevue WIP in particular his watcher in the water board which has some fantastic work in it..

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

My Osgiliath scenery as one of my few forays into buildings. They were a bit basic with none of the technique that others on the One Ring employ. Again these must have been made about 2004 /2005 I think. They were all made with normal polystyrene sheet (not foamcard or anything like that).

I used a combination of polystyrene sheet 15mm thick and a couple of pieces of interestingly shaped pieces of polystyrene packing that I'd put on one side because they might come in useful for modelling. These two interesting shapes had natural curves so it struck me that I could incorporate arches into them following these curves. By using a standing miniature I drew realistic sized arches on these pieces. The arches were then cut out using a craft knife. One of the arch pieces I decided to base simply but the other piece I expanded into a larger ruin by including an internal wall. I used some thinner polystyrene for this.

For my final piece I decided to go to town and incorporate a ruined internal stairway. A useful tip I'd picked up was to use cocktail sticks as reinforcing bars when gluing polystyrene sheet together, so in this complex piece, I used quite a few to hold it all together whilst the PVA glue was setting. I followed the internal wall as it turned the corner with the stairway.

Once the bases were ready, the ruins were glued to their bases with PVA glue. This was an easy task for the simpler designs but the more complex ones needed additional support provided by using cocktail sticks as mentioned earlier to join individual pieces together.

I found that by using this method I could assemble the whole stairs assembly in one gluing instead of slowly putting it together. This allowed me to get it looking right as a whole piece before the glue set.

Additional smaller blocks of polystyrene were glued onto the bigger boards to make pieces of fallen masonry. One shaped piece was laid near to an archway to suggest it had collapsed from the nearby arch. The ROTR plastic pillar was glued on too. Smaller ornamental stones and GW modelling gravel was scattered at the base of walls, in corners and in association with larger rubble to give a nice mix of sizes. I also had an idea of pushing some splintered lollypop sticks into one of the pieces to suggest some old rotten floorboards!

Once all the stonework was glued down with PVA it was left to dry overnight. The next day all the pieces were given a coat of textured paint, laying it on fairly thick on the walls and thinner elsewhere. This was then left overnight to fully dry. It's worth noting that the textured paint makes the polystyrene quite robust and helps to disguise the big cells of polystyrene quite nicely. (I've also used a mixture of find sand and PVA - this can sometimes work out cheaper than the textured paint).

The painting of these models was fairly easy. Firstly, all the bases were painted with Scorched Brown and the walls and stonework with Chaos Black.They were then left to dry overnight.

The fun then started by dry brushing everything with Codex Grey. Once this was dry it left a base that looked subtly different to the walls since one was grey over brown whilst the other was grey over black. The lines that suggested the separate blocks of stone that had been so carefully cut into the walls earlier still looked black. The pieces of lollypop stick were painted Scorched Brown and then dry brushed with a very light coating of Codex Grey to make then look rotten and decayed.

It was then a simple matter of adding a little Skull White to the Codex Grey and continuing to dry brush progressively lighter shades until I was satisfied with the result. The final dry brush was pure Skull White on some of the edges of the walls and stones. I found out that it was worth doing all the pieces together in one session to match them all together and give a unified look.

One of my lads suggested that it would be good to have some moss or algae growing on some of the walls. This was achieved by simply adding a smear of Dark Angel Green to certain places. I was careful not to overdo this. Sometimes less is definitely more!

The final touch was to add a few pieces of reindeer moss to four of the seven pieces to suggest that despite all the anger or Mordor, nature was still trying to take hold. ( I think now I would use real moss instead of reindeer moss as it often seems the wrong sort of scale).

Azog

Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

P.S. If anybody wants to see an article I used to host on my old website (It's not on the One Ring) then take a look here.

http://www.azog.co.uk/oldazog/ORImages/osgiliath.htm

Azog

Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:39 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nicely put together Azog and a couple of tips I may well pinch when I come to building some terrain.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well now I will commit sacrilege and post a proper WIP of some 40K ruins I made for the son of some friends of ours who was mad on 40K. Unlike the Osgiliath ruins I had found some foam card by then, so i was able to make something a bit more like the right dimensions.

I must admit I was quite pleased with the finished result.

The WIP shows a couple of techniques of mine.

The chamfered hardboard that would be PVA's both sides to stop any chance of warping.

Checking for clearance with bases

Use of a fine sand / PVA slurry to coat things. I did use bit of textured paint on the walls as this is a more subtle effect.

Adding some pipework with some thin round wood

I must admit I was quite pleased with the finished result.

I added a bit or barbed wire and used basic dry brushing to slowly highlight it up until i was happy.

I was quite pleased with the rusty pipework effect and the scarred walls.

I made a couple of extra craters too - the three pieces were an extra towards his birthday and he was well pleased with them ;-)

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war ... lol

Azog

Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very well done :yay: Those craters look great 8)

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Right here is some limestone terrain I did for Rohan battles. I'm not sure of the geology of Middle Earth but it looked like limestone terrain to me when there were rocky outcrops.

You may spot an early grape stem tree growing out between the split rock and I really wanted to do a limestone pavement.

By now I was actively using actual moss as bushes - there is nothing like using nature to do nature. Years later it hasn't degraded and looks fine. The key is drying it out thoroughly and possibly sealing with dilute PVA if required. I've also over-painted it if required.

Limestone Terrain #1

Limestone Terrain # 2

Limestone Pavement

Limestone Pavement close up

Limestone and tree

Azog

Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nice, I have enjoyed looking at the photos very much 8)
I often add more flocking to the lichen. It looks more like the bushes have leaves. I often use real moss too!
More photos please.