All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:27 pm

Post subject: something disturbing...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Something came on letter about this;

"GAMES WORKSHOP, KINGS LYNN wrote:

Within the next few months you will notice a few changes to your local Games Workshop. The first of these will be arriving in the next couple of weeks.

The most important of these changes is that we will be bringing to a close our open gaming. This is great news as it inevitably means that you local store will be hosting fantastic new activites and events designed to give you a whole host of new hobby challenges and our trained staff will be on hand to support you and make sure that you get the most out of this awesome new programme.

I am sure that many of you will have already noticed a huge surge of GCN clubs we have recently been helping promote and start. We have done this to ensure that all your current hobby activites are continued to be supported in appropriate locations available to all.

Finally I wish to allay any fears or rumours some of you may have or have heard. Namely that Games Workshop is "getting rid of its regulars". Please do not be concerned as this is not the case. GW intends to support ALL of their collectors be they new or old, and the coming changes are entirely geared towards us being able to do this for now until forever - YOU ARE CATEGORICALLY NOT BEING TOLD TO LEAVE.

I know that some of you may have questions after reading this, please do not post them below - instead please talk to a member of staff.

Hopefully you trusted me in Kings Lynn, and I ask you trust me now, this will be a great an wonderful journey for the store (there is going to be some seriously cool stuff coming) and as ever we have all your best interests at heart.

Thank You"

So according to what I read, means now no more gonig to GW store to play? only during events?
 Post subject: Re: something disturbing...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

FFS...I was considering spending a few days at my local GW for some gaming next week before I leave Gateshead and move back home. I guess thats now no longer possible...

I havn't gotten any of the Hobbit releases, not even the rulebook, so does that mean I won't be allowed to take part in events?

Just when you think GW can't sinkl any lower, they surprise you...

EDIT: wait, is this a national policy or just the policy of the King's Lynn GW?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:21 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

it seems to be a national thing but some managers are choosing to still allow gaming. This is old news, they started implementing it couple of months back. All 1 man stores are to focus on beginners and intro games rather than vets.

I think it is a case of going to your local and see what is going on, I know this 'motion' also includes stopping painting instore (unless you're a beginner).

Dont really see the point because in my view, a busy shop indicates a good one therefore more likely to step inside and see what they offer.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jeez, where the heck am I supposed to find LOTR opponents? Its rarely played at my local gaming club, and it was hard enough to find them in GW stores (only handfuls of regulars, who were never there on the same days as me).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I found a lot of my opponents on here. And ask around at the GC, there are usually a few people who collect but are in the same boat as you.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Just another straw on the camal's back. Wouldn't be so bad if they were actually supporting GCN's but they aren't, they are just allowing them to exist and thats about it.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't go into my "local" GW to play often, but I have before and it's been good fun. This seems like yet another incident of GW shooting themselves in the foot, as each time I've played in GW I notice something I'm lacking in my army, and end up spending more money there than I intended. If this becomes policy all over, they will lose even more customers. Plus, as others have already said, a busy shop attracts more customers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

greendragon wrote:
Just another straw on the camal's back. Wouldn't be so bad if they were actually supporting GCN's but they aren't, they are just allowing them to exist and thats about it.

Actually Bek Hawkby is GW's community support person and put in a lot of hard work helping me with my GCN club, and sent me free posters to help advertise in the local GW etc. I know she is the one who organises the whole school league and is the go to person for school and library clubs. Just a case of knowing who to go to, the local stores won't tend to do a lot (as most of it is paperwork and prob not really their thing.) but the GW community resources section of the website was actually surprisingly informative.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
I stand corrected, fair enough! I based my comments on my nearest gaming club setting up, heading into a local GW and being turned around because of various reasons which seemed far too silly to be true. It was a case of "can't be bothered" from certain staff perhaps.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As far as I know, there's still gamin at gw Watford, unless it will start in the next few days / weeks (my holiday) :(
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

As recently as yesterday, the local store I go to had open gaming. I sat and painted for hours.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It may not be entirely bad. If GW does focus more on fun events for the community instead of open gaming they are bound to have some SBG and WoTR events.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I can see the practical concerns where there is just a one-person store (but I believe that was a false economy - short term cost reduction cutting down on staff, long term negative impact on sales and repeat sales both in store and online developed due to the lack of introduction to GW games).

I look at this in one of the same ways I judge cafes and restaurants when I am abroad: I look for places that are busy with locals who have obviously identified this as a good place to eat. So given a line of games stores, I would wander along and head into the one with the most going on in there to find out what was the big attraction.

it is good to see some local initiative being taken by site managers but that might get them in a spot of bother with the edict-issuing rear echelons :(

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I remember when I started 9 years ago, walking into my local Gw (Rouen at the time) for the first time ever and there was actually a crowd so dense people had to take it turns to have look at the battle unfolding.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Happened at Cambridge not long ago. It's a whole-company initiative.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Speaking to one of my local GW managers and he assures me it's not a company wide thing at all.
It's purely dependant on the store and manager and what they choose to do. If a manager can have gaming / painting going on without it stopping him/her from doing their job, and it serves a purpose for the business then it's fine.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lorizael wrote:
Speaking to one of my local GW managers and he assures me it's not a company wide thing at all.
It's purely dependant on the store and manager and what they choose to do. If a manager can have gaming / painting going on without it stopping him/her from doing their job, and it serves a purpose for the business then it's fine.

Yay! :D :-D :rofl:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You say that, but one of the assistant managers went up for the job of manager, but GW didn't give it to him because he refused to implement the beginners-only intitiatives. Instead they gave it to someone else who would. It may be up to the individual managers, but I don't think that choice is entirely a realistic one...
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So GW discourage gaming in-store just as they remove the Battle Mat - perfect for gaming at home or in clubs - from their listings.

Do they actually talk to each other in Nottingham or is GW a series of small groups all doing their own thing? My experience of GW stores is that the managers very rarely deviate from the company line. Those that do are no longer store managers...
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:40 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Battlemat's gone?!?!

*SWEARS*

Why on earth wold they do that? Oh, of course, because it's a cheap alternative to buying the £175 ROB board. Of course now everyone who was going to buy a Battlemat will run out and get the ROB...

:-X

The Battlemat was an absolutely great product that allowed those with no space to have a quick and easy battlefield in seconds, it didn't need painting, didn't need flocking and took up very little space. The ROB doesn't replace it in the slightest.

I've got a Battlemat at my parents house that gets rolled out every few months when old friends come over to visit, it's one of those products that genuinely makes me think "Well done GW, you've nailed it with this one"

Best discontinue it then

:roll:

I suppose on the plus side there are other companies making similar products but you have to wonder just who is making these decisions, they just baffle me sometimes.

*SWEARS AGAIN*

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569