All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:26 pm

Post subject: Boston Bombing Attacks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey One-ringers.

My heart goes out to all those who were affected by the Boston Bombings. Just watching the footage in Australian now, all my prayers go out to the families of those who sadly passed away or are injured.

Stay strong, :frodo:

Post subject: Re: Boston Bombing Attacks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It was a real tragedy, and targeting a marathon, somewhere with no political agenda in which innocent, healthy people achieve great feats to make their friends and family proud, is low even for a bomber.

However, when you think about how many people were tightly knit around the explosion, it is a lucky escape only two people have died (so far). You could even claim that the bombings were almost a failure when you think about how powerful explosives actually are, and how few people he/she behind the bomb plot actually managed to kill. I hope that the sicko who chose to target the supportive friends and family of aspiring athletes is punished with a maximum sentence.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
You could even claim that the bombings were almost a failure...

Well that didnt sit well with me. 3 people have died so far and dozens have been put into the hospital care. People have had legs and arms amputated. To say the bombings were a failure is, in my mind, a little disrespectful. 3 too many people died and on a day like this. I know you mean well, and it's hard to understand exactly what you mean via text. I hope whoever did this is punished severly. In my mind it should be eye for an eye, and i wouldn't be surprised if they caught him if he got more than one life sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:19 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would not be surprised if the count goes up over the next 24 hours. There are a lot of "injured" who are listed as critical right now.

I would also point out the reports of removing ball bearings from the victims. These were not bombs designed to kill specifically. The use of shrapnel like this in bombs is typically designed to cause maximum damage to flesh. Not necessarily kill, but maime, cripple, and wound as horrific a manner as possible.

I really hope it is a quick process to find the ones responsible on this, and my thoughts and prayers to all impacted.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

nicely said.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really Frodo I meant no disrespect. I'm not one of those people who go on about how "thousands of people die in other countries every day and no one cares", just for the sake of being edgy.

I was just trying to say that I imagine whoever planned it thought he'd kill way more than 2 people with the initial blast, and that it's good so many people have (so far) escaped with their lives.

Also, is the death sentence around in Boston? (I know very little about American law etc).
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No offence taken by me mate, as i said
I am Frodo wrote:
I know you mean well, and it's hard to understand exactly what you mean via text.
I'm just saying people could take it a little bit disrespectful. But staying on-topic we should all give our prayers to those affected. News today say that 3 have died, 17 in critical condition and 141 in care, some of these have had limbs amputated. That is 141 families and countless friends and others that need out prayers and support

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't think the aim of these attacks is necessarily to kill the maximum number of people, rather its the psychological effect of the carnage caused. 2 or 3 deaths, with a small number of injured, has much less impact than no deaths but hundreds of injured people.

Considering the eyewitness reports of many people losing limbs, and amputations being carried out, it seems like a very successful terrorist attack to me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57579736/authorities-question-saudi-national-in-boston-attack/
http://www.jihadwatch.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/br0nc0s/managed-mt/mt-srch.cgi?search=boston&IncludeBlogs=1&limit=20

Apparently a Saudi national who was arrested fleeing the scene with a burn injury is being questioned by authorities. A second "man in black" is also being sought by authorities. Can't say I'm surprised - indiscriminate targeting of civilians is a hallmark of Islamic terrorism...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2309545/Boston-Marathon-bombings-death-toll-Martin-Richard-8-named-1-3-victims-144-injured.html

Meanwhile, the youngest victim killed has been named as 8 year old Martin Richard.

Pure evil.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2013/04/saudi-man-ruled-out-as-suspect-in-boston-terror-bombings.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/injured-saudi-is-a-witness-not-a-suspect-in-boston-bombing/2013/04/16/791de708-a6ad-11e2-b029-8fb7e977ef71_story.html

The Saudi national has apparently been ruled out as a suspect and is now believed to be a victim.