All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:19 am

Post subject: Goodbye from Green Dragon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Folks, as the title says.

This is quite hard to write, I am a little choked up about it but I feel that its time to step away from the hobby. I have reposted below this personal message, the letter that myself and Emma have written and posted on the front page of the Green Dragon website regarding why we have been forced to close our doors. The painting service will continue under Emma's direction but all of this has just hit me a little hard. I will be stepping away from the hobby as a whole, Games Workshop have, unfortunatly, ruined it for me. I won't ramble on but I'm sure others on this forum can give at least 10 of the reasons why without me needing to say anything.

Thank you ALL for being so accomodating and friendly for my time on here. I hope one day in a good many years that things will be different and I will return to the hobby. I'm sure I will be painting the odd few models to help Emma and her team of painters out but at the moment that is as far as it goes. I've made a few good friends on here and I will try to stay in touch. If anybody would like to keep in contact facebook me "steve mingo". I will now slink off to my personal life and what joys it brings. As it happens, I have just begun a career with Devon and Cornwall Police so there is always an upside when something goes wrong. Thank you all so much once again and I leave you with the message from our website.

GREEN DRAGON GAMES CLOSING DOWN
(New Games Workshop Trade Policies - Does NOT Affect Green Dragon Painting)

Dear All,
This is a sad time for us and our fellow wargamers. Due to new Games Workshop trade policies, introduced just this week (Monday 16th June 2013), we will no longer be able to trade. The trade policies are designed to encourage a more community focus to the hobby, we have tried to argue our case in that we have strong links to a number of local wargaming clubs, events and exhibitions not to mention the amazing close-knit community over at one-ring.co.uk but this was to no avail.

We have been given a 5 month ultimatum. If we do not open a bricks and mortar store, we can longer sell Games Workshop products. Opening a store WAS in our 5 year business plan and we were quite close to achieving that, however it is not financially viable in this current economy to achieve this on such a short notice, and therefore Green Dragon Games must close.

We are incredibly grateful for all the business we have been given over our time in trading and we extend a virtual handshake to all of our customers. We have always strived to give excellent service and have been rewarded with exceptional customers. Thank you.

Our remaining stock will still be available for a short while, at a reduced price. In addition we have reduced the free U.K shipping over £40 down to £10. Trading will continue for a while in that respect, however, due to continued disappointment with the supplier we have chosen not to trade for the remaining 5 months.

Please do take advantage of the sale and bag some one-off bargains, we truely appreciate your custom. Please do as well, if you haven't already, take a look at our painting service page. This aspect of the business will continue trading and will soon have a brand new website located at greendragonpainting.co.uk with slots for more projects over the coming months. Our standards here, like on GDG are exceptional. Our head painter will ensure that all projects are painted to her own high standards and we welcome any queries whether it be G.W projects, historical or otherwise.

Thank you all for your continued support. Over the next few days the site will be changing and the sale will begin. Get your items while you can! Any questions or well-wishing messages can be directed to info@greendragongames.co.uk

Our gratitude, always,

STEVE MINGO & EMMA HAMMOND
GREEN DRAGON GAMES

- Model Painting Service also available.
 Post subject: Re: Goodbye from Green Dragon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:24 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Good luck with the future. I know GW rolled out this 'bricks & mortar store' policy plus cross-border shipping restrictions outside the EU about 18 months ago and that caused some very well known sellers to close down in other countries (miniwargaming comes to mind immediately but there were others).

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A real shame about this but I hope you find enjoyment in your new career and maybe come back to the hobby in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I spent 28 years as an intercity Police officer. I wish you luck in The Police Service. I was sorry to here about the decision to close. I am sad to say you made the right choice for now. It is not wise to have all of your eggs in one basket. I would not want to have any of my eggs mixed in with GW's basket. They have proved they will take the basket and run.
Save your money, reduce your inventory and come back with a business plan that does not depend on or even included Games Workshop. It will take time. I am looking forward to your success.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's lousy. Very sorry this has happened to you. I had every intention of buying from green dragon, cant see myself buying many new releases now. I think they have made a fatal error. Best of luck for the future

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sad news, all the best for the future Steve and Emma, thanks for all your brilliant service in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am always sorry to hear bad news! I wish you every success in the Police force.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GW are simply hammering themselves in the face, now they'll get less money because things will be so crazily expensive :roll:

Very very sorry to see you go Steve I only had the time to ever place one order with you but it was the best, friendliest shopping experience I've ever had, thank you. Best of luck with the police force job 8)

I never got to use my easter code =/

Is there any sale reduction on Glorfy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very sad news, all my latest hobbit miniatures came from ur site...
u will be very missed and the best of luck for the future
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
SidTheSloth wrote:

I never got to use my easter code =/

Is there any sale reduction on Glorfy?

Thanks Sid, sorry about the code!!!

Glorfindel is part of the sale, and will be just £6.30. All you need to do for the reduction is type "goodbyedragon" into the discount code box at the checkout for the 10% extra off.

http://www.greendragongames.co.uk/closi ... indel.html

---
Thanks everyone for your kind messages. It's such a shame GW have gone in this direction, and forced us out. Sorry for any disappointment in those who were going to order in the future :( We would have loved your custom.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally I have not bought anything from GW for nearly three months which has not happened since I started by Citadel Miniatures at the age of 11. I am now 34. I feel that the miniatures have just got too costly. I had intended to purchase through GD due to the discount which would have really paid off over time. Sorry to see you finish.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

This is sad news indeed although I personally am not affected. While the discounts offered on larger products (case, EfGT etc) were quite attractive, the smaller items (hunter orcs etc) were always close to retail. By the time shipping was added on top, it was the same price as GW. I would have liked to have ordered more but it was easier to get it in store. Most of my purchases are impulse buys now which only occurs when I'm in GW looking at their stuff.

Note: this isn't a moan or rant. Just a opinion and reasoning behind it, got nothing against Steve and emma.

Wish you both the best of luck in the future.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sorry to hear of this. I haven't been keeping up on current events but it sounds like GW is shooting themselves (and everyone else) in the foot.

You can still enjoy the hobby with the models you have, but I understand if it's too painful to look at GW products after what has happened.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:27 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

So long Steve. I'm a bit bemused as to why you opted for Police over Fire, but wish you all the best anyhow ;) Thanks for giving us the option of cheaper products for the short time that you did. My only regret is not having utilised it more than I did.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey Steve I sent you a text, independently of the hobby, You're most welcome to pop round, have a chat, beer any-time.
And say hullo to Emma from me :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Very sad to hear you news but good luck with your new adventure :-)

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was going to buy a last batch of metals from GW this summer and even consider a few Hobbit models, but now that I've seen this topic it reminds me of how the almighty GW just stomps on the little guy and how much they're control freaks. Now I'm absolutely done with them where concerning their regular retail sales. Even though I'm not a customer of yours Green Dragon or of Miniwargaming, I had a few local indies that went belly up and it's no surprise why. So I feel for you.

How they treat the indy stores and the net stores reflects how they treat their customer base. I had it with these douchebags, I'm sticking to my already overwhelming backlog, don't need anymore of this.