All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:23 am

Post subject: The next Hobbit Starter Set.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hello everyone, there have been far too many depressing posts in the last few weeks so to take a break I'm going to ask you what you think the next starter set will contain. I'm personally hoping something to do with the wood elves and possible spiders or something dol guldor related. Also maybe the rules contain any new info or will it be most likely a different cover only?

what to you guys/girls think? :)
 Post subject: Re: The next Hobbit Starter Set.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:44 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Strategy Battle Game.

Or

TH:TDoSSBG :?

We will see another rulebook and starter set, I am sure of it. Elves V Spiders & Orcs seems the most logical. All I do know is that I'll pick it up regardless.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aye, I too think some kind of encounter between elves and orcs, perhaps containing Legolas and Azog too...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm hoping for the company in barrels. If not then spiders would be good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm hoping for spiders. Don't own any but I want some. Hopefully this time in a decent pose

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If legolas is in I might pick it up first day, usually in the starter sets there is a big mini eg, cave troll, goblin king, so maybe a spider queen or even beorn in bear form would be good. I don't think they would want to reuse any previous models released so I reckon no hunter orcs or goblins or even company this time around.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm thinking there won't even be a new starter set... I mean Why should they after the kept The Mines Of Moria for so many years...? :sad:

BUT

We were going to talk possitive :D because I totaly agree that a lot of people are all being negative :-X about GW.

I really hope to see something about Dol goldur or dwarves with elves... mayhaps beorn? :puppy:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lorindol wrote:
I'm thinking there won't even be a new starter set... I mean Why should they after the kept The Mines Of Moria for so many years...? :sad:

BUT

We were going to talk possitive :D because I totaly agree that a lot of people are all being negative :-X about GW.

I really hope to see something about Dol goldur or dwarves with elves... mayhaps beorn? :puppy:

The only reason I believe they might release a new starter, or in my mind more likely just a 'large-box' set is because they did with each of the three original movies. I don't believe that any further sets though will change the core-rules.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Gene Parmesan wrote:
I'm hoping for the company in barrels. If not then spiders would be good.

I would like to see spiders and the company in barrels too. I am afraid they will be fine cast.

I don't think there will be a new starter set. These things take a long time to plan. When PJ decided to make 3 movies, GW had already implemented the production and development as if there were only to be 2 films. Remember the spiders and elves and barrels should have been in film 1. I think Starter set 2 will be the Battle of 5 Armies. They will hold that to August with the release of Film 3.
I hope that we will see spiders and elves and barrels in some kind of Journey book they planed to release with film 1 but decided to hold until film 2.
I could be wrong. I don't think so.
The 8" action figures for film 1 included elves. The Lego sets included elves and Barrels. I am sure GW planned a Mirkwood supplement product When GW decided to make the Goblin Town starter set. We won't see it until December.

Wow! there were two new post while I was typing this.

Last edited by Oldman Willow on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Lorindol wrote:

BUT

I really hope to see something about Dol goldur or dwarves with elves... mayhaps beorn? :puppy:[/quote

Beorn would be nice too.
The Mines of Moria was a very good starter set. I think they should have kept it in production and used it as a discount promotion at Christmas forever. Like Operation or Mouse Trap games, the development and production cost were paid.

Last edited by Oldman Willow on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
The only reason I believe they might release a new starter, or in my mind more likely just a 'large-box' set is because they did with each of the three original movies. I don't believe that any further sets though will change the core-rules.

You are correct. However, they Planed for 3 movies not two.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Click to: Show
stop! you may not want to know what is coming
SPOILER ALERT
Each of the LotR films had a related started box. But for reasons that we may speculate upon from now until the Sun goes out, just because forces were in one of the films did not mean we saw them facing off against their usual opponents. Let's remind ourselves:
FotR: Numenorean (2nd Age Gondor) & High Elves versus Moria Goblins.
TTT: Uruk-hai versus Riders of Rohan.
RotK: Mordor Orcs versus Warriors of Minas Tirith, some plastic scenery.
So at least the second and third box featured forces that actually fought one another in the film (and book). The first one - I get the sense that it was a bit of a bodge, as the 2nd Age was relegated to a brief segment at the start, and the next major engagement was with the Moria goblins. Neither GW nor New Line wanted the uruks to feature too prominently in the first cycle of the game as they were destined for centre stage in year 2.
Now, to The Hobbit:
AUJ: Misty Mountain Goblins versus Gandalf, Thorin & Company
TDOS:this could go a number of ways, depending on what the game plan is for the final set or associated releases in either year.
What forces are in the film - Thorin & Company again, Mirkwood Elves in light armour, giant spiders, Hunter Orcs, Men of Esgaroth (basically Dale on Water) and we know Gandalf enters Dol Guldur. Whether the Necromancer thread of the tale is resolved in film 2 is uncertain but I suspect not - I think that is reserved for the start of film 3. So my guess for the forces in the box? Mirkwood Elves versus a mixed force of plastic spiders and feral orcs that may be associated with Dol Guldur
On a side note, I reckon Smaug gets his comeuppance as the climax of this film.
TABA:This is where it all gets a bit complicated :D
The Battle of the Five Armies sees Goblins/Orcs/Wargs/Bats versus Mirkwood Elves (presumably in the heavier armour seen at the start of AUJ), Iron Hills dwarves (led ironically by The Big Yin), and Men of Esgaroth.
So my guess here is either the heavily armoured Elves or the even heavier armoured dwarves versus Gundabad Orcs. I am speculating that these my be bigger than most orcs though not giants like Azog, but still, they will be formidable opponents.

I'll stop now - I have bored you all enough with my positive thinking... :P

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oldman Willow wrote:

I don't think there will be a new starter set. These things take a long time to plan. When PJ decided to make 3 movies, GW had already implemented the production and development as if there were only to be 2 films. Remember the spiders and elves and barrels should have been in film 1. I think Starter set 2 will be the Battle of 5 Armies. They will hold that to August with the release of Film 3.
I hope that we will see spiders and elves and barrels in some kind of Journey book they planed to release with film 1 but decided to hold until film 2.
I could be wrong. I don't think so.

I'm afraid you're right. But again this is ill thinking.. let's keep our hopes up you guys!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

JamesR wrote:
I'm hoping for spiders. Don't own any but I want some. Hopefully this time in a decent pose

You should check out Ebob miniatures. Pretty narly spiders he crafted. I missed it the first time around, but the three pack is actually three different spiders, not three of the same.

http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/fantasy.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
But again this is ill thinking

Our definitions may be diffrent :roll:
A lot of people are up set/disappointed or even angry when expectations are not met. More so with unrealistic expectations.
I hope I am wrong 8)

JR the Girls have more than 200 toy/Halloween spiders. Some of them are nicer than GW spiders. Many cost only Pennies. Ebod is cool 8) check out Reaper Bones

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Like most people I am hoping for Wood Elfs and Orcs, some new scenery would be nice.
One thing fir sure, I can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:

You are correct. However, they Planed for 3 movies not two.
I'm sure the unexpected 3rd installment wouldn't completely destroy their business plan, more like a reshuffle. Any ways as the title suggests, desolation of Smaug will feature the desolation of Smaug. I would expect battle of the five armies to be the theme of the 3rd box set. Also the necromancer seems to be a major part of film two so perhaps we might see him as the next boxed villain. I really hope to see the armoured elves seen in the prologue of an unexpected journey.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I really want unarmoured wood elves, as I've kept away from the old ones because the sculpts were just awful!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thranduil, Legolas, and the Lady Elf vs Azog and Hunter orcs is what my money is on.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

LordElrond wrote:
I really want unarmoured wood elves, as I've kept away from the old ones because the sculpts were just awful!

I agree, still had to buy them all the same :roll: