All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:29 pm

Post subject: Re: The next Hobbit Starter Set.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

BillFerny333 wrote:
JamesR wrote:
I'm hoping for spiders. Don't own any but I want some. Hopefully this time in a decent pose

You should check out Ebob miniatures. Pretty narly spiders he crafted. I missed it the first time around, but the three pack is actually three different spiders, not three of the same.

http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/fantasy.htm

Actually, the 3 are exactly the same, I bought them years ago and they were.
The metal is very easy to bend, though, and therefore you can make as many different spiders as needed! The models are amazing and great value for their money.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I also recently, about 6 months back, bought the three spiders and they are definitely different poses.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

IsleStaggerholm wrote:
I also recently, about 6 months back, bought the three spiders and they are definitely different poses.

Okay, it's strange then that I had 3 the same ones..

Anyway, to get back on topic:
My bet would go to the Company vs Spider encounter.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have the Ebob spiders too. Unassembled, in a box, awaiting developments.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I honestly don't know what's likely anymore. Assuming they brand all the new box sets Desolation of Smaug then you would assume they'd need a new Hardback Rulebook too as that is so clearly branded towards the first film (goblin town examples, scenarios, profiles) and not the trilogy in general. However, I still can't see them replacing a book of that size and quality within a year.

There could well be a starter boxset, even if they weren't planning it 12 months ago the figures would all be produced already, they'd just need to knock up the packaging, starter booklet etc. As for what would be contained within I called elves v spiders ages ago and I'm sticking to that although based on the trailer it looks like elves v orcs could also be a good contender, special edition model of Thranduil I reckon. Hopefully there'll be some cool new Mirkwood tress/scenery as well, that'd be nice.

For the book/rules I think/am hoping that there will be a new journey book with all the profiles/scenarios from the second film around the £25/30 mark. I've also started to wonder if that journey book will also contain all the previous stats from the Hobbit including Men of Dale and Yazneg. The Return of the King rulebook had all the profiles from the previous 2 films included so I think that the DOS book might be the upcoming publication mentioned in the FAQ, rather than an independent Unexpected Journey sourcebook. If there's a starter set then this book will hopefully be included in it.

Them's my thoughts.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welllllll...

By now, GW has had roughly a yea=r and a bit to adjust to the 3-not-2 movie plan. Lego, another major license holder, has an Elves vs Spiders set due. So, in terms of adjustment, its not a huge deal. It's entirely possible that GW might have planned "encounter sets" to leverage off important film moments, such as the spider scene. In such a case, its an easy enough process to scrap one set of box art, make a new set of box art and bung in a somewhat changed official rulebook (maybe, gasp, with points values this time).

So, I'd vote "possible" or even "likely"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmmm. If they do a starter set then it may well be Elf based. Either spiders or Orcs. If spiders I will probably get, if orcs... probably not. Said it before but what I really want is a plastic Smaug.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think they will do another box. They will use the same sprue for Thorin's company and they will have a team of Orcs and warg riders.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

aelfwine wrote:
Welllllll...

By now, GW has had roughly a yea=r and a bit to adjust to the 3-not-2 movie plan. Lego, another major license holder, has an Elves vs Spiders set due. So, in terms of adjustment, its not a huge deal. It's entirely possible that GW might have planned "encounter sets" to leverage off important film moments, such as the spider scene. In such a case, its an easy enough process to scrap one set of box art, make a new set of box art and bung in a somewhat changed official rulebook (maybe, gasp, with points values this time).

So, I'd vote "possible" or even "likely"

Lego already released their Elf v Spider set, but they didn't release it as DOS, they released it as AUJ but with a "preview" sticker on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

mikeland wrote:
Said it before but what I really want is a plastic Smaug.

I totally agree with you on that!
Don't think they would put a plastic smaug in the starter set though :no:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm hoping for wood elves with Thranduil and legolas or another elf as a limited edition, against some new foe. Probably not something already released as they will make more money with new things. Maybe orcs or spiders.

Also, what do you guys think the price of this set will be, about £100? Or something ridiculous like that?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Personally I believe we will see two more journeybooks but I believe this is the last core-rules update for the game, unless they do some kind of "Complete Saga Edition" that covers both the LOTR Trilogy and Hobbit Trilogy, from what I've heard about the licensing deal that's all they have time for.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really hope they divide it into 2 boxes one that contains Thorins Company and one that doesn't. If there even will be any new boxed sets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

wiirgy wrote:
I really hope they divide it into 2 boxes one that contains Thorins Company and one that doesn't. If there even will be any new boxed sets.

I really hope they dont put another box set with Thorin's company, they were already release in EFGT and it would really lower my desire to purchase the set if I were getting them again.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

JamesR wrote:
I really hope they dont put another box set with Thorin's company

That's a really interesting point, it seems like a complete no-brainer to include the company but maybe they won't have to. The 3 LOTR start sets were successful because they always had new figures, they never repeated the contents.

I mentioned this over on the new releases thread but I'm starting to wonder if they're holding back the Company in Finecast set from the rulebook to be released for Desolation of Smaug alongside a starter box that does not contain the Compnay. Thus, everyone who's bough Escape from Goblin Town could buy the new starter without repeating figures and any new players would presumably want to buy the new starter set and the Finecast company. This would be that rarest of things that would make both existing gamers and GW bean counters happy.

Also, if we assume they won't be updating the core rules (which I I think is a pretty safe bet), there's actually no reason that they couldn't keep both boxes on sale: An Unexpected Journey EFGT box and a Desolation of Smaug Mirkwood box. All they'd have to do is rebrand the front of the mini-rulebook for the new box.

Release that alongside a nice quality Journeybook and I'll be well pleased.

We shall see...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I wonder what proportion of "Starter Sets" are bought by people like us who started some what a long time ago! Looking forward to the next one and the one after that.

Hoping like most people for Elfs and Spiders, but most of all Smaug (Yes i know he wont be in a starter set, will he?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nah I wouldn't have thought so. My money's on a plastic Smaug around this time next year as I think Warner Bros might well hold back the design the way they did with Azog/the Fell Beasts to prevent leaks. I could well be wrong though, they certainly showed more of him in the trailer than I was expecting.

The new apocalypse 40k sets have set a new standard for massive, expensive plastic kits though. I think the new massive Khorne uber-tank is £95 so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a, very nice, huge Smaug for a similar price.

As for the starter sets I will almost certainly be buying any new ones that come along. As much as £75 is a big outlay I genuinely think the contents of that set are worth it and I'm sure the next ones will be too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:44 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Harfoot wrote:
I wonder what proportion of "Starter Sets" are bought by people like us who started some what a long time ago! Looking forward to the next one and the one after that.

I would bet a fairly large percentage, I know I have bought every one (I split the EFGT thou cuz it was so dang expensive). But as a experienced player you always are wanting the most current rules and the starters always offer a discount when compared to buying all the contained models outright.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dr Grant wrote:
The new apocalypse 40k sets have set a new standard for massive, expensive plastic kits though. I think the new massive Khorne uber-tank is £95 so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a, very nice, huge Smaug for a similar price.

Aye, I'd be shocked if a Smaug mini happened any other way.

From what I've heard recently GW invested in new mould-making tech partly in order to produce enourmous plastics, and looking at recent WHFB/WH40k releases, it seems like they were getting to grips with and getting the most out of it. If this is the case, the vortex beast, the riptide, the wraithknight and now the huge monstrosities for apocalypse are, in a away, leading up to smaug.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It will be something key to the movie that people are going to want.

Spiders vs the company could be it.

However, people may be less likely to buy it if it has the company in it seeing as a lot of people would have already gotten the company in the first starter set.

Perhaps they will have wood elves in the starter set.