All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Isengard Force WIP's
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No problem Gandalf. It's just experimenting with different paints for different things. Some stuff works out better than others.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

All I can do is echo what everybody else is saying. Your painting is top quality. Extremely impressive!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Bill.

I've got a box of Mordor orcs coming today and Grishnakh is in the post. This small allied contingent will fit the Isengard theme quite nicely.
I'll probably get started on the orcs tonight. I'm thinking of the same, various browns colour scheme recurring in the rest of the force with maybe the odd blue, red and green rags thrown in for variation. That way they will fit in to the Isengard army but stand out slightly too.

I might try for the skin colour on this excellently painted Grishnakh bust:
I love the dirty pink-purple and the way those blue eyes stare out. I have no idea how big the eyes are on the Grishnakh mini but I would really like to capture that mad stare.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:51 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

This may be one of those that's only possible on the bigger figures. It would be nice to see though, good luck.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Grishnakh mini's eyes are REALLY small, so I don't know if you'd manage such an effect. The mottled purple colour would look excellent and much better than GWs fleshy colour.

I look forward to seeing your mordor orcs to hopefully inspire me to paint my first army - Mordor. A few pointers would be welcome once you've painted them too :D

VG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, he still hasn't arrived yet so we'll see when he gets here.

I have my Mordor orcs box now so I'll get a test model cleaned up and painted sometime soon. I think I'll try for browns and creams with either blue, purple or green spot colours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:05 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I hope you can do it but I think you would need a 70mm figure to do it some justice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think you might be right mate. I did manage a few good eyes in my time but all on Warhammer models like this rat ogre:
Warhammer eyes are typically bigger and more cartoony than LOTR models so Grishnakh's baby-blue eyes are probably just a pipe dream. :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:50 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh, and I just have the highlights to complete on my first test orc and I discovered a pretty cool trick to speed up the basing stage.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is my first orc. The upload was later than expected because Grishanakh arrived in the post and I just had to admire him!

I'm not very happy with this. The blue is too rich and also clashes with the orange-brown of the shoulder and side but that's what test models are for I suppose :P
I'll try a subdued teal-green on the others and see how that goes.

One good thing to come out of this was the base. Normally I prime black, undercoat the entire model Charred Brown and then paint the miniature leaving the base until last.

On this I glued the sand down before priming brown which cut out the undercoat stage AND sealed the sand making the basing stage so much quicker and less messy.
Much easier and quicker with less mess. Result!

The model was painted in the same way as all the other rank-and-file in the army: Basecoat, wash and single highlight on everything, except the flesh, which gets two highlights.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:55 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Superb orc :D

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:19 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think the orc turned out fine. The way I look at it, is that they Orcs probably steal half of the clothing they wear off of dead enemies anyway. I also glue my basing material down before I prime the miniature, as it seems to seal it onto the base and keeps it from coming off later.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:41 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I agree on the blue, it's too much. The teal green would be in keeping with the overall look though I'd be tempted to try a red.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:33 am 
Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
I agree on the blue, it's too much. The teal green would be in keeping with the overall look though I'd be tempted to try a red.

I agree with that...an off red would fit in quite well I think! But a stunning mini again! Its impressive what kind of results you achieve with one or two highlights! I love the way the skin turned out!
I love this thread :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

.:Gunslinger:. wrote:
I agree with that...an off red would fit in quite well I think! But a stunning mini again! Its impressive what kind of results you achieve with one or two highlights! I love the way the skin turned out!
I love this thread :)

I agree completely too with everything you said. Especially the bit about loving the skin and this thread! :D
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks guys. I just changed it to black in the end and it looked fine :D
Very orcy.

Anyway, here's Grishankh.
Yeah, I couldn't do the blue eyes. I did almost get there but it just looked jumbled so I repainted them and went with the standard black and white eyes.

I was intimidated by this mini when it arrived yesterday as it's drenched in details and it took a fair bit of studying to work out what's what and which bits of rag should be the same colours etc but in the end it was one of the most enjoyable mini's I have ever painted.
I love painting filth, rags and rust so it was right up my street.

Hat-tip to Gunslinger for the idea of using a bit of Iraqui Sand in every highlight to tie the colours together (incidentally, for further colour cohesion, every single colour also had VGC Smoke mixed into the basecoat) and another Hat-tip to Minimal Monkey Saddle for the simple yet amazing idea of painting the eyes of a mini BEFORE everything else :D The amount of times I've nearly ruined a completed face because of slipping up on the eyes is staggering.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:10 am 
Out of this world! I love the skin, a very different colour to what you normally see but it works great! Could you tell me how you painted the red areas around the eyes? Do you work with glazes? I also like the very dark almost black armour/clothing...a great combination. Definately my favourite of your LOTR minis!!!
I m glad that you liked my tip-keep up the good work, you are a great inspiration for me!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi Gunslinger. I nearly always use a glaze for the flesh of a miniatures face (as long as the face is light enough to benefit from a glaze) usually by mixing paint, glaze medium and tons of water but the glaze on the eyes of this mini is more an ultra thin wash. It was heavily watered down Baal Red, worked toward the underside of the eye in a few layers and then the flesh was slightly redefined with a thin stroke of the final highlight mixture.
Glad you liked the armour! That was an experiment that turned out better than I expected. I love it when that happens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Simply amazing!
How do you get the skin so smooth?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Erunion Yeah, I'll definitely be doing my rank and file bases like this from now on.
@LordElrond and ElfLover. Aw cheers guys. Thanks for looking and commenting.
@Sid. Glad you think it's smooth :D
I find a good trick is to choose a mid-tone basecoat (as opposed to a dark basecoat) and provide shading with a slightly darker wash.

To build up highlights make up a mix of your basecoat, (plus water to thin) and glaze medium and elsewhere on the palette make up a workable mixture of your chosen highlight colour.
Then it's just a case of adding dots of the highlight into to the basecolour mix and applying your highlights. More layers and smaller amounts of highlight added each time will result in a smooth transition. You need to make sure teh paint is thin too or else it will go on too opaque and ruin the blending.
Hope this helps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next