All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:33 pm

Post subject: Stand Fast Question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

When your force is broken and your hero takes his courage test, does his stand fast affect those within 6" of his starting or his finishing position?

Post subject: Re: Stand Fast Question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

His finishing, but I don't have the rulebook to hand, so I cannot give a qoute. ;)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I thought that you do all of your courage tests at the start of the movement phase before you move anything, although I could be wrong?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That's not exactly how it goes. Every models must make a Courage Test at the beginning of his movement. Since you can only move models one at a time (and you may not move model A, then model B and then again model A), you have to test for Courage for model A, move him, test for model B and move him, test for model C, etc.

Now this is where Stand Fast comes in: let the Hero take his Courage Test first (before he moves), and then after he has moved, other models can move. Now, all Warriors starting within 6" of any friendly Hero who has passed his Courage Test, do not have to test for Courage themselves.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

do Stand Fast rolls require might? I'm fuzzy on this

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Isilduhrr wrote:

Nope, they don't. They only require you to test and move your Hero before Warriors within 6".
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Courage Tests are made by individual models before they move, or would be allowed to move. I say this last point because you can't simply state "I'm not going to move my Goblin, so he doesn't need to make a Courage Test." If at the end of your Move phase you have any models that were able to move but you did not move them you still have to check Courage for them.

If, when it's their turn to check, any normal warriors have a Hero within range that has already passed a Courage Test then they can use that Hero's Stand Fast. So if your Hero is among a group of troops, passes his Courage Test and moves outside of Stand Fast range then he can no longer help those models.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fëanor, the mighty elf wrote:
Isilduhrr wrote:

Nope, they don't. They only require you to test and move your Hero before Warriors within 6".

Well, it depends on how badly you rolled the dice of course! :wink:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What about a heroic Move? Lets say your force is broken and then you want to call a Heroic move. Your Captain makes his stand fast, then moves as he must move 1st for the Heroic. Now all the guys that were with him are out of range for their courage test or are they considered to be moving at the same time so then your stand fast is in effect for those guys within range when the "with me" was called? Also if that's the case, when the Hero is completed with his move does his stand fast now also effect units that he has now moved within 6 of? Seems like a double dip. :no:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It is a little of a double-dip but it's one that cost you a point of Might. Also, it's not quite as sweet as your example, but it can still be VERY useful.

Heroic Move - you spend Might to do it, then test Courage for the Hero and (if he passes), mark his starting point and move him. He's done.

With Me! - Any models that were within 6" of his starting point may make a With Me! move, ending within 6" of his new location. The rules for Stand Fast says the Hero must be within 6" of the warrior at the start of his Move. Now, if you moved your Hero too far then some of those warriors that can use With Me may no longer be in range of Stand Fast. It's at the start of the Warrior's move, not the Move phase. But you can probably have some or most still protected if you don't go too far.

Now that you have moved your Hero, the Stand Fast bubble continues from where he is so any warriors that have not yet moved but are now close enough (thanks to Heroic Move) can benefit from Stand Fast.

It would be pretty embarrassing to call an Heroic Move, charge forward, and then find the five or six guys you left behind spook and run leaving your fearless Hero hanging in the breeze. So do be careful.

TANSTAAFL

http://TacticsInMiniature.com