All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:23 pm

Post subject: Dwarves army
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was just thinking up an army for the dwarves, if anyone could tell me what you think or things that should change. Firstly Thorin with 6 KG and 6 warriors of erebor with spear. Kili (with bow) 12 dwarf warriors with bow. Finally Dwalin and 6 warriors of erebor and 4 iron guard. Im quite new to the hobby so tell me whats wrong?
 Post subject: Re: Dwarves army
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

being blunt, everything. Have you got the new hobbit rulebook and the SBG sourcebooks? They'll tell you everything you need to know.

Unfortunately, Erebor and Durins's Folk are seperate lists. This means that Thorin cannot lead khazad guard and Dain cannot lead grimhammers. Furthermore, Kili is from the Thorin's Company list which means he can only be in a warband which compromises of (any number) the 13 dwarves ( +bilbo and gandalf).

You can ally between lists but heroes can only lead troops from their lists.

Hoe this helps, dont be afraid to ask questions if you need further explanation.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Funny how you remember the separate lists , yet in the GBHL i heard something about how one of the player's was going to use khazad guard with erebor warriors with spears as back up in one of the videos ( the one with the converted grimhammer's ).. i was just thinking err hang on a second :)

" Use D7 khazad guard S4 backed up by my converted Grimhammer's which are now Warriors of Erebor with shield and spear" I swear i heard it in one of the videos.

Come the final film with Dain in im sure they expand the warriors of erebor to be led by Dain Ironfoot seeing as he becomes new king in final film after the battle of five armies.

I wonder if they will do that strange thing they did in the source books ( this hero can upgrade units type special rule ) in the Hobbit range of models.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SD got it right, it's an illegal list.

If you're new, the best things you can do is grab:

1: Hobbit: AUJ hardback rulebook: this has the point values and army lists for the new Erebor/Thorins Company miniature line.
2: The Free Peoples Sourcebook: This has the point values and army lists for the older Khazud-Dum/Iron-Hills/War of the Ring era Dwarf lists.

Pick which you wish to collect (or both) and come back with a revised army list.

My SBG WIP thread.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's SD's army which is Erebor converted from grimmhammers with shields and spears... You could use khazad as allies with a leader from their list... Then merge the warbands once you start moving.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You could have thorin lead 12 erebor warriors with spear as warband 1 and gimli leadin 12 iron guard as warband 2 and it is totally legal, but if you mix warriors and heroes from different army lists in the same warband it becomes illegal.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the help, I will get the rulebook, but i dont have £50 to spend. I also heard on GBHL that they mixed khazad guard with erebor. I did not think of mixing warbands either. Two more questions, can dain lead both of them? And is it worth having dwarf archers?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No dain cannot lead either of them and dwarf bowmen are quite good if your facing against def 5 opponents. About the rule book,you can get it on darksphere for £40 as well as numerous other sites, yes it's expensive but 100% worth it!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The army you're referring to from the GBHL had Old Style Balin (from Durin's Folk) leading 12 Khazad Guard and Dwalin leading 12 Erebor warriors with spear. Perfectly legal - They weren't mixed warbands but during the game the player combined them to form a battle line.

Dain can only lead warriors from Durin's Folk (like Khazad Guard) at the movement so can't lead warriors of Erebor etc. Expect that to change next year following the release of the third film where Dain leads dwarf warriors to the Battle of Five Armies.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dwarf heroes i have; Gimli, Thorin (rest of thorins company), I have some khazad guard, what i might get is iron guard and some warriors of erebor. What else do you think i should get for a good army (heroes or warriors)? Any thoughts or what your opinions are.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The GW made up Balin is pretty good. If you care about theme and stuff forget about balin and gimli then get dain or even a generic captain the lead the khazads. That would make quite a nice battle of 5 armies themed army as a matter of fact.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

DwarfWarrior wrote:
Dwarf heroes i have; Gimli, Thorin (rest of thorins company), I have some khazad guard, what i might get is iron guard and some warriors of erebor. What else do you think i should get for a good army (heroes or warriors)? Any thoughts or what your opinions are.

The King's Champion is pretty decent, you should certainly get him if you are thinking about getting competitive.

Other than that: I think with the new film a lot of new (probably overpowered as well) Dwarfs will be released so don't spend all your money yet :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Good point