All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well GW as a company compared to Warner Brothers = Time Warner

GW worth = around 122 Million GBP mark last time i checked

Time Warner worth = approaching 16.8 Billion GBP Mark

so yeah if i was GW id be scared.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:37 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

A few more tidbits from the last few days...

One report from a reliable source says he heard from his local retailer (who presumably might have a release list to order from by now) that there are no Tyranids in December but there is a Hobbit expansion.

This would certainly be supported by the fact that, 8 days out from the WD release, there is still no more rumours about the Tyranids. A major 40K or fantasy release would almost certainly have a release list and rules rumours by this point which is promising for us Hobbit fans.

Also, yesterday GW Digital Editions releases a preview pic of a new digital product being released in December, the link's below:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

All the chatter seems to be about whether this is a deamon prince or Eldar or Tyranid but I think there's an outside possibility this is Hobbit related. It could be Smaug's wing in the background and the hand could be the Necromancer holding a Palantir. After all, we have no real idea how the Necromancer will be portrayed in the film beyond the brief glimpse in AUJ and the Lego figure.

I'm probably swinging in the dark here and it's fantasy/40K related but it gives us something else fun to discuss whilst this unbearable wait for news goes on!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks for the news Dr Grant.

A Hobbit ‘expansion’ sounds interesting, it guess it might refer to source/journey book or maybe even a mini starter set, possibly that only has evil models and assumes you already have Thorin’s Company (pure speculation).

My first thought about the digital preview was that it might be Hobbit related. The Throne of Skulls rules did refer to SBG digital books. Of course it may just have been a blanket statement to cover all possible future situations.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

One can only hope. I know I'm guilty that last night i had a dream that images were leaked from WD. But as always when I dream about something that I'm looking forward to, they were utter garbage. :D. Gonna have to try to pace myself with it though when it does come out, because I've just gone and added a ton of Numenoreans and Easterlings to my already bulbous "Emergency LotR Pile".

And it would be seriously cool if there was something necromancer related as an Expansion. Maybe a collection of historical Sauron related scenarios not based around the last alliance or something, with a unique army list or something built around him. Probably not, but i can dream, right?

Even if it's not this time, the digital only expansion thing they've got going on seems like a great opportunity to capitalise on getting new LotR rules and scenarios out there without having to interrupt anythig, or even necerserily release new miniatures. It's win win. Minimal production costs and almost nil stocking costs are great bedfellows with selling products to a reduced audience. Although the realisation that we equate roughly alongside "Imperial Fists 3rd Company" and "Iyanden" in terms of customerbase is a touch depressing.

In fact, I've come to a realisation this past week or so - sod the Dragon, it's the Necromancer I'm looking forward to the most! Genuinely intrigued how they'll turn a shadowy and detailess shape into an interesting miniature (unless he's had some design updates between films - everyone else has, after all). And, of course, Sauron, as an actual in movie character, interacting with other characters! So excited about seeing (and playing) that.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The 40k fans at dakka are getting worried.They think its cutting very close. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Images of WD December 2013 cover are "image removed by request of Games-Workshop" on sites that sell it. So it is out there, people are looking at it, people are getting phones out and snapping photo's and figuring out how to post them with a disguised identity somewhere... We just have to wait a bit longer. But I can tell you this, if the cover had 40K artwork or Fantasy stuff, the image would not have been taken down, fact.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

another thing to talk about, how many legs will smaug have, i have seen clips comparing the extended edition to the normal film and a scene where smaug is trampelling dwarves changed so that he only had 2 legs and instead of forelegs trampelling dwarves it was claws on wings?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

There seems to be speculation that Smaug has been changed to be more Wyvern-ish. (Not that such distinctions matter much outside of some fairly petty corners of the internet. To most people a dragon is a dragon is a dragon, whether it has wings, legs or a moustache.)

I actually quite like the idea, for a few reasons: first, it is a more realistic take on an animal. Yes, this is a fantasy film, but the best fantasy has it's feet firmly on the ground. By keeping Smaug as close to nature as possible, they sell the more fantastical elements far easier .

Second, the Wyvern style dragon is remeniscent of bats, which have some pretty scary connotations in western society (disease, vampires, blood drinking, etc. And with reference to the vampire part of the cultural subconsciousness, death and supernatural power. Useful things to conjure up in your audiences mind without having to actually do anything. Their brain does the work for you.) This gives even his silhouette an immediate feel of danger., as is just and proper for a Dragon of his caliber.

Thirdly, it ties in with Jackson's Fell Beasts, suggesting that perhaps they are a unique breed of lesser creatures created in the images of Dragons. It's a nice bit of continuity between films.

Then again, I also think that four legs plus wings looks daft, so I'm probably biased.

One thing's for sure - this has to be THE greatest movie dragon in history, or PJ has failed, simple as. Smaug is the greatest dragon in literature, so he must also be in film. Incidentally, i also hold this to GW - if this isn't the best dragon miniature ever produced, someone needs firing. Strict, yes. But I feel it's a justifiable target to set.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i agree with your last point but i disagree that a two legged wyvern is better, i fell that pj needs to stick to the books more and tolkiens image of a red 4 legged dragon, he has added characters and removed things but i think that changing the dragon design would only upset fans but tolkien if he was seeing this, it would be as significant, in my opinion if they made frodo a wizard. I just think that to have a modern twist is good but he needs to stick to traditionalism a bit more with the book and details about smaug
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Fair enough. The traditional dragon look certainly has it's merits, and you raise a good point about sticking to Tolkien's vision wherever possible (and certainly the appearance of the dragon would have no significant impact on the conversion from book to film, so that can't be used to justify any changes - such as was the case with the need to resurrect Azog, and expand the necromancer plotline).

I hope whatever design is settled on is satisfying to us all. And awesome. It needs to be awesome. :)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

im expecting top TOP quality models
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Suprised we still haven't had any leaked W.D. pictures for december yet... GW are getting too good at keeping a lid on things -.-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm surprised the new White Dwarf Daily hasn't come out yet, the only times that it doesn't update by the middle of the day is when they're about to announce stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Spoke with Rob at OzHammer last night, and he confirmed there is a 'Hobbit release' in December, but no more details available as of this time. He's going to let me know when he hears anything new.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Good to hear! Thanks Athelas.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

crixalis wrote:
Suprised we still haven't had any leaked W.D. pictures for december yet... GW are getting too good at keeping a lid on things -.-

there also good on keeping a lid on lotr frelated cutting us out :gandalf:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

New plastic legolas and tauriel!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yup, my money is on plastic legolas, Tauriel, some mirkwood elves and some spiders/dol guldor orcs :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Interesting, I've just read that too.

The plastic bit intrigues me. I wonder if they were always so (they must have been underway during AUJ) or whethert he year break has provided enough time to abandon FC for hobbit, too.

So, money on Book, Elves and Spiders then? Perhaps some version of the company too? That leaves plenty of stuff to fill out the next twelve months with, hopefully.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

black1blade wrote:
New plastic legolas and tauriel!

Creaky wrote:
Interesting, I've just read that too.

The plastic bit intrigues me. I wonder if they were always so (they must have been underway during AUJ) or whethert he year break has provided enough time to abandon FC for hobbit, too.

So, money on Book, Elves and Spiders then? Perhaps some version of the company too? That leaves plenty of stuff to fill out the next twelve months with, hopefully.

Can we get a link to the source of that rumour? :D

*Edit* Aha, just found this, I guess it may be where the info's from...

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/de ... eases.html

Last edited by crixalis on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 51  Next